Prospect Info: Tom Willander: 11th Overall 2023 Draft (Rogle BK J20) - Part 02

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Willander since world U 18's:

+47 in 57 games (college +international)

Now plus minus isn't the greatest stat but you're doing something right when it's that high. I think a lot of the nuances in his game help him always play a positive role in goal prevention no matter what level he is playing.

He can skate effortlessly, munch minutes at even strength/pk, shut down other teams players, and not take many penalties. I don't know what more people want from him but really the offense should be considered an added bonus.
Him and Theo Lindstein was one of the strongest pairings ive seen at any level of amateur hockey.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't like using Tanev as a comparable because his willingness to sacrifice his body is unicorn stuff, but to me he's a very straight projection to being a RH Jonas Brodin.
Yeah stylistically not the same but Tanev is an easier comparison in terms of potential impact and the fact we are really familiar with him.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I don't like using Tanev as a comparable because his willingness to sacrifice his body is unicorn stuff, but to me he's a very straight projection to being a RH Jonas Brodin.
It'll be a while before he's ready for primetime, but it's hard to imagine a better stylistic fit for Hughes than a RH Brodin.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
Tracking nicely. Point per game so far is nice to see. Hopefully he keeps it up ! Willander hughes and hroenek are a good puck moving trio to build around.

Reactions: bh53

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Exactly, and I don't think some folks here realize what a unicorn this kid is shaping up to be. He isn't going to be traded, period.
I'd bet nearly anything that if this team is in serious contention mid-season, Lekkerimaki and the 1st are gone and Willander isn't.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
His defensive game isn't in question, so if he finishes the season at a point per game in his sophomore year like Hughes did, does that mean he has strong potential to be a #1 d man?

I'd bet nearly anything that if this team is in serious contention mid-season, Lekkerimaki and the 1st are gone and Willander isn't.
We need those cheap elc contract/high skill guys to contend for a Stanley Cup as well.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Tanev isn’t an unreasonable comparison in terms of his mobility and gap control. Very few people block shots and take hits like Tanev though. Willander is also ppg in the NCAA without playing on the 1st pp unit at the same age Tanev was playing in a Canadian farmers’ league, so there’s reason to believe he has much higher offensive upside.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Exactly, and I don't think some folks here realize what a unicorn this kid is shaping up to be. He isn't going to be traded, period.

It would be a monumental mistake to trade him now. Players like Brzuskewicz have clear holes in their games despite putting up numbers (as shown by his 1 assist in 7 games in the AHL) - they make for perfect trade bait.

Willander looks like a sure bet to be at least a top 4 at the NHL level, with a shot at top pairing.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I wouldn't trade Willander for 2 Lekkerimakis and I find it so strange that the media seems to nearly unanimously have Lekkerimaki as the team's top prospect.

Willander is the team's best prospect, and it isn't close.

Reactions: Vector and Phrasing

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
I wouldn't trade Willander for 2 Lekkerimakis and I find it so strange that the media seems to nearly unanimously have Lekkerimaki as the team's top prospect.

Willander is the team's best prospect, and it isn't close.
Not only that, I think it’s Canucks responsibility to maximize Lekk’s value and to trade him now for defensive help. The more pro games he plays, the more I worry his warts will be more apparent.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Not only that, I think it’s Canucks responsibility to maximize Lekk’s value and to trade him now for defensive help. The more pro games he plays, the more I worry his warts will be more apparent.
You guys need to chill out about trading Lekk. Would trade like most of our picks over trading Willander or Lekk and I think you guys are seriously over thinking how much it will cost to acquire players at TDL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad