Confirmed with Link: Tkachuk signed a seven-year, $57.5 million deal. The AAV is 8.214 million

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Tkachuk getting one less year (he wants less term) and more money isn't exactly a compromise on his part.

We never got someone totally splling the beans but we heard that Brady wanted north of $8.4 million on a LT deal and that bonus money was an issue. The deal is under $8.4 million in AAV and no bonus money. Looks like both sides gave a bit, even if the Sens gave in more.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
YeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
You’re god damn f***ing right!!!! This is some of the best news i can remember receiving as a Sens fan. Means everything to this organization.
Well done Pierre, & good for Melnyk for signing off.
(I don’t know that I’ve said a single nice thing about Melnyk in 7 or 8 years.)
The organization stepped up here and made it happen. So f***ing happy right now.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Norris is as it stands, is farrr closer to Batherson money than Brady. Brady already 3 seasons in NHL and led team in points last year+ 2nd in hits+ captain to Norris' one.

Suzuki same age as Norris with 2 seasons down + Stanley cup final appearance leading team in points. Norris current value I'd peg it at 5.5ish on a 6 year deal. If he outscores Brady convincingly this year, then we might be in trouble looking at over 7 on longterm, but I think we will do everything we can to sign him to 6.5 for 6/7 years as fast as we can.

And Norris already matched Brady's production and value on his rookie season if not more. And Norris is clearly a more valuable and better asset than Batherson.

Why does he need to convincingly outscore Brady? #1 c, more production, way better defensively. if Brady puts up 60 points this year and Norris 65, you think Norris agent would be happy with anything less than 7.5?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
those intangibles would be baked in on a 7m contract for a player with a 50 point career high and who should hopefully average around 65.

The 8.2 is clear 1m/1.2 mill overpay. Every agent of our other young stars is feeling pretty good right now. Their jobs got a lot easier.

Brady got this contract because of brand name, not intangibles or his production.
That's great, you've placed a value of roughly 2 mil on his intangibles. He and the team seem to have settled at around 3.2 mil. Do you have compatible players to show how you came to value them at about an extra 2 mil? Probably not, and that's the point. It's really hard to find comparables for what he brings and to put a number on it. On the flip side, there are a bunch of players that bring something similar to Norris or Stützle.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
That's great, you've placed a value of roughly 2 mil on his intangibles. He and the team seem to have settled at around 3.2 mil. Do you have compatible players to show how you came to value them at about an extra 2 mil? Probably not, and that's the point. It's really hard to find comparables for what he brings and to put a number on it. On the flip side, there are a bunch of players that bring something similar to Norris or Stützle.

yea 3.2 million for intangibles... I doubt there has ever been an NHL contract signed with that kind of premium.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
basically paying a guy who will have a hard time cracking 65 points and who is unable to carry his own line, Makar, Heiskanen, Petterson, Svhechnikov etc money.

However it is refreshing that Melnyk agreed to such a stupidly rich contract. That's at least a win.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We never got someone totally splling the beans but we heard that Brady wanted north of $8.4 million on a LT deal and that bonus money was an issue. The deal is under $8.4 million in AAV and no bonus money. Looks like both sides gave a bit, even if the Sens gave in more.

I suppose that's fair.

Although I'd argue on Tkachuk's part that asking for 8.5M and getting less was hardly a compromise because he's not worth close to 8M a year, let alone 8.5M.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
yea 3.2 million for intangibles... I doubt there has ever been an NHL contract signed with that kind of premium.

Tom Wilson signed a 6 year, $31M ($5.1M AAV) contract coming off a season where he scored 14 goals and 35 points in 78 games. In the 4 seasons previous to that, he had never scored over 7 goals or 23 points.

Reactions: Raze The Stray

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok. Good for you. Maybe they also see more tangibles than you. Maybe part of it is income tax adjusting,

In the end though, you are missing the point and latching on to your personal valuation of what he brings which seems to be less the the hockey world writ large even if we did exceed the consensus.

The point is he is unique which makes comparables hard to find. Others are not so whatever you think his intangibles are or are worth gets thrown out the window, we have lots of perfect matches to compare guys like Norris and Stützle to.

Reactions: MrInvidious

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Ok. Good for you. Maybe they also see more tangibles than you. Maybe part of it is income tax adjusting,

In the end though, you are missing the point and latching on to your personal valuation of what he brings which seems to be less the the hockey world writ large even if we did exceed the consensus.

The point is he is unique which makes comparables hard to find. Others are not so whatever you think his intangibles are or are worth gets thrown out the window, we have lots of perfect matches to compare guys like Norris and Stützle to.

unique doesn't mean better though. bad way to build a team. When the guy who should be the 4th or 5th best player on a contending roster is the highest paid (until the other better players start saying wait a minute)

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Happy it is longterm. We knew he was probably going to be paid around 8m even if it was a overpayment. 8.2 is ok with me.

He will probably be named captain it that's fine with me.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Team needed this, if he held out any longer I'd say the hell with him. Now I like him again lol (even though it's an overpayment now)

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Tom Wilson signed a 6 year, $31M ($5.1M AAV) contract coming off a season where he scored 14 goals and 35 points in 78 games. In the 4 seasons previous to that, he had never scored over 7 goals or 23 points.
+ the monster post season.

and yea exactly so brady should be closer to around 6.5/7 mill?

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Brady is a f***en unicorn,this kid was fighting guys like Weber in his teens,and scoring...Think his line and the rest of the team doesnt play better or with more balls because of him...This lineup without him isnt the same period

Agreed, he is the straw that stirs the drink. I think those that don’t see it now will eventually come to realize it.

Reactions: topshelf15

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Part of that is because Wilson was a machine in the playoffs where they won the cup, had a cup premium as well

Reactions: DrEasy

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Whom has Brady played with that could be considered to be as good as the players Wilson played with to attain those numbers??

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

If you're basing it purely off points:

Tkachuk has scored 125 points in 198 games prior to signing his deal. A 52pt/82g pace.
Wilson scored 104 points in 381 games prior to signing his deal. A 22pt/82g pace.

Tkachuk's point per game average is 136% higher than Wilson's was.
His AAV is only 61% higher.

Looks like we got a deal.

But you're right, Wilson had an awesome 21 game playoff that year (15 points), which gave Washington the confidence to believe that he was much more than a 22pt player.

Tkachuk, last year, scored 12 points in his last 15 games. That likely gives Ottawa confidence that he's more than a 52pt player. He also put up those numbers at 19, 20, 21. Most players that age are in the CHL or AHL.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Never mind the haters focusing on slight overpay. The sens got their guy signed long term, this is awesome news! Kudos to Pierre dorion for getting this shit done.

Like this one I got elsewhere :

"He's a 50 point player making over 8 million a year and the majority of the contract is rfa years. He won big time."

Here's my reply to this (feel free to use these points) :

So much wrong with one little sentence.

- Brady has paced at least 52 pts per 82 GP in each of his first 3 seasons at 19, 20 and 21 y/o, an age where most players don't even play in the NHL regularly
- That was on a rebuilding team, a scorched earth rebuild...
- 1st year with rookie Colin White and Mark Stone until deadline
- 2nd year with Connor Brown and JG Pageau until the deadline
- 3rd year with rookies Josh Norris and Drake Batherson
- Above is who he mainly played with, there was also a bunch of lesser players (like Chris Tierney or even JC Beaudin)
- In comparison, Nick Suzuki paced 47 pts at 20 y/o and 60 pts at 21 y/o, playing with better linemates (or at least more experienced in Toffoli, Anderson, Drouin). He just signed 7.875 AAV with 10 M$ in signing bonuses
- Everybody and their dog knows that Tkachuk wasn't only going to get paid for offensive production. He's a modern day power forward who bulldozes his way through, basically an unicorn. He already has an heavy impact on games, scoring or not.
- The market has changed/evolved, star players are now being paid out of their ELCs when going long term (or not, see Elias Pettersson) but also based on projection
- The expectation is that Tkachuk will be more than a "50 point player", he'll be 22 y/o this season
- It will also start being easier for him to put numbers as the quality around him improves.

I'm sure there'd be more points to make but this covers the essential I think

But there's one more very important point : SIGNING BONUSES MONEY

It doesn't look like there's any of it which changes a lot of things compared to other stars contracts.

Some sort of calculation is done to make up for all interest shortfalls for not having signing bonuses (recent Barkov contract is 90% is SBs)

With just 1 M$, you can make 50k-100K in interest per year, very low risk, or even higher with more risk. If you're rich, of course you hire the best

The thing is Eugene Melnyk doesn't budge on this, he rather have his corporation making all the interests than paying his players every 2 weeks and NOT the summer before the season. He doesn't spend to the cap, he doesn't care if it brings the AAV up

Signing bonuses are extremely valuable and also "lockout proof"

Conclusion : both sides probably caved in as the season is starting. Tkachuk most likely wanted a good portion in signing bonuses but Sens wouldn't budge (Melnyk). As a result, Tkachuk got a bigger AAV and probably got 1 year less in term, so might not be too old to sign another good contract

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad