Proposal: Toffoli for Kunin + L'Heureux + 2nd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Kunin-Granlund-Duchene
Forsberg-Johansen-Tolvanen

Is Nashville top-6.

Kunin has 6 pts in 19 games.
Tolvanen 5 in 19.

So getting offense in their top-6 is definitively a need.

They have a good defensive group, a solid center line, good goaltending.

Nashville's right there, in a battle for a playoff spot.

I know the HFboard narrative: future/future/future...

But when it comes to real hockey teams, there's other factors to be taken into account by management.

NHL hockey opps usually want to seize opportunity to get into the playoffs when it's right there.

Even more when the teams core all have between 27 (Forsberg) and 31 (Josi) (Duchene 30, Johansen 29, Granlund 29, Ekholm 31)... Nashville isn't in a position to rebuild, they have to win as soon as possible.

Nashville already have a good prospect pool. Sacrificing a former late 1st (and say a 2nd, you can keep Kunin if he's the deal breaker) to better their top-6 for 2 1/2 more years, I think it's a fair price to pay.

Toffoli ain't no rental player, he's signed until 2024 for a reasonnable price.

Maybe I'm wrong, but my rationale certainly isn't as bad as some want to pretend.

So Nashville sacrifices Kunin, a recent 1st, and a 2nd to go from outside the playoff bubble to maybe making the playoffs…. I’m not even really caring much about Kunin in the deal… the recent 1st and the pick from a team that needs all the prospects and picks it can get is a non-starter

SimGrindcore

Mar 16, 2021
www.facebook.com
Explanation of trade rationale:

Nashville are surprisingly high in the standings .

They have good defense, good goaltending and a good center line, the only thing they lack is depth at wings, particularly in the top-6.

They're 9.9 mil under the salary cap.

Mtl only strenght is at wing. They're in a position where they have to rebuild, they must acquire future assets for what can be unloaded.

Toffoli for Kunin + L'Heureux + 2nd 2022

Toffoli can play both wings, his contract is affordable and not too long. He's a proven scorer, won a SC and not too old at 29 yo.

Kunin is 23 and had back to back 0,5 pt/game seasons. There's still hope of untapped potential with him.

L'Heureux was a late 1st rd pick at last draft and the 2nd will be middle round.

Thoughts?
Would accept that offer to bring L'Heureux in Monteal. I love that type of player.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Kunin-Granlund-Duchene
Forsberg-Johansen-Tolvanen

Is Nashville top-6.

Kunin has 6 pts in 19 games.
Tolvanen 5 in 19.

So getting offense in their top-6 is definitively a need.

They have a good defensive group, a solid center line, good goaltending.

Nashville's right there, in a battle for a playoff spot.

I know the HFboard narrative: future/future/future...

But when it comes to real hockey teams, there's other factors to be taken into account by management.

NHL hockey opps usually want to seize opportunity to get into the playoffs when it's right there.

Even more when the teams core all have between 27 (Forsberg) and 31 (Josi) (Duchene 30, Johansen 29, Granlund 29, Ekholm 31)... Nashville isn't in a position to rebuild, they have to win as soon as possible.

Nashville already have a good prospect pool. Sacrificing a former late 1st (and say a 2nd, you can keep Kunin if he's the deal breaker) to better their top-6 for 2 1/2 more years, I think it's a fair price to pay.

Toffoli ain't no rental player, he's signed until 2024 for a reasonnable price.

Maybe I'm wrong, but my rationale certainly isn't as bad as some want to pretend.
While everything you say here is accurate, it may not take into account the Preds organizational development plan.

Toffoli is a good 2nd line winger on a good contract for the next 2.5 years, but the ask is for 3 assets that are under 25 on a team that has aging players. Those younger assets are important for a team like the Preds that are small market and trying to build a perpetual playoff team. The individual sum of the parts may be equal value to Toffoli but is it worth the investment. I don't think the Preds are a Toffoli away from being a cup contender so is it worth moving assets to improve, but only improve slightly? Paying top value to fill a position is typically done when a team feels it is 1 piece away. Maybe the Canes or the Oilers would see the value in Toffoli for a 1st +, but a deal like this doesn't make the Preds a true contender, and it potentially weakens their ability to build for next season and forward.

This is all just spit balling, I'm not claiming any organizational knowledge, I just see why some Preds fans seem so adverse to this all futures package for Toffoli.

Reactions: Benstheman

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
While everything you say here is accurate, it may not take into account the Preds organizational development plan.

Toffoli is a good 2nd line winger on a good contract for the next 2.5 years, but the ask is for 3 assets that are under 25 on a team that has aging players. Those younger assets are important for a team like the Preds that are small market and trying to build a perpetual playoff team. The individual sum of the parts may be equal value to Toffoli but is it worth the investment. I don't think the Preds are a Toffoli away from being a cup contender so is it worth moving assets to improve, but only improve slightly? Paying top value to fill a position is typically done when a team feels it is 1 piece away. Maybe the Canes or the Oilers would see the value in Toffoli for a 1st +, but a deal like this doesn't make the Preds a true contender, and it potentially weakens their ability to build for next season and forward.

This is all just spit balling, I'm not claiming any organizational knowledge, I just see why some Preds fans seem so adverse to this all futures package for Toffoli.
Despite that qualifier, you have a significantly better grasp of the Preds direction than the poster you are replying to. Yes, a lot of our "core" pieces are on the older side, but the roster as a whole is quite young. The Preds are not looking to make a Cup run with this core any longer. They are trying to be playoff competitive by retaining enough vets to ease the burden on the younger players while they adapt to the NHL level. The goal is building around guys like Tomasino, Tolvanen, Glass, Jeannot, Kunin, Afanasayev, L'Heureux, etc... and adding what assets we can that fit with that age group. This trade is completely contrary to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad