Prospect Info: Tom Willander: 11th Overall 2023 Draft (Rogle BK J20) - Part 02

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm still 100% expecting him to join the Canucks after the NCAA season this year and never play a minute in the AHL.

I just don't see it. That's usually what happens but given the Canucks will be acquiring another one or two defencemen in that time and already have Desharnais signed for next season, it seems like the plan is to slow burn him.

I'd love if I'm wrong since it means he's able to make an impact on a playoff team.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I think he'll be in the AHL for almost the entire season next year.
I think they will trade him first if they think he requires an entire year in the AHL.

This team's window is now. If he isn't capable of having clear NHL impact that will help this team win it all—I think Rutherford and Allvin's modus operandi is to go all-in on players that they think can help them go for it.

The way the roster is constructed they have a clear incentive to make the most of the cheap contracts and peak age curves they have now and add to that roster. See Scenario #1 below.

Yes, I understand that having a cheap-young defenseman would help with when the rest of the roster becomes more expensive, See Scenario #2 below. But that plan also requires on other players remaining healthy, signing reasonable deals so you aren't capped out or getting rid of talent, and that those other players are not falling off a cliff. There's a lot more variables you have to account for.

In short, the case for keeping Willander is only if he makes a big step this year and shows that he can provide immediate NHL impact. If there is still any project-ness about his game we should anticipate him being on the trade block.

2024-
2024-
2025-
2025-
2026-
2026-
2027-
2027-
LevelSalaryLevelSalaryLevelSalaryLevelSalary
MillerGreatMidGreatMidGood?MidGood?Mid
HughesGreatCheapGreatCheapGreatCheapGreatExpensive
PetterssonGoodExpensiveGreatExpensiveGreatExpensiveGreatExpensive
DemkoGreatCheapGreatCheapGood?ExpensiveGood?Expensive
BoeserGreatMidGreatExpensiveGreatExpensiveGreatExpensive
GarlandGoodMidGoodMidGoodExpensiveGoodExpensive
HronekGoodExpensiveGoodExpensiveGoodExpensiveGoodExpensive
Scenario #1
Win-now trade
2024-
Level
2024-
Salary
2025-
Level
2025-
Salary
2026-27
Level
2026-
Salary
Level
Salary
Acquire Top-3 Defensemen (EG, Rasmus Andersson, etc.)GoodBargain or MidGoodBargain or MidGoodExpensiveGoodExpensive
Willander (traded away)BadBargainMidBargainMidBargainMidBargain
Scenario #2
Youth
immediate impact
2024-
Level
2024-
Salary
2025-
Level
2025-
Salary
2026-
Level
2026-
Salary
2027-
Level
2027-
Salary
Willander (kept)MidBargainGoodBargainGoodBargainGoodBargain

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I wonder if Willander does a 3rd season in BU instead. Similar to Faber or something.

maybe if he transfers to another program but there's no way he goes back to BU. he'd be sharing the ice with cole hutson and sascha boumedienne again

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm still 100% expecting him to join the Canucks after the NCAA season this year and never play a minute in the AHL.
I think that might be too risky for this management group. Trying to ease a rookie in during a playoff run doesn’t sound like a JR/Allvin thing.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I just don't see it. That's usually what happens but given the Canucks will be acquiring another one or two defencemen in that time and already have Desharnais signed for next season, it seems like the plan is to slow burn him.

I'd love if I'm wrong since it means he's able to make an impact on a playoff team.

I think that might be too risky for this management group. Trying to ease a rookie in during a playoff run doesn’t sound like a JR/Allvin thing.

To be clear, I'm not saying he'll be a roster regular or play every game. But I think he'll be signed, added to the roster, and play some games this year.

Reactions: arttk and Vector

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Watching the current Canuck blueline struggle mightily at times this season they'd be crazy to sell on Willander.

I mean how many seasons can you keep signing UFA's like Cole, Forbort, Desharnais, Soucy and even Myers, who'll be 35 before the end of the current season?

You simply can't acquire much more than 'stop-gap' solutions these days when it comes to trading or signing d-men in the NHL. Legit top-four d-men are too valuable to trade, and even if you acquire a guy like Zadorov at the TDL for valuable draft picks, chances are you won't be able to re-sign him.

So the only way to upgrade your blueline, is through the draft. And when you finally find a good one, particularly a right-shot defender like Wilander, you hold on for dear life.

Reactions: ManVanFan

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
To be clear, I'm not saying he'll be a roster regular or play every game. But I think he'll be signed, added to the roster, and play some games this year.
Have you watched him in the NCAA much? I know you were quite high on him at the draft, but from a birds eye view and without watching him, I am not sure he is progressing as you'd expect a top prospect would. Seems to be tracking as more of a second pairing defensemen rather than a top pairing defensemen which would be disappointing given where he was draft in what was billed as an historically deep draft. Take this with a grain of salt though as I am relying on other summaries / stats, etc., and not direct viewing.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Have you watched him in the NCAA much? I know you were quite high on him at the draft, but from a birds eye view and without watching him, I am not sure he is progressing as you'd expect a top prospect would. Seems to be tracking as more of a second pairing defensemen rather than a top pairing defensemen which would be disappointing given where he was draft in what was billed as an historically deep draft. Take this with a grain of salt though as I am relying on other summaries / stats, etc., and not direct viewing.

I watched a couple NCAA games last year plus his WJC games where he was outstanding so probably 10 games total. I haven't watched the games this year.

What I saw last year was a player whose IQ and mobility was very close to the NHL and just needed to physically fill out a bit. I've said here for years that I think most people are really shit at looking for what actually makes NHL defenders effective and instead focus on POINTS and PP TIME and HE MADE A BAD PASS IN THE OFFENSIVE ZONE TO KILL THE PLAY THERE.

Watching him at the WJCs (and the U18s the year before) his skating is absolutely elite and his positional IQ defensively spot on and the play is rarely on the wrong side of him. And even if his puck skills aren't quite where people would want, he's hardly a Forbort/Juulsen with the puck on his stick. I think his skating/IQ will play up huge moving up levels and he's exceedingly likely to be the sort of top-pairing defender that people always call a 2nd pairing defender because they don't score wads of PP points - see Hamhuis, Brodin, etc.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I watched a couple NCAA games last year plus his WJC games where he was outstanding so probably 10 games total. I haven't watched the games this year.

What I saw last year was a player whose IQ and mobility was very close to the NHL and just needed to physically fill out a bit. I've said here for years that I think most people are really shit at looking for what actually makes NHL defenders effective and instead focus on POINTS and PP TIME and HE MADE A BAD PASS IN THE OFFENSIVE ZONE TO KILL THE PLAY THERE.

Watching him at the WJCs (and the U18s the year before) his skating is absolutely elite and his positional IQ defensively spot on and the play is rarely on the wrong side of him. And even if his puck skills aren't quite where people would want, he's hardly a Forbort/Juulsen with the puck on his stick. I think his skating/IQ will play up huge moving up levels and he's exceedingly likely to be the sort of top-pairing defender that people always call a 2nd pairing defender because they don't score wads of PP points - see Hamhuis, Brodin, etc.
Elite skating and elite defensive IQ together in a D with NHL size is exceedingly rare. With those characteristics, even if he only has the stick skill of Forbort, he would still be a 2nd pairing guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad