Tomas Tatar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He seems to get knocked off the puck a bit more easily than I recall. And he hangs back instead of attacking the puck like he used to. Used to be he was the first one in and fighting like a bulldog to get that puck back on the forecheck. Now he'll let Sheahan or Jurco go in and wait for it to squirt loose.

He's also coughing up the puck a little more lately. He went through that 15 game stretch where he was really hot and making smart decisions. Now he's trying to do a bit too much on his own again. Even Mick (or was it Ken?) commented on it versus the Sabres. He didn't call out Tats specifically, but as we were on the PP and the Sabres cleared as a result of a failed Tats entry, he said "sometimes you have to use your teammates more" or something to that effect.

I love the guy and he's been producing pretty steadily. I don't think I'm biased and seeing something that's not there.

I think this is by design and a coaching impact. Tatar would also overrun plays and his aggressive turnovers were a lot more damaging.

He is reading the game as you would expect a second year player to do and his role with a quick line is to hang back a little more often and take advantage of the space those two players create. He is the shooter, in our offense that guy hangs out high more often than not, really that is true of virtually every hockey team from junior on up.

I like the progression in Tatar's game. It doesn't mean he might not be moved at some point which angers the masses around here. But I have no issues with Tatar, he has a lot more controlled aggression in his game. That to me is a sign of the maturation process. Though I think he is going to be a fairly streaky player at the end of the day, I like what he does driving possession and I like that ability to throw a change up and offer different looks, it is very important at the NHL level.

Tatar is having a great season for the most part. He is better defensively and more consistently using his teammates and spacing throughout the ice. He can still become too puck dominant, but while gone is some of the flash that brought oohs and ahs along with puck battles that he was tenacious and not really winning is a more consistent threat without some of the trappings of the other guy. Sure turnovers will still happen, but it is hard not to like Tats' development he has fixed a lot of his trouble spots while maintaining and accentuating some of his strengths. Important secondary scoring piece that dictates a lot of flow in the game.

I think what you're commenting on though is his penchant to be a little streaky. It has always been there, but I see a smarter player in Tatar this season and I think that accounts for what sometimes looks like a drop off in effort.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I gotta be honest, I don't think he's been that consistent lately. He's definitely looked better last year and at points this year.
Compared to other forwards he has been very consistant. Hard to call anyone consistant as we just went through 6 goals in 6 games.
I'd argue that Datsyuk and Helm have been our two best forwards most nights during the winless streak, but Tatar is consistently getting and creating chances as well. What a fun spark plug to watch.

Not easy to find any player playing realgud during the winless streak.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I think what you're commenting on though is his penchant to be a little streaky. It has always been there, but I see a smarter player in Tatar this season and I think that accounts for what sometimes looks like a drop off in effort.

Maybe? I don't think so though.

For example, I don't get that feeling out of guys like Nyquist or Datsyuk. It's possible to be a smart player and to look like you're going 100% the whole time.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Got my Winter Classic jersey all crested up with Tatar as a Christmas gift.

Gonna look pretty sick at the game n the 27th in Ottawa. I am willing to bet I will be the only person with a Tatar jersey at the game.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I enjoyed kamikaze Tatar too but that is not a very effective way to play over the long term. This is especially true when you are a small player. Plus now that he is playing with good players he should use them more. The young guys looked wore out last year by the time the playoffs rolled around. This year they'll be more ready. I Def think Tats can be a 30/30 guy. He is going to be our clutch Kozzie type player going forward.

Brandel*

Red Wings' Tomas Tatar emerging as very bankable asset

Tatar had 19 goals last season, and is well on his way to topping 20 this season. To essentially be a two-time 20-goal scorer at age 24 makes Tatar intriguing as a trade asset. The Wings are eager to add a top-four defenseman who shoots right, and to get someone of quality - like Buffalo's Tyler Myers - it would take a young hotshot. Maybe the Wings can sway the Sabres with Tatar and defenseman Jakub Kindl (who doesn't seem to have a future in Detroit), along with a second-round draft pick. It helps tremendously that another prospect is banging on the door, as Teemu Pulkkinen is having a standout season with Grand Rapids. He's already delivered an AHL-leading 19th goal of the season, and he shoots right, with NHL-caliber delivery.

Tatar has helped make the Wings a viable playoff team again this season, and his value could end up strengthening them as a Stanley Cup contender.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

What a dumb story to publish. How does trading your leading goal scorer make you better? One defenseman isn't going to allow the entire group to suddenly make outlet passes. Every pairing nearly sucks out there. Trading a 30-goal scorer on a cheap 3-year contract is a terrible suggestion. Helen St. James should have thought longer on this story. Instead of celebrating Tatar's growth as a player and writing a story around that she focused on making up trade ideas to move him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
What a dumb story to publish. How does trading your leading goal scorer make you better? One defenseman isn't going to allow the entire group to suddenly make outlet passes. Every pairing nearly sucks out there. Trading a 30-goal scorer on a cheap 3-year contract is a terrible suggestion. Helen St. James should have thought longer on this story. Instead of celebrating Tatar's growth as a player and writing a story around that she focused on making up trade ideas to move him.

That's pretty scary that she's writing that though. She's not one to speculate too much.

It's very intriguing to move him to get Myers if Pulks can actually fill the shoes. Trading our leading scorer doesn't sound all that smart though. Especially when we have such trouble scoring.

Kronner, Myers
Dekeyser, Q
Big E, Smith (This has disaster written all over it)

That is definitely better but I would prefer getting Ouellet in there somehow. Trade Big E for a pick.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada

Exactly, dumb article. Plus Tatar is on pace for over thirty this year, about 33, she should check her facts. We need to switch two defensemen, in trades, with atleast one being a righty....

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
That's pretty scary that she's writing that though. She's not one to speculate too much.

Sure she is. She needs people to click on her articles. The mere fact that she believes Pulkkinen can step right into the NHL in a top 6 role and be just as effective as Tatar is crazy talk.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Sure she is. She needs people to click on her articles. The mere fact that she believes Pulkkinen can step right into the NHL in a top 6 role and be just as effective as Tatar is crazy talk.

She doesn't believe anything though... this person has never had an original thought in her life. She literally is the spokesperson for the organization. So it's not that she believes it, it's that someone inside the organization told her they believe it.

Tatar is good, but the team really needs a right handed D-man. After last night, it is clear that this team will tread water until they have a guy who can make that first pass.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'm not really against trading Tatar depending on the return. If we get Yandle for Tatar? I'm down. You have to give to get, the idea we can just trade unproven talent for proven talent doesn't always work.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I don't get a lot of the talk around trading Tatar. "Yeah, but he's good! Don't trade him!" Trading bad players doesn't get you much back.

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I don't really think that trading your team's leading goal scorer is a good idea. Especially on a team that is struggling to score. Jurco would be a much better piece to trade, even if we would have to bundle him with something.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't get a lot of the talk around trading Tatar. "Yeah, but he's good! Don't trade him!" Trading bad players doesn't get you much back.

You can't win games without scoring goals. Didn't we learn this last night? This team drops 2-1, 3-1 games, not the 4-5 variety.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I love that people continue to bandy about the idea that a guy who has scored zero NHL goals can replace Tatar. No one on our NHL squad is matching Tatar's scoring, but Pulkinnen can surely replace him. :rolleyes:.

The only guy Id probably trade Tatar for (of the rumored names available) is Yandle, because Yandle is as proven as you can get, the right age, and doesn't have injury concerns. I also see no reason why we wouldn't be able to re-sign him. Sure he's risky defensively at times, but so is our #2 "stay at home" defenseman.

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I love that people continue to bandy about the idea that a guy who has scored zero NHL goals can replace Tatar. No one on our NHL squad is matching Tatar's scoring, but Pulkinnen can surely replace him. :rolleyes:.

Exactly. Even if someone has a long term injury, and Pulu looks good in his call up, you can never be sure that he will continue to produce over a strand of seasons. Look at Jurco. He is on pace for a season worse than last year, and that was in a shortened period.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
This is the 3rd season in a row in Detroit that Tatar has been near the top in both Corsi and goals/60. That's a pattern. It's not just a random occurrence anymore. He's a possession driving player who can skate, has a passion for scoring goals, has scored some timely goals, and is rounding out his overall game.

There has to be better ways to improve the backend without parting with him. What you noticeably gain you will noticeably lose. And I don't buy for a second that Pulkinnen replaces his NHL production or value.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
With Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Mantha, and maybe Athanasiou, and Janmark that's 7 wingers who are at, near, or have the potential to be top 6 wingers. There are only 4 spots available. Someone's gotta go eventually. That wing wealth should be spread around to the defense now because that is where it's sorely needed.

- Mantha is untouchable, so he's off the table.

- Nyquist and Tatar are both proven NHL performers at this point and they would net the greatest return in trade, however they are also currently the most important to this team out of that bunch.

- Jurco has great assets, high-end skill and size. Those two are a great, and rare, mix. But he's still unproven, so other teams would not offer what his future worth is likely to be.

- Pulkkinen is doing great in the NHL and has some deadly assets. But he is totally unproven at the NHL level and, like Jurco, we would be selling low.

- Athanasiou and Janmark have potential, but they are mid round draft picks and would not net much in trade. They have more organizational value in developing them than in trading them.

So to me, based on this list. One of Nyquist and Tatar will likely have to be traded in order to obtain a quality top 4 defensemen, and will surely have to be traded to acquire a top 2 D. No one's gonna be happy if/when one of these guys is traded, but as others have said you need to give to get.

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
This is the 3rd season in a row in Detroit that Tatar has been near the top in both Corsi and goals/60. That's a pattern. It's not just a random occurrence anymore. He's a possession driving player who can skate, has a passion for scoring goals, has scored some timely goals, and is rounding out his overall game.

There has to be better ways to improve the backend without parting with him. What you noticeably gain you will noticeably lose. And I don't buy for a second that Pulkinnen replaces his NHL production or value.

Depends how much you want to improve. IMO if we're not trading Tatar, Nyquist, Larkin or Mantha I don't see us getting an impact defenseman.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Depends how much you want to improve. IMO if we're not trading Tatar, Nyquist, Larkin or Mantha I don't see us getting an impact defenseman.

if we trade tatar or nyquist, we would lose a lot if firepower upfront. kenny has basically never traded prospect like mantha or larkin and i don't think it's going to happen now.

pulks, mantha or some other kid would have to prove first that they can score and drive offense like those players, otherwise it's more or less lateral move.

we are 19th atm in 5on5 goal scoring. tatar is our best 5on5 goal scorer.

but yeah, we are likely not getting impact defenseman. and it's probably not worth it to get one.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
if we trade tatar or nyquist, we would lose a lot if firepower upfront. kenny has basically never traded prospect like mantha or larkin and i don't think it's going to happen now.

pulks, mantha or some other kid would have to prove first that they can score and drive offense like those players, otherwise it's more or less lateral move.

we are 19th atm in 5on5 goal scoring. tatar is our best 5on5 goal scorer.

but yeah, we are likely not getting impact defenseman. and it's probably not worth it to get one.

But as has been speculated many times, the lack of a good, offensively inclined d-man (apart from Kronwall) is hurting our offense. Perhaps with more firepower in the backend it would help our other forwards.

The loss of Tatar, and especially Nyquist, would hurt. But overall, I think this team is better with an added top 2 d-man + Pulkkinen than they are with just Tatar or Nyquist.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
But as has been speculated many times, the lack of a good, offensively inclined d-man (apart from Kronwall) is hurting our offense. Perhaps with more firepower in the backend it would help our other forwards.

The loss of Tatar, and especially Nyquist, would hurt. But overall, I think this team is better with an added top 2 d-man + Pulkkinen than they are with just Tatar or Nyquist.

Who is going to trade us a top 2 defensemen? I think any move of Gus or Tatar for a defensemen will be a lateral move at best because no one will trade us a truly impactful defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad