Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkblue

Oct 6, 2020
Guessing Muzzin was pulled after dermott was hurt so Sandin could play with Holl and Muzzin will play with Lilly tommorrow.

And dermott may not be ready to start the year.

Keefe post game alluded to Muzz being injured as well, but nothing serious.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Biega is going to have that spot and it won't be cap related. Liljegren simply hasn't stepped up and taken a job. Biega looks dependable and strong so far, 2 things Lilly has never been described as. Lilly seems like a puck moving defenceman who can't get the puck himself to move it. It's a fire drill in his own end every shift, and the production on the other side simply isn't there to justify putting up with it. This kid is waiver bait when he's eligible for it.
There needs to be downvote buttons like on Reddit what a poor take

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
You would say that without any compelling counter to my arguments about the player. You post the way Liljegren plays.
Direct and to the point? No nonsense hockey? He's shown up in every game and played all kinds of roles to a tee. I'd go so far as to say that he's usurped Holl's place in the line-up. The only issue I see with him is deferring too much to his seniors and his lack of special teams experience - his outlet passes are spectacular, he knows when to jump in from the blue line, and he doesn't cough up the puck under pressure.

He's won a spot in my books. I don't get what you're seeing in Biega's play.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Biega is going to have that spot and it won't be cap related. Liljegren simply hasn't stepped up and taken a job. Biega looks dependable and strong so far, 2 things Lilly has never been described as. Lilly seems like a puck moving defenceman who can't get the puck himself to move it. It's a fire drill in his own end every shift, and the production on the other side simply isn't there to justify putting up with it. This kid is waiver bait when he's eligible for it.
Wrong

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Direct and to the point? No nonsense hockey? He's shown up in every game and played all kinds of roles to a tee. I'd go so far as to say that he's usurped Holl's place in the line-up. The only issue I see with him is deferring too much to his seniors and his lack of special teams experience - his outlet passes are spectacular, he knows when to jump in from the blue line, and he doesn't cough up the puck under pressure.

He's won a spot in my books. I don't get what you're seeing in Biega's play.
You seem to be mentally blocking out just how dicey things get when he's on the ice and the other team has the puck in his end. He really isn't good at putting a stop to things, he puts a lot on his partner. I've seen Biega break up plays and stop cycles. I think Keefe will value that more than Liljegren's alleged puck moving skills in a bottom pair situation.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
You seem to be mentally blocking out just how dicey things get when he's on the ice and the other team has the puck in his end. He really isn't good at putting a stop to things, he puts a lot on his partner. I've seen Biega break up plays and stop cycles. I think Keefe will value that more than Liljegren's alleged puck moving skills in a bottom pair situation.
If you think Biega is ahead of Liljegren on the depth chart, you haven't been watching.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Like when Liljegren absorbs hits to make plays? Or when he stays within his assignment instead of chasing guys? Liljegren does all of this and more in spades. Plus he has the frame and skills to do this consistently all the while setting up counter rushes with tape to tape passes. This isn't to say that Biega's play has been bad per se, but I'd frame it more along the lines of solid but unremarkable.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Yeah I’m curious how people plan to get them in the lineup. 2 rookie pairing certainly won’t work. Vet insulation is the way to go

There's the slight possibility that a Sandin-Liljegren third pairing could work if there's enough trust in the top four ahead of them. I doubt Dermott receives that two year contract if this was to be the plan though.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Im thinking on opening night:

Pretty much guaranteed:
Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl

1 of the following:
Dermott-Liljegren
Sandin-Dermott

Reactions: ponder

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Im thinking on opening night:

Pretty much guaranteed:
Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl

1 of the following:
Dermott-Liljegren
Sandin-Liljegren

Assuming injuries aren't a factor, that's what I'd expect to see. The question to be answered is whether the gap is bigger between Sandin and Liljegren or Dermott playing on his strong or off-hand side? I suppose the potential also exists for a rotation between Sandin and Liljegren. That might be a less likely option though.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Like when Liljegren absorbs hits to make plays? Or when he stays within his assignment instead of chasing guys? Liljegren does all of this and more in spades. Plus he has the frame and skills to do this consistently all the while setting up counter rushes with tape to tape passes. This isn't to say that Biega's play has been bad per se, but I'd frame it more along the lines of solid but unremarkable.
Solid is more than Liljegren offers at this point. If Liljegren were solid but unremarkable he would already have a spot locked up. Hooray Liljegren can complete a pass after an extended sequence of running around in his own end if his partner can get him the puck. Good for him, it means somebody like Buffalo will give him a job when he eventually does hit waivers.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
If you think Biega is ahead of Liljegren on the depth chart, you haven't been watching.
i have been watching the leafs prospect list vote, and chuckling about his placement based on what i have seen in games. you guys love him because he fell to us in the first round years ago, but maybe he fell because he isnt that good. It was 2017 afterall. Sure defencemen take longer but not the good ones.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Doesn't look like Leafs need to worry about their defense for a while.

Wish they had same talent in their forward futures.
Topi Niemala has pretty good upside.
I want Lilly in full time. He has shown more than either Sandin or Dermott.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
i have been watching the leafs prospect list vote, and chuckling about his placement based on what i have seen in games. you guys love him because he fell to us in the first round years ago, but maybe he fell because he isnt that good. It was 2017 afterall. Sure defencemen take longer but not the good ones.
By your argument then it is no problem if Lilly replaces Holl since Holl can't be good?

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
By your argument then it is no problem if Lilly replaces Holl since Holl can't be good?
You are playing semantics with my words because you haven't any facts to refute them. Your response is something Jeff Goldblum would say to explain something complex in a bad science fiction movie.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
You are playing semantics with my words because you haven't any facts to refute them. Your response is something Jeff Goldblum would say to explain something complex in a bad science fiction movie.
no, I am holding you to your own standards. Epic fail, and if you can't give a proper response, and just accuse me of semantics, you get an ignore.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Many of us have watched him for years.

Personally, my opinion of a player is not based on the HF Leafs prospect list voting. If that is what you base your opinions on, everything now makes sense with regards to your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad