Value of: Tom Wilson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Nah. Both parties seem to be focused on another mid-long term contract for Wilson to finish up with the Caps. Next couple seasons he will be a top6 powerforward, following 2-3 years he will be leader and protecter of the young kids Caps start to rebuild into. Pretty clean plan.

Futures package would always come from a contending team and I dont think a late 1st + "decent" prospect kind of deal is worth to let him go. And I think Caps front office agrees.

Only way Wilson moves is a "hockey trade" where we get essentially better player back. That seems like something that wont make much sense for the other team. Unless Toronto wants to mix it up big time and trade Marner for us, or something like that, cant see this going down.
To get Marner for Wilson the add on Wilson would have to be the the top ten pick. I doubt Washington would want to do that nor do I think Toronto would do it either.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
People on HFboards have no context to the value of Tom Wilson. Take Tanner Jeannot and multiply that return by 5.

Leaf's fans, the conversation is 1-for-1 Wilson for Matthews unsigned. Marner isn't a conversation and you have to add on Nylander.

The impact that Wilson brings is so incredibly different from those players that it would impact the structure of the entire Caps lineup

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
People on HFboards have no context to the value of Tom Wilson. Take Tanner Jeannot and multiply that return by 5.

Leaf's fans, the conversation is 1-for-1 Wilson for Matthews unsigned. Marner isn't a conversation and you have to add on Nylander.

The impact that Wilson brings is so incredibly different from those players that it would impact the structure of the entire Caps lineup
Whoa there tiger. I get that Wilson has high value and is a very rare type of player every team wants . But 5 x what Jeannot got ? Jeannot valje was so high due to comtrwxt control and cost. No dount Wilson is the better player but Jeannots contrwxt and abe drastically increased his value.
And Matthews plus Nylander for Wilson ?! Come on now. Wilson only has one year left as well.
I’m not crapping on Wilson . I agree that he is a very good player and would have a huge impact for a contender ,but I think you are stretchimg it a little bit on his value.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
To get Marner for Wilson the add on Wilson would have to be the the top ten pick. I doubt Washington would want to do that nor do I think Toronto would do it either.

The add on is cap space and possibly some depth pieces, definitely not a top 10 pick

Last offseason when the Leafs got beat by Tampa I thought Marner for Wilson, Eller, Hathaway and Samsonov (before he went unqualified) would have been a win win

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Rather some other team pay Wilson's retirement contract unless he comes at a substantial discount, caps don't really need to be getting into highly physical back and forths with Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie and Carlson being what they are at this point and the rest of the team consisting of more finesse than physical players

That said, he should fetch at least what Lucic did when he went to the Kings (mid 10 first, young #4/5 D level player, and a goalie worth a late first and good 4th liner) value wise. Lucic was probably overpaid for but Wilson is better now that Lucic was then and any team getting him would be coming with an extension

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL @ Wilson's value being close to Matthews, signed or otherwise.

And it's hilarious that you started the post with "people on HF have no context to the value"

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
This Caps fan is more than happy to start a conversation about Wilson and Marner as a basis for a trade, unlike at least one other Caps fan I guess.

I doubt the Leafs would be happy about it though.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Not many players in the league like him. Likely going to cost more than b/c of that and that's ok. Brings a nice element of toughness with skill.

Would be interesting to see what he would actually go for

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Rather some other team pay Wilson's retirement contract unless he comes at a substantial discount, caps don't really need to be getting into highly physical back and forths with Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie and Carlson being what they are at this point and the rest of the team consisting of more finesse than physical players

That said, he should fetch at least what Lucic did when he went to the Kings (mid 10 first, young #4/5 D level player, and a goalie worth a late first and good 4th liner) value wise. Lucic was probably overpaid for but Wilson is better now that Lucic was then and any team getting him would be coming with an extension
That Lucic trade ended up being the final straw that got the King's GM fired.

Just for context.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Maybe Toronto wouldn’t, but Wilson is the exact type of player they need in their top 6. Sure they’re giving up a younger highly skilled player, but come playoffs time, Wilson would be worth his weight in GOLD. Would add a completely different dimension to the LEAFs top 6

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
3rd round pick or worse. He is close to being a permanent AHLer

LOL :laugh: BRUH you cannot be serious

Him getting 2 injuries does not make him a permanent AHLer or a 3rd round wtf ? He's 21 years old and was over PPG in the AHL, he's had injury trouble the last couple seasons, horrible take here.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I think people are underestimating how much Marner’s large cap hit will affect his value. How many teams will line up for an 11 million dollar winger with a terrible playoff reputation?

If you want 2 valuable assets like you’re asking for, you probably need to take on Cap coming back.

But maybe you’re right, who knows what Marner will or can get.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
That Lucic trade ended up being the final straw that got the King's GM fired.

Just for context.

If they were able to resign him and he aged better it would have been fine, he was dynamite that season and even good the following one for Edmonton.

Any team trading for Wilson would be looking to resign him and he's twice as mobile as Lucic was at the time of the trade, he's one of the best skating PFs in the league still

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Him getting 2 injuries does not make him a permanent AHLer or a 3rd round wtf ? He's 21 years old and was over PPG in the AHL, he's had injury trouble the last couple seasons, horrible take here.
Combination of injuries and lack of production at the NHL level coupled with his age - turning 22 makes him no longer a prospect. No one is looking for a small, brittle, 22 year old (for 2023/2024) who has yet to crack an NHL lineup. He's played 31 games over 4 seasons with a measly 7 points. He's not an asset anymore. He's a good AHLer.

What exactly are you expecting to get in return for a good AHLer? You would be lucky to get a 3rd round pick. Why would anyone trade for him? This is Jeremy Braaco all over again.

Last edited:

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
If they were able to resign him and he aged better it would have been fine, he was dynamite that season and even good the following one for Edmonton.

Any team trading for Wilson would be looking to resign him and he's twice as mobile as Lucic was at the time of the trade, he's one of the best skating PFs in the league still
Effects of the trade, GM canned & trading 2 firsts to Boston with Conner, Barzal & Chabot on the board.

Re-signing Lucic & getting stuck with that contract like Edmonton would have been even worse.

That's the problem with Wilson. It's signing that next contract & hoping he doesn't turn into a healthy (non LTIR) 4th liner sucking up a good amount of cap. That's a lot of risk to pay a premium. Better be sure if you're the GM, because the trade could cost you your job.

Reactions: CapsFrontOffice

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Talk about people here not having context. You don't see the irony in your post, do you?

• Haha
Reactions: Hexroot

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
This Caps fan is more than happy to start a conversation about Wilson and Marner as a basis for a trade, unlike at least one other Caps fan I guess.

I doubt the Leafs would be happy about it though
Leafs would counter-offer with something based around Marner and Ovechkin and the Capitals would hang up.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Maybe Toronto wouldn’t, but Wilson is the exact type of player they need in their top 6. Sure they’re giving up a younger highly skilled player, but come playoffs time, Wilson would be worth his weight in GOLD. Would add a completely different dimension to the LEAFs top 6
No doubt Washington will not be adding a Top 10 Pick to Tom Wilson for any player in the League and certainly not a $10M Winger with a history of Playoff futility.

His value is not close to a 1st to any team and I wouldn’t offer Washington’s 2nd either so where does that leave you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad