Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Imagine how things would've looked this year if they did the rebuild that so many people wanted.
Every team, even the regular powerhouses (something the Jets can not yet claim to be) fall on tough times and have to rebuild. It is the nature of sport to be cyclical. If this organization can't weather the storm for a few years whilst they dine with the other bottom feeders, then the team needs to be elsewhere. Period. End of discussion.

mic-drop.gif

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
Every team, even the regular powerhouses (something the Jets can not yet claim to be) fall on tough times and have to rebuild. It is the nature of sport to be cyclical. If this organization can't weather the storm for a few years whilst they dine with the other bottom feeders, then the team needs to be elsewhere. Period. End of discussion.

mic-drop.gif
That’d be a lot of teams moving then. The jets seem to be weathering just fine. I’m guessing Gary is here to help drum up corporate support.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

mic-drop.gif
well if you say so it must be true.. like it's honestly ridiculous to think rebuilds are easy and guaranteed to bring future success, just look around at the other teams that have been rebuilding for years... but yeah a rebuild was totally the right call and not a retool given where we are currently in the standings...

That’d be a lot of teams moving then. The jets seem to be weathering just fine. I’m guessing Gary is here to help drum up corporate support.
ya chris johnston reported that he was here to meet with corporate sponsors

Reactions: Jets 31

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
I think this a good thing. Whether the team can afford it or not, it's embarrassing that we have the second lowest attendance in the league. Especially when we have a top tier team.

Hope Gary can help to rectify the situation. Either we're an NHL city or we're not. Winnipeg needs to put up or shut up IMO.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Hope Gary can help to rectify the situation. Either we're an NHL city or we're not. Winnipeg needs to put up or shut up IMO.

Fans shouldn't have to swallow whatever bullshit overpriced tickets and concessions that TNSE serve up, though. Corporate sponsors should step up like they do in other cities. Let the owning class foot the bill. Regular working class folks shouldn't be the scapegoat here.

Obviously people are hurting in the current economic situation and are choosing to survive or cut back to what they can actually afford. Maybe if TNSE actually made the value-proposition worth while, the arena would be full.

I hope we mercilessly boo that rat-faced little f*** and actually press him with questions about why Winnipeg is getting the pressure and not every other "under-performing" market.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Bettman will suggest we follow the Glendale model. Start at say $25 million a year. At the same time TNSE could lower the price of ST. That popcorn's not going to eat itself.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
As others have said, he is probably here to drum up corporate support. He could also be here to be play the role of bad guy with not -so-subtle suggestions that it's not in the best interests of the long-term survival of the Winnipeg Jets if the decline in season ticket holders is not addressed by the corporate community in the not-too distant future. See his comments when the team came back - This arena better be full every night if this is gonna work! It's not like that comment would have blindsided Chipman and Thompson. He said what they were thinking, they just didn't want to say. Bettman playing the role of bad guy taking the heat.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Of course, all of the opining out of market fans are salivating at the chance to shit on Winnipeg even more. Never mind f***ing Detroit hasn't had a packed house in years. How is Buffalo going for you? f***ing spare me your holier than thou hand-wringing.

The fans can't be the scapegoat here. We have the lowest corporate buy-in in the league. It's up to the businesses to step up.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015

mic-drop.gif
The thing is that we didn’t actually need a re-build…

Reactions: Jets 31

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
"Maybe bringing in ultra-popular and beloved NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman to harangue Winnipeggers into buying more season tickets is just what we need!" - TNSE Marketing and Customer Service divisions

“He gets almost as many “blueeeeee” cheers as the Bombers do! He’s clearly super loved” - TNSE Marketing and Customer Service divisions person B

“Yeah!! That’s a great idea! No one will take this out of context either if we say it’s a fire side chat!!”
- TNSE Marketing and Customer Service divisions Person C

“Oh man you guys are so on point. We are so in touch with the average Winnipeg Jets fan. Here’s this Charmander wearing a monocle with a Clarinet meme to celebrate!” - TNSE Marketing and Customer Service divisions Person D

A round of drinks ensued

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Wasn't it reported somewhere at one point that Jets have a very low number of season ticket holders that are corporations, compared to other NHL teams?

There's your answer, and it sounds like that's what Gary might be trying to do

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
Unfortunately I haven't been to Winnipeg yet. Being curious I went to see how much tickets actually cost and bloody hell. I thought Switzerland was high.. roughly CAD 180-200 for a good seat is very expensive.

What's the average income in Winnipeg and surrounding areas?

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

The headline is more dire than the article reads. There's an interesting part where Chipman has been calling former STHs to find out whats going on, inviting them to a game of their choice this season.

One former STH said he couldn't go to those games now that he has kids with activities, etc. One fan said he was mad that someone in his section got the beer and a ticket deal and he didn't (which strikes me as pretty childish).

He also mentions that their reps haven't had to be a sales team in the past, but a service team, and that they haven't done a good job at that. Which echoes a lot of the complaints here.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

The headline is more dire than the article reads. There's an interesting part where Chipman has been calling former STHs to find out whats going on, inviting them to a game of their choice this season.

One former STH said he couldn't go to those games now that he has kids with activities, etc. One fan said he was mad that someone in his section got the beer and a ticket deal and he didn't (which strikes me as pretty childish).

He also mentions that their reps haven't had to be a sales team in the past, but a service team, and that they haven't done a good job at that. Which echoes a lot of the complaints here.

Well they seem to have collected the data and assessed themselves. Now they have a chance to correct the issues.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
Of course, all of the opining out of market fans are salivating at the chance to shit on Winnipeg even more. Never mind f***ing Detroit hasn't had a packed house in years. How is Buffalo going for you? f***ing spare me your holier than thou hand-wringing.

The fans can't be the scapegoat here. We have the lowest corporate buy-in in the league. It's up to the businesses to step up.
Average attendance in Detroit this season is 18,875. Buffalo is 15,980.

Winnipeg is 13,098.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I think people need to start getting used to the idea that 13k and below isn't going to cut it for our city. Corporate sponsors will either pony up the dough and help out, or, we will lose the team again. It's that simple.

THe guy can post the picture all he wants of the bus driver tapping on the the Jets not leaving sign all he wants. It's a business.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
How is their seating capacity though? Jets have the smallest arena in the league, and when fully sold out, have the 27th most people in attendance.

Detroit is 19,515 and 18,595 for Buffalo.

I think one factor here with regards to attendance numbers is that, while the rinks may look more empty for other markets than they do for Winnipeg, there are a lot of pre-sold tickets to corporate holders in those markets. They may not be being used leading to lower numbers, but they are pre-sold tickets already. If Winnipeg doesn't have that, it doesn't matter if the numbers of actual people in the stands is higher than other areas, it's that the seats that are empty are unsold.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad