Value of: Tomas Hertl & Sharks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You don't like his QO, then sign him to a long term deal. It's not like you can only sign him to a one year deal

The problem is Meier has no incentive to sign a long term deal unless it's a significant overpay. As soon as you qualify him he immediately has the trump card of just signing the one year $10M QO and becoming a UFA at age 27.

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015
If Hertl gets traded to the Bruins, Sharks already lose that trade automatically. Boston has absolutely nothing even somewhat on the level Sharks need to get back for him even if they throw multiple prospects in there. Save Debrusk for a Labanc deal.

You're saying Lysell or Lohrei aren't up to par for a trade for a pending UFA?

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
It’s not a 3 team limit on where he can go. It’s a 3 team limit on if they have to ask or not. I feel like he wouldn’t have an issue going to any team that has a chance at the playoffs. There are two top contenders that have huge holes at C (MIN/BOS) with good prospect pools that will both probably make good offers on him. He should still return a 1st+good prospect pretty easily. Something like 1st+Lysell+cap from BOS or 1st+Marat+cap from MIN both with varying other stuff but as a base.

Minnesota isn't interested in any rental that has to do with parting with a 1st. Been reported our gm has no interest. We are now the 16th best team in the league. Also top prospects and 1st round pick is off limits

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Minnesota isn't interested in any rental that has to do with parting with a 1st. Been reported our gm has no interest. We are now the 16th best team in the league. Also top prospects and 1st round pick is off limits
That would be really dumb of them…. They got a team that could go deep with a clear hole at center. Also I haven’t seen any of these reports. Would you link them?

Zucc-Hartman-Kap
Fiala-Hertl-Foligno
Greenway-JEE-Boldy
Duhaime-Gaudreau-Dewar

That’s easily one of the best forward groups in the NHL.

Goligoski-Spurgeon
Brodin-Dumba
Merrill-Kulikov

Might be missing a bit on the bottom pair but you can easily add a bottom pair D for not much and it isn’t bad at all already. That top 4 is very balanced and if healthy should be really good in the playoffs.

Talbot has the ability to get hot especially playing behind that defense.

Last edited:

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
That would be really dumb of them…. They got a team that could go deep with a clear hole at center. Also I haven’t seen any of these reports. Would you link them?

Zucc-Hartman-Kap
Fiala-Hertl-Foligno
Greenway-JEE-Boldy
Duhaime-Gaudreau-Dewar

That’s easily one of the best forward groups in the NHL.

Goligoski-Spurgeon
Brodin-Dumba
Merrill-Kulikov

Might be missing a bit on the bottom pair but you can easily add a bottom pair D for not much and it isn’t bad at all already. That top 4 is very balanced and if healthy should be really good in the playoffs.

Talbot has the ability to get hot especially playing behind that defense.

Our beat writer and gm Guerin himself. Minnesota has lost ten of last 11. Edmonton is about to pass them for 8th place in terms of wildcard. Our gm doesn't care about one year like most fans including some of Minnesota fans think he should. The articles below are just some proof. But our gm himself is against adding rentals and with judd brackett, one of the best scout in the game, he's not been willing to

Wild free-falling, 'fragile' and all bets are off on how Bill Guerin handles the trade deadline

NHL trade deadline 2022: Which player (or pick) each team is most likely to deal, from captains to cap casualties

Reactions: Coach Parker

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Who are the teams that would be willing to go hard for Hertl? Obviously Boston. Rangers maybe but only as a rental. Who else?
I would think any team that wants a forward should. Hes easily the best on the market, so id expect Colorado, Toronto, Florida, and Calgary to all make a solid push.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Who are the teams that would be willing to go hard for Hertl? Obviously Boston. Rangers maybe but only as a rental. Who else?

Columbus is a wild card for Hertl but they’d need a contract in place.

They have a clear need at 1C(the main flaw),
Had 3 1st round picks last year and hold Chicagos 1st rounder (8th overall currently) for next draft on top of their own,
Still a shot at playoffs(not great)

Last edited:
Reactions: wintersej

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
A painful QO? Guy is over a PPG and 25…. Ask for Timo is huge. Blue chip prospects+picks.

His QO is higher than a ton of young players as good or better than him such as Rantanen, Kaprizov, Makar, Aho, Q Hughes, Fox and Connor. Again not saying he isn’t extremely valuable, just noting that his QO isn’t ideal, I didn’t think this was news.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Apparently Detroit might be (a fan linked a report but can’t remember where, might have dreamed it), I could see COL wanting to put themselves over the edge, I could honestly see a team like PIT taking a chance on him for the right price, maybe WSH to add a bit more scoring, MIN should be depending on the price, EDM but I doubt they’d have the best package, list becomes even bigger if we are looking at an extension like the Stone trade.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
His QO is higher than a ton of young players as good or better than him such as Rantanen, Kaprizov, Makar, Aho, Q Hughes, Fox and Connor. Again not saying he isn’t extremely valuable, just noting that his QO isn’t ideal, I didn’t think this was news.
Those guys all signed long term. Sign Timo long term then. Its not news. Its uninformed fans spewing shit that is a nonissue. It’s been happening since last year.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
The problem is Meier has no incentive to sign a long term deal unless it's a significant overpay. As soon as you qualify him he immediately has the trump card of just signing the one year $10M QO and becoming a UFA at age 27.
Is $8M or $9M an overpay? That's probably what he's worth. You don't think he would sign 6-8 years x $8-9M, because he can get a 1 x 10?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Is $8M or $9M an overpay? That's probably what he's worth. You don't think he would sign 6-8 years x $8-9M, because he can get a 1 x 10?

Brady Tkachuk signed for $8.25M/year so there's no way Meier is taking something in that range unless he regresses next season. If he scores around a point per game this year and next he's probably looking at 10M+/year on a 7 year deal as a UFA especially if the cap goes up by 2024. Unless the Sharks give that to him outright he's better off accepting the QO and giving every team a chance to bid on him in his prime.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Those guys all signed long term. Sign Timo long term then. Its not news. Its uninformed fans spewing shit that is a nonissue. It’s been happening since last year.

Okay short term examples who have better QO than Meier: Tkachuk, Laine and Guentzel (unless you think the 1 extra year voids this). Meier holds more cards is the point. What if he doesn’t want to sign with the team that trades for him? Pretty hard to stomach a either losing the player to UFA or paying him 1 year at $10m. Can you honestly say that if his QO was $6-8 m he wouldn’t be more valuable, especially to a contender?

Didn’t realize highlighting a high QO was such a touchy subject.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Apparently Detroit might be (a fan linked a report but can’t remember where, might have dreamed it), I could see COL wanting to put themselves over the edge, I could honestly see a team like PIT taking a chance on him for the right price, maybe WSH to add a bit more scoring, MIN should be depending on the price, EDM but I doubt they’d have the best package, list becomes even bigger if we are looking at an extension like the Stone trade.
That was me, Frank Seravalli mentioned that Yzerman is heavily pursuing a 2C and both Hertl and Horvat were mentioned. Yzerman wants a 2C awfully bad and Seravalli basically said that he's willing to spend a pretty penny on either one.

Reactions: Gecklund

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Okay short term examples who have better QO than Meier: Tkachuk, Laine and Guentzel (unless you think the 1 extra year voids this). Meier holds more cards is the point. What if he doesn’t want to sign with the team that trades for him? Pretty hard to stomach a either losing the player to UFA or paying him 1 year at $10m. Can you honestly say that if his QO was $6-8 m he wouldn’t be more valuable, especially to a contender?

Some Sharks fans are still in denial that Doug Wilson has been bent over in every contract negotiation for the last five years.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Of course it would be more valuable but stating the obvious isn't helping anything. Worst case scenario is you pay what you would pay for a rental and a point per game rental is still highly valuable. You either disagree with the blue chip asks on that or not. The QO doesn't matter in the sense that the ask is still going to require a blue chip asset.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Obviously the team trading for him would know if he wanted to resign or not. Otherwise that’s on them and their incompetence. I’ve done the math before with in depth calculations but quickly let’s say he signs the QO and intends on walking after. Oh wait he got injured that year, or the cap didn’t raise as much as it should have, or some crazy situation like I don’t know a global pandemic. Now he gets paid less because he risked it when there was an 8x8 deal on the table. That’s the thing that people who talk about his QO don’t take into consideration. There is so much f***ing risk that comes into play when you talk about him just taking his QO. Also when was the last time a player just took his QO? Especially one of Timo’s quality. Like it’s a pointless argument because there is 0 examples that I have found that are comparable.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I think Detroit being a real wild card to acquire Hertl would return the best package. Their 1st in 2023 is what id want though.

To Detroit: Hertl, Coe
To SJ: 1st in 2023, Veleno, Gustav Lindström

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I think Detroit being a real wild card to acquire Hertl would return the best package. Their 1st in 2023 is what id want though.

To Detroit: Hertl, Coe
To SJ: 1st in 2023, Veleno, Gustav Lindström
Detroit is in the same spot as the standings as us, and in no place to trade a first round pick. While they may be looking like they're on an upwards developmental trend...they still are in a division with Tampa, Florida, Toronto, and even Boston. Buffalo and Ottawa are also trying to improve their teams into playoff level threats. Way too much risk to hand out a first round pick.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Detroit is in the same spot as the standings as us, and in no place to trade a first round pick. While they may be looking like they're on an upwards developmental trend...they still are in a division with Tampa, Florida, Toronto, and even Boston. Buffalo and Ottawa are also trying to improve their teams into playoff level threats. Way too much risk to hand out a first round pick.
I agree a first is too much. My first thought in terms of trade package with DET is Zadina+Veleno+2nd but that seems risky for us.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad