Value of: Tom Wilson to LA? What would it cost?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
What would it cost to get Tom Wilson to LA? He has 2 years left and in interest of being respectful I can’t tell if Washington is rebuilding or retooling? LA really needs a player of his size, nastiness, and minutes.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It’s actually an interesting discussion on the Caps board. Next year is the final year of his contract. He’s always mentioned as a future captain in Washington but he had serious injuries this year and he just turned 29. If the Caps can’t come to terms with him on an extension they have to consider trading him — they can’t let Tom Wilson walk away for free next summer, especially if they’re retooling.

I imagine the ask would be significant. 1st + good roster player + high end prospect. Anyone surplus to requirements for LA in their top six? Would Kempe be available? Either of Turcotte or Spence on the table? I assume Byfield and Clarke are not.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
I'm probably more willing to move Wilson than most caps fans, he's played a large role on a team that crapped itself for 5 straight season and none of the times he's ever hurt the team seem to count against him because he's a throwback Dale Hunter like player.

At the same time he's a very good player and the return would have to reflect that. If Fiala was a RW getting him back as a playmaker for the rest of Ovechkin's career would be tempting. I doubt the Kings would trade Kempe now that he's broken out into a better player, Kings wouldn't put Byfield on the table and a prospects like Turcotte would get lost in the shuffle with McMichael, Lapierre, Protas. Most interesting on the Kings would be Vilardi/Kaliyev, Gavrikov (but he's a UFA so no value in a Wilson trade), not sure what else. Clarke would be great value but probably off the table and might not make an impact for a while, and we already have Sandin/Fehervary/Alexeyev as young players finding their footing and Carlson, Jensen, TVR as RDs all signed for a few years

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The Caps will be holding off on a rebuild until Ovechkin's contract is over, and presumably, he retires. So their plan is to make the playoffs for the years he has left.

They have had a tumultuous run with Kuznetsov and will probably listen to any offers this summer, but probably not for futures. They're going to want players back who can help immediately. I expect they look but do not find a good partner that wants to send comparable talent back, and keep him.

They probably want to re-sign Wilson. If he's also interested and it happens, then he's going nowhere. If they broach the idea of a new contract and he demurs or his demands are higher than they're comfortable with (which is what happened with Orlov), then they probably keep him all season. They'd look to move him at the deadline for futures if they are out of the playoff race and he's going to be moving on anyway, like they did with Orlov and their other pending UFAs this year. If they are a playoff team, they probably keep him and also buy at the deadline.

The plan, though, is to compete for the playoffs through the three remaining seasons on Ovechkin's contract. Then they probably start rebuilding in earnest.

Last edited:

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I'm probably more willing to move Wilson than most caps fans, he's played a large role on a team that crapped itself for 5 straight season and none of the times he's ever hurt the team seem to count against him because he's a throwback Dale Hunter like player.

At the same time he's a very good player and the return would have to reflect that. If Fiala was a RW getting him back as a playmaker for the rest of Ovechkin's career would be tempting. I doubt the Kings would trade Kempe now that he's broken out into a better player, Kings wouldn't put Byfield on the table and a prospects like Turcotte would get lost in the shuffle with McMichael, Lapierre, Protas. Most interesting on the Kings would be Vilardi/Kaliyev, Gavrikov (but he's a UFA so no value in a Wilson trade), not sure what else. Clarke would be great value but probably off the table and might not make an impact for a while, and we already have Sandin/Fehervary/Alexeyev as young players finding their footing and Carlson, Jensen, TVR as RDs all signed for a few years
Not to hijack the thread, but would there be interest in a Scheifele/ Wilson swap if both teams could extend the newly acquired player?

Scheifele could essentially replace Backstrom for the remainder of Ovi’s career if Backstrom is done.

Jets really need a Wilson type player.

• Haha
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Not to hijack the thread, but would there be interest in a Scheifele/ Wilson swap if both teams could extend the newly acquired player?

Scheifele could essentially replace Backstrom for the remainder of Ovi’s career if Backstrom is done.

Jets really need a Wilson type player.
Backstrom is probably going nowhere on his contract so Schiefele would be replacing Kuznetsov who'd likely be gone for pennies on the dollar if he were to be moved. Backstrom also doesn't seem to be done, getting healthier if anything through probably slow and meh for the rest of his deal

If their term was the same and Kuznetsov had to be moved I'd be inclined for it but I highly doubt we'd extend Schiefele to a huge contract for his 30s, so the extra year Wilson has makes it not something I'd want one for one

What is the deal with Schiefele anyway, he's on a great contact yet Winnipeg seems over him

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Backstrom is probably going nowhere on his contract so Schiefele would be replacing Kuznetsov who'd likely be gone for pennies on the dollar if he were to be moved. Backstrom also doesn't seem to be done, getting healthier if anything through probably slow and meh for the rest of his deal

If their term was the same and Kuznetsov had to be moved I'd be inclined for it but I highly doubt we'd extend Schiefele to a huge contract for his 30s, so the extra year Wilson has makes it not something I'd want one for one

What is the deal with Schiefele anyway, he's on a great contact yet Winnipeg seems over him
There just needs to be a cultural shakeup in Winnipeg. A few players may need a change of scenery. That may or may not include Scheifele.

I’m sure Jets management isn’t going to overreact and give him away for the sake of it though. It would need to make sense going forward. Scheifele is likely going to break 40 goals for the first time in his career this year.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I think he'd get something similar to Horvat. So a mid 1st, an organizations best prospect (even if that prospect isn't amazing relative to the rest of the teams in the league) and a good player on a slightly overpaid contract to offset salary.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Didn’t LA learn the first time with Lucic? These players are valuable into their late 20s. Into their 30s you likely end up with possible a few decent seasons and than an over priced enforcer who can’t really keep up with the game

I didn't like the trade cost, but Lucic was damn good when he was with the Kings.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I’d rather trade for Lowry than Wilson.

Very different players. Lowry plays in your bottom 6, while Wilson makes sure the other teams best players play with their heads up

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Didn’t LA learn the first time with Lucic? These players are valuable into their late 20s. Into their 30s you likely end up with possible a few decent seasons and than an over priced enforcer who can’t really keep up with the game

Lucic was 27 when he got to LA and LA let him walk.

I think he'd get something similar to Horvat. So a mid 1st, an organizations best prospect (even if that prospect isn't amazing relative to the rest of the teams in the league) and a good player on a slightly overpaid contract to offset salary.

Lucic got a mid 1st, a player who was immediately flipped for a 1st, Collin Miller (prospect), Sean Kuraly (prospect)

Wilson would get at least that, which is more than Horvat.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

So Iafallo, Kaliyev, and a 1st.

Reactions: Diaspora

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Agree and for this reason I would never pay the price the Caps would want. It would be short sighted by LA to give up young talent for aging players especially one that plays his style.

Reactions: Leafs87

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
He's got 2 years left while Horvat was a pending UFA, and their 1st will probably be pretty high (though Canucks passed it on with Hronek)
According to Cap Friendly he only has the 23/24 season and then is a UFA so that’s one year. Some king fan would pay a bunch but I would not. At his age and style I wouldn’t want to be signing him to the next contract.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I’d say Durzi and Byfield would do it. If Washington got offered this, they would be stupid not to take it and run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad