GDT: Time to get Kraken: Flames in Seattle Sept. 22nd at 8pm MT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Sam has been watching Rhett, Boomer and Pinder and said to himself "I will show you, you negative nancies".

Keep your chin up Sammy and let's goo.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I would start Pelletier with Backs and Coleman. If he's going to be anything in this league it's a 2 way middle 6 forward. Will be curious to see where Coronato ends up, he was also great last preseason.

There are some top end pieces still missing but I do like the depth in the prospect pool. Like how Conroy has already acquired a lot of big bodies that skate well. These are the players that make or break playoff success.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Good stuff boys. Just caught the highlights today. Nice to start on the right foot w some positive vibes for the group that played .

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
1727075057730.png

My favorite moment tonight

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Just caught the highlights.

No garbage goals scored in this one. That tic tac toe play was really nice

And it looks like Coronato had quite a game. 3 point night, that backhand pass on the 4th goal was impressive. Also had a few other chances that didn't go in.

Wolf looked very sharp too.

I know it's just preseason, but encouraging to see. Hopefully those two take the next step this season.

Reactions: Figgy44

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Didn't watch, but happy to see the guys you wanted having good nights, having good nights on the box score.
Hot take, could Bruiser steal a spot if he keeps this up? He was dominant at the young stars, and preseason he's 1/1 in terms of high end games.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Didn't watch, but happy to see the guys you wanted having good nights, having good nights on the box score.
Hot take, could Bruiser steal a spot if he keeps this up? He was dominant at the young stars, and preseason he's 1/1 in terms of high end games.
The blue line is pretty, well, blue. There is at least one full time job up for grabs. Maybe two.

Him or Poirier possibly.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Personally I’m confused as to why Barrie is here unless a Rasmus trade is imminent

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Just caught the highlights.

No garbage goals scored in this one. That tic tac toe play was really nice

And it looks like Coronato had quite a game. 3 point night, that backhand pass on the 4th goal was impressive. Also had a few other chances that didn't go in.

Wolf looked very sharp too.

I know it's just preseason, but encouraging to see. Hopefully those two take the next step this season.

Pfft. It wasn't bad... But Wolf had no points. Overreacting to preseason! :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Felidae

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Personally I’m confused as to why Barrie is here unless a Rasmus trade is imminent
Easy... because putting young and/or inexperienced players in a position to fail is a terrible idea. We already don't know if Bahl is top 4 ready and Bean is the insurance there.

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
Easy... because putting young and/or inexperienced players in a position to fail is a terrible idea. We already don't know if Bahl is top 4 ready and Bean is the insurance there.

Those guys are the LD though. Barrie is RD. He joins the pack for Miromanov and Pachal for the 2nd and third pairing RD. I think Hanley is the guy who is a LHS LD/RD? But with Barrie, if we sign him, he's the 7th dman with Pachal. So we have 8 roster dmen with 3 that expire after this season and IMO that perhaps paints a specific picture for the kids that this entire season plus next summer is the audition.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Those guys are the LD though. Barrie is RD. He joins the pack for Miromanov and Pachal for the 2nd and third pairing RD. I think Hanley is the guy who is a LHS LD/RD? But with Barrie, if we sign him, he's the 7th dman with Pachal. So we have 8 roster dmen with 3 that expire after this season and IMO that perhaps paints a specific picture for the kids that this entire season plus next summer is the audition.
That's kinda my point. Miro & Pachal are nowhere near ready for top 4 play on a regular basis, they may not be kids but due to their experience they're still developing their NHL skills. Barrie gives us an insurance policy for them. We can put Barrie in a position to fail and it's not going to have a negative impact on his career.

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
That's kinda my point. Miro & Pachal are nowhere near ready for top 4 play on a regular basis, they may not be kids but due to their experience they're still developing their NHL skills. Barrie gives us an insurance policy for them. We can put Barrie in a position to fail and it's not going to have a negative impact on his career.

Oh, I see what you mean now after re-reading. You're saying Bean is the insurance on Bahl. Barrie is the insurance on Miromanov/Pachal.

Bean is nepotism though and Barrie is Huska favoritism. It'll never work. :sarcasm: I kid, I kid. I hope they do great.

I see what management's logic is though. I'd be curious to see if this is also prep work to bring Barrie to the org and prep him long term as a skills coach (ie: What Stone is doing right now, but Stone is the wrong style of dman for the majority of our young prospects).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I think Barrie's just here as a veteran guy to push people. He's known as being a really good locker room guy too. Honestly, a good way to make sure no one's taking anything for granted is having a guy who's played 800 games in the league trying to get one last kick at the can... I don't personally see him as a reasonable fit here long term anyway. Espsecially if Brzustewicz continues to impress.

I honestly find it annoying that Hunter still has to go back to the OHL if he doesn't make the Flames opening night roster, that he misses the age cutoff by 2 months for that. There's not much else to prove in that league, it's more important he starts playing against some men, tuning up his speed for the next level rather than putting up PPG in the OHL against teenagers again.

The only piece nailed down on the Flames backend is Weegar. The rest are replacement level or Rasmus who unless he wants to live through 3-4 more seasons of some dog shite, will probably find a new home here too.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Oh, I see what you mean now after re-reading. You're saying Bean is the insurance on Bahl. Barrie is the insurance on Miromanov/Pachal.

Bean is nepotism though and Barrie is Huska favoritism. It'll never work. :sarcasm: I kid, I kid. I hope they do great.

I see what management's logic is though. I'd be curious to see if this is also prep work to bring Barrie to the org and prep him long term as a skills coach (ie: What Stone is doing right now, but Stone is the wrong style of dman for the majority of our young prospects).
Regarding Stone, he was a near PPG defenseman in junior, hit 35+ points in his 3rd year in a much lower scoring league (and a team w/ only 2 fifty point guys), then the next season destroyed his ACL and was never the same.

His pedigree, early success and then his struggles that caused him to have to adapt his game are what could make him the right coach.

With Barrie I think it doesn't go deeper than they wanted a RHD insurance policy and Huska is familiar with Barrie from Kelowna

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
Regarding Stone, he was a near PPG defenseman in junior, hit 35+ points in his 3rd year in a much lower scoring league (and a team w/ only 2 fifty point guys), then the next season destroyed his ACL and was never the same.

His pedigree, early success and then his struggles that caused him to have to adapt his game are what could make him the right coach.

With Barrie I think it doesn't go deeper than they wanted a RHD insurance policy and Huska is familiar with Barrie from Kelowna

Barrie could teach higher calibre stuff that Stone can't. I don't believe it's all production. Both Stone and Barrie had offensive chops when developing, but Barrie is a legit PPQB type of guy who could guide guys like Parekh, Poirier etc. on nuances on how to toe the line and be lethal on point. Both guys teaching the kids would be idea with IMO Barrie teaching the offensive minded kids what to do in maximizing offense and minimizing risk and Stone teaching the defensive and physical guys how to maintain balance between attacking, physicality and defending.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Barrie could teach higher calibre stuff that Stone can't. I don't believe it's all production. Both Stone and Barrie had offensive chops when developing, but Barrie is a legit PPQB type of guy who could guide guys like Parekh, Poirier etc. on nuances on how to toe the line and be lethal on point. Both guys teaching the kids would be idea with IMO Barrie teaching the offensive minded kids what to do in maximizing offense and minimizing risk and Stone teaching the defensive and physical guys how to maintain balance between attacking, physicality and defending.
I'm not suggesting he can't teach them a lot, just don't think the PTO has an ulterior motive

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
I'm not suggesting he can't teach them a lot, just don't think the PTO has an ulterior motive

I think Barrie checks a lot of boxes, but I also think there's another potential attribute of Barrie's that could end up being a cherry on top. But we shall see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad