Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
True North also receives municipal and provincial subsidies, which include a $576,000 property-tax break on Canada Life Centre, a $246,00 business-tax refund, and the ability to collect $6.5 million worth of entertainment taxes on events at the arena.

True North may also collect as much as $5.5 million in annual revenue from 140 gaming machines at the Shark Club inside Cityplace mall.

Reactions: sipowicz and Hobble

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
As I have said in the past True North has revenue streams that Jets 1.0 could only dream of sure it costs a lot more to run a team now but the team brings in so much money from various sources. Empty seats don't put money in the owners pocket and after all he is in the business to make money and profit for the company.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
At one point I was very optimistic about downtown. There was a real resurgence of downtown areas across Canada from 2000-2015 and I thought Winnipeg could ride that wave. And for a while it looked like we were. But the last decade has killed any positive momentum.

There have been 60+ years of attempts of revitalizing downtown with billions of public dollars spent (think about things like City Hall, the Centennial Concert Hall/Manitoba Museum, Portage Place, The Forks, the Human Rights Museum, Canada Life Centre, Hydro Building, housing subsidies, etc.) , and look what it got us. You could spend another $3 billion trying to improve things but it wouldn't make a difference, new buildings simply won't fix the social problems that are the real issue.

I don't mean to be too negative, I don't think downtown is so bad that people refuse to go to Jets games on account of that. It's just that downtown is so dysfunctional now it doesn't really have any drawing power. Downtown is something you simply have to endure to go to a home game. And that's unfortunate for the Jets and TNSE.

You were right to be optimistic. There was a resurgence downtown, UW and RRC had gone on a building spree, new condos, lofts and hotels opened downtown and on the the river path, landlords in the Exchange had actually gone ahead and leased at reasonable rates to upstart restos and shops and the area was humming.

Then Covid hit. Spending dropped. Neither the city or province seemed minded to support downtown biz or residents. Ever larger housing estates opened elsewhere in the city and offered more living space and newer roads and schools -- it wasn't the developers who paid for those schools -- and why live or work or relax downtown when nothing was open past midnight and you had to pay for parking and there were people sleeping rough and when was the last time you actually saw a police officer not in a car making sure all was well there?

It's mostly the same all over. We have family elsewhere in NA and Europe and live in London and travel round the UK to see family friends and... it's mostly the same all over. Try walking down any major artery in central London, the West End, Oxford Street, and you'll find a rough sleeper in many doorways and most ATM machines. TO has hundreds sleeping rough in parks in any weather but dead of winter, and in my first week in Montreal as a student I found a dead man frozen on a bench on Rue St Catherine. There are too many who need help and not enough help available, and nearly no longterm help, and the police want some relief from what they call "mental health" cases because they take up a huge amount of time and effort and there's no end.

When I was at HSC a decent percentage of daily intake were folks we would see again and again, and who we could not help beyond a patch up and who there was not enopugh help for elsewhere. If they wanted to be there it was because it was warmer and there was someone to briefly help out. Briefly.

In the UK laws are being passed that, among other things, will allow arrest and removal for producing "an offensive odour," so living for any length of time as an unhoused person / rough sleeper. Where will the estimated 300,000 go who can be arrested for this?

It's a problem. No one wants to be accosted time and time again by aggressive panhandlers or witness some of the altercations or violence or desperation and stark need we too often see in downtowns. But it isn't going to disappear or be removed elsewhere without concerted effort by the levels of government and social services, including police and mental health supports and housing and food banks and people to support those and will and good faith.

It isn't really about choice, though choice may play a part in it. It's about issues that can only be solved by group action. So maybe tying these issues into the survival of a hockey club and the need to remake a downtown isn't such a bad thing, because something may actually get done that works. IMO.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
In the UK laws are being passed that, among other things, will allow arrest and removal for producing "an offensive odour," so living for any length of time as an unhoused person / rough sleeper. Where will the estimated 300,000 go who can be arrested for this?
So, there was a time when if you broke the law, you'd go to prison. If you weren't mentally sane, you were institutionalized

That might not be THE answer, but it was AN answer.

One of the scariest things these days is watching the breaking down and deterioration of the very idea of law and order in our society.. and that's coming from someone who has an irrational disdain for authority.

Yes, I realize marginalized people have rights. But, we also have laws

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You were right to be optimistic. There was a resurgence downtown, UW and RRC had gone on a building spree, new condos, lofts and hotels opened downtown and on the the river path, landlords in the Exchange had actually gone ahead and leased at reasonable rates to upstart restos and shops and the area was humming.

Then Covid hit. Spending dropped. Neither the city or province seemed minded to support downtown biz or residents. Ever larger housing estates opened elsewhere in the city and offered more living space and newer roads and schools -- it wasn't the developers who paid for those schools -- and why live or work or relax downtown when nothing was open past midnight and you had to pay for parking and there were people sleeping rough and when was the last time you actually saw a police officer not in a car making sure all was well there?

It's mostly the same all over. We have family elsewhere in NA and Europe and live in London and travel round the UK to see family friends and... it's mostly the same all over. Try walking down any major artery in central London, the West End, Oxford Street, and you'll find a rough sleeper in many doorways and most ATM machines. TO has hundreds sleeping rough in parks in any weather but dead of winter, and in my first week in Montreal as a student I found a dead man frozen on a bench on Rue St Catherine. There are too many who need help and not enough help available, and nearly no longterm help, and the police want some relief from what they call "mental health" cases because they take up a huge amount of time and effort and there's no end.

When I was at HSC a decent percentage of daily intake were folks we would see again and again, and who we could not help beyond a patch up and who there was not enopugh help for elsewhere. If they wanted to be there it was because it was warmer and there was someone to briefly help out. Briefly.

It's a problem. No one wants to be accosted time and time again by aggressive panhandlers or witness some of the altercations or violence or desperation and stark need we too often see in downtowns. But it isn't going to disappear or be removed elsewhere without concerted effort by the levels of government and social services, including police and mental health supports and housing and food banks and people to support those and will and good faith.

It isn't really about choice, though choice may play a part in it. It's about issues that can only be solved by group action. So maybe tying these issues into the survival of a hockey club and the need to remake a downtown isn't such a bad thing, because something may actually get done that works. IMO.
Ya we go to LA alot and the amount of homeless is unbelievable, was there in December last year and they were sleeping all over the Sunset Strip . Also the last time i was there was just before covid and now every second business on the Strip is closed. Covid did a number all over the world not just Winnipeg.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The update nobody asked for: My buddy found the RSVP, it was in his inbox from Friday. The tickets apparently had been in his name for a few weeks now. Thanks everyone who helped with an answer.

If ya'll see me tonight, I'll be in a Binnington jersey. Feel free to tell me to go f*** myself

Reactions: jokesondee

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
So, there was a time when if you broke the law, you'd go to prison. If you weren't mentally sane, you were institutionalized

That might not be THE answer, but it was AN answer.

One of the scariest things these days is watching the breaking down and deterioration of the very idea of law and order in our society.. and that's coming from someone who has an irrational disdain for authority.

Yes, I realize marginalized people have rights. But, we also have laws

Oh yeah, let's round 'em all up and put 'em in jail, that'll teach 'em!

JFC dude, have an ounce of compassion. Any society that refuses to house its people while criminalizing being homeless is f***in' pathetic and dystopian...

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Oh yeah, let's round 'em all up and put 'em in jail, that'll teach 'em!

JFC dude, have an ounce of compassion. Any society that refuses to house its people while criminalizing being homeless is f***in' pathetic and dystopian...
So having the mentally ill and untreated living under bridges and in parks is somehow now more acceptable than having them housed in facilties that can treat them and house them, we've done a 180 on common sense and so-called compassion!

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
So having the mentally ill and untreated living under bridges and in parks is somehow now more acceptable than having them housed in facilties that can treat them and house them, we've done a 180 on common sense and so-called compassion!

Nowhere did I assert that. People don't need to be treated like criminals because they can't conform to our narrow society. They deserve to be treated like humans - we should house and provide them care. It will be less costly to society in the long-run anyways.

some are born without a work ethic and reliance on govt. is the norm!

This is bullshit and puts the onus on the individual instead of actually forming a compassionate, caring, functional society.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Nowhere did I assert that. People don't need to be treated like criminals because they can't conform to our narrow society. They deserve to be treated like humans - we should house and provide them care. It will be less costly to society in the long-run anyways.

This is bullshit and puts the onus on the individual instead of actually forming a compassionate, caring, functional society.
You've never heard of generational welfare I suppose?

When people can come here from South East Asia and other places, broke, not knowing the language and customs and become succesful in a few short years....what does that tell you, it is up to the individual.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg

You've never heard of bootlicking for capitalism? Somehow it's always the fault of the individual and not the society that the system has shaped. It sounds like you'd rather blame people for their shortcomings than help them achieve anything resembling a humane existence.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
You've never heard of bootlicking for capitalism? Somehow it's always the fault of the individual and not the society that the system has shaped. It sounds like you'd rather blame people for their shortcomings than help them achieve anything resembling a humane existence.
I guess we'll agree to disagree, have a nice day!

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I guess we'll agree to disagree, have a nice day!

Agree to disagree is for things like pineapple on pizza - not for deciding who should be discarded to the poorest depths of our society. Not for judging other people's self-worth based on whether they can conform to our narrow view of what being "successful" means. It's not for deciding someone is a criminal because they cannot afford housing or food.

How we treat our most vulnerable tells us a lot about us as a society, and in North America we have chosen to discard and demonize ours. Makes me proud to be Canadian.

RestlessYoungZero

Jul 10, 2011

When people can come here from South East Asia and other places, broke, not knowing the language and customs and become succesful in a few short years....what does that tell you, it is up to the individual.
This is obviously aimed at a certain segment of our population and shows that you know absolutely nothing on the subject. Get bent.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Been volunteering with the homeless for a while now. What I've noticed is a bigger divide in people after the pandemic. Before covid hit there were many volunteers and people willing to help and volunteer. Again before the pandemic stories of compassion were easily heard. Like it or not the truth is people were divided during the last few years in a negative way.

I see less volunteers and hear more stories of people preserving themselves over helping others.

Bottom line for me is that we cant ask others (government , business etc.) to do what needs to be done we need to go out and do it ourselves.

If you have a problem with homelessness and how our most vulnerable are treated get out there and make change happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad