Value of: Tomas Hertl & Sharks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Last 12 games
0 Goals
4 assists

last 5 games zeros

the Sharks are light years behind Kings & Ducks in rebuild - Coyotes will be top 3 prospects lists for years

if Hertl wants to stay in SJ he’s not doing a great job of showing it whereas DeBrusk who wants out badly of Boston is 8 G 2 A +10 last 8 games and it could be 16 goals he’s had so many chances

the human mind at play here

complicating matters is a 3 team limit where he can go and their GM situation

Colorado would be close for him and make them monsters but they traded their one this year and Sharks probably want to start rebuild now

I’m the Sharks as much as sucks if he agrees to a team who will pay at least 80% of what he would have got on entire league of potential buyers, you trade him at his age and miles looking at 6 to 8 year deal in $8 M per neighborhood

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Last 12 games
0 Goals
4 assists

last 5 games zeros

the Sharks are light years behind Kings & Ducks in rebuild - Coyotes will be top 3 prospects lists for years

if Hertl wants to stay in SJ he’s not doing a great job of showing it whereas DeBrusk who wants out badly of Boston is 8 G 2 A +10 last 8 games and it could be 16 goals he’s had so many chances

Colorado would be close for him and make them monsters but they traded their one this year and Sharks probably want to start rebuild now

I’m the Sharks as much as sucks if he agrees to a team who will pay at least 80% of what he would have got on entire league of potential buyers, you trade him at his age and miles looking at 6 to 8 year deal in $8 M per neighborhood
Wow. Hertl is worth every penny the Sharks or any other team would pay him. Hes also worth every asset a team would give up to get him. Including a 1st and top prospect it most assuredly will cost.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
He's my favorite player, and one of the few reasons the Sharks are tolerable to watch, but the org would be wise to let him go. I also think they need to look at moving Meier. If you move those two before next year, you're probably looking at a bottom 5 pick in a really good draft.

On the other hand, you need some quality vets in the roster to bring guys along. Hertl is the perfect guy to insulate someone like Eklund. I'm not sure that Eklund-Couture-Dahlen, Balcers-UFA?-Labanc is going to result in anything other than getting shelled. Of Equal importance there is no size, and none coming. Need to prevent Eklund from getting bullied. Not that Meier (or especially Hertl) are tough, but their size would help insulate the small prospects.

The Sharks seem to think the fans won't tolerate a rebuild/tank, but it's happening anyway. May as well embrace it, and look to shorten it. A lot has actually gone okay this year. No one projected Meier as an elite winger, Karlsson (when healthy) back to #1 D level, Reimer ended up a legit starter, decent pick ups that were low cost in Barbanov, Dahlen, Balcers, and Bonino, Ferraro improved, and Middleton ended up being surprisingly solid.

More importantly, I can't see things possibly going 'more' right next year particularly with 42% of the cap (EK, Burns, Vlasic, Couture) likely to get progressively worse.

Even with Hertl, Barbanov, and Meier returning, I think the Sharks are likely bottom 5-7 next year.

One other thing, I expect is feeling down because he knows it's time to move on.

Blow it up.
:(

Reactions: themelkman

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Sharks are in trouble if they try to re-sign him.

Couture
Hertl
Vlasic
Burns
Karlsson
Core isn’t good enough to compete but would eat all their cap.

For Sharks it would be important to sell him for futures, he’d bring in a great return

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Star player been phenomenal for Franchise for 10 years. Has bad 10 games and your questioning his commitment to the team?

I don't think its unfair to point out that the deadline is clearly weighing on his mind and if he was confident he was going to stay, that wouldn't be the case.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Sharks have to move him. Doesn't really matter what the return ends up being.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Aside from picks, what are the Sharks needs? And particular positions of interest for prospects... or best prospect available regardless of position?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Does anyone know what his 3-team trade list is?

No. If he was smart, he would have picked teams that either wouldn't make sense to go after Hertl or that the Sharks wouldn't want to deal with (AZ, LA, Ducks, Ottawa, etc) just to be able to get full control on who he would waive for.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Sharks are in trouble if they try to re-sign him.

Couture
Hertl
Vlasic
Burns
Karlsson
Core isn’t good enough to compete but would eat all their cap.

For Sharks it would be important to sell him for futures, he’d bring in a great return
Sharks didn't get where they are by making the prudent decisions.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I'm not even sure they're at the re-build stage. They have too many bloated salaries on the roster to make room for young guys. It's a tough spot to be in.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm not even sure they're at the re-build stage. They have too many bloated salaries on the roster to make room for young guys. It's a tough spot to be in.

They have eight guys on the injured list. They’re not having problems having room for young guys. They simply don’t have a lot. A Hertl deal will settle them into the bottom five next season when they may actually start rebuilding.

Reactions: Gecklund

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
So what’s the ask on Hertl and/or Meier? Meier has a bit of a painful QO, which might lower his value to a playoff team versus an RFA who has a reasonable QO (he still would have great value).

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Last 12 games
0 Goals
4 assists

last 5 games zeros

It’s not a 3 team limit on where he can go. It’s a 3 team limit on if they have to ask or not. I feel like he wouldn’t have an issue going to any team that has a chance at the playoffs. There are two top contenders that have huge holes at C (MIN/BOS) with good prospect pools that will both probably make good offers on him. He should still return a 1st+good prospect pretty easily. Something like 1st+Lysell+cap from BOS or 1st+Marat+cap from MIN both with varying other stuff but as a base.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So what’s the ask on Hertl and/or Meier? Meier has a bit of a painful QO, which might lower his value to a playoff team versus an RFA who has a reasonable QO (he still would have great value).
A painful QO? Guy is over a PPG and 25…. Ask for Timo is huge. Blue chip prospects+picks.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

Meier's trade value should be similar to Sam Reinhart's. Reinhart didn't have the poison pill QO but his arb case scared some teams away which is pretty much the same thing.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
You don't like his QO, then sign him to a long term deal. It's not like you can only sign him to a one year deal

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021
If Hertl gets traded to the Bruins, Sharks already lose that trade automatically. Boston has absolutely nothing even somewhat on the level Sharks need to get back for him even if they throw multiple prospects in there. Save Debrusk for a Labanc deal.

Reactions: Cowumbus and Groo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad