Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I hate this thread. It's so depressing. What's going on Winnipeg?

Most people don't have the extra cash to be throwin' around at NHL games these days. Unfortunately, times are tougher when cost of living rises and wages stagnate.

Also, concession prices are extremely high - it's not just the price of tickets to the game.

There are lots of other factors, these are just the most obvious. I love to catch a Jets game when I can, but I'm just as happy sittin' at home watching them on the 85" QLED with a few cold ones that aren't $20 each.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Most people don't have the extra cash to be throwin' around at NHL games these days. Unfortunately, times are tougher when cost of living rises and wages stagnate.

Also, concession prices are extremely high - it's not just the price of tickets to the game.

There are lots of other factors, these are just the most obvious. I love to catch a Jets game when I can, but I'm just as happy sittin' at home watching them on the 85" QLED with a few cold ones that aren't $20 each.
You can’t listen to Sawyer at the game either.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
Winnipeg has an average attendance of 12,285 this year. That is the lowest attendance in the league other than the Coyotes, who have an arena capacity of 4600.

For comparison, Anaheim has averaged 15,314, Buffalo 15,596 and Ottawa 16,658.

I get that True North has made mistakes, but they have also done a lot of things right. We have a very good team that is winning.

IMO it's embarrassing. At some point you have to wonder if Winnipeg is an NHL city.

Reactions: HighFlyingJets

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Winnipeg has an average attendance of 12,285 this year. That is the lowest attendance in the league other than the Coyotes, who have an arena capacity of 4600.

I get that True North has made mistakes, but they have also done a lot of things right. We have a very good team that is winning.

IMO it's embarrassing. At some point you have to wonder if Winnipeg is an NHL city.
Sadly agree.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

11 straight years of sellouts then a pandemic hits ending up with people not having as much extra cash to spend, but yes, were not an nhl city...

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

See my post above. Just upgraded to a 75" over the weekend. Results aside, watching the Habs game was a pretty good experience vs driving downtown, paying $20 for parking, paying $300 to get into the rink, and paying $15 per beer.

As long as TNSE doesn't want my money, I'll be happy watching right here on my couch.

I can't be the only guy like me in my situation. I don't think it's a coincidence that roughly 20% refused the vax and that TNSE is down about the same amount of season ticket holders. Obviously there are other factors.

I don't blame them for doing what they had to do in the moment to follow whatever the govt put in place in order to operate their business. We all did. But the past is the past. I'm not sure where they think they have the upper hand here. They need me more than I need them (judging by the public messaging and the emails I'm getting from reps).

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
we have the smallest pool of people to draw from, other citys have way more people and cheaper ticket prices...
Yeah, which kinda gets back to us not being an NHL city, maybe? We're too small, but more important, we don't have the large corporate presence. How many big national companies HQ in Winnipeg? And Chipman coming out and trying to shame our local business leaders into providing more support, can you not see where that would maybe not go over so well?

The only reason we have an NHL team is because Chipman agreed to be Bettman's Big Stick in his fight with Glendale to approve subsidizing the Coyotes. Pass the motion, or else. We got a buyer ready, willing and able to take your team. For that reason, he was promised Winnipeg would be a landing spot if things went south (heh heh, pun intended) in another market. And that's exactly what happened when ASG decided they did not want hockey taking up space in their arena.

I will also posit that a large number of those early STH saw this as a money making opportunity. Keep some games for themselves, and sell off the rest at great profit (see: law of supply and demand) And that might have worked for a while, until TNSE saw what was going on and decided to make the resale market as unprofitable as possible. Plus, they pissed off their fan base to the point that supply exceeded demand.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Yeah, which kinda gets back to us not being an NHL city, maybe? We're too small, but more important, we don't have the large corporate presence. How many big national companies HQ in Winnipeg? And Chipman coming out and trying to shame our local business leaders into providing more support, can you not see where that would maybe not go over so well?

The only reason we have an NHL team is because Chipman agreed to be Bettman's Big Stick in his fight with Glendale to approve subsidizing the Coyotes. Pass the motion, or else. We got a buyer ready, willing and able to take your team. For that reason, he was promised Winnipeg would be a landing spot if things went south (heh heh, pun intended) in another market. And that's exactly what happened when ASG decided they did not want hockey taking up space in their arena.

I will also posit that a large number of those early STH saw this as a money making opportunity. Keep some games for themselves, and sell off the rest at great profit (see: law of supply and demand) And that might have worked for a while, until TNSE saw what was going on and decided to make the resale market as unprofitable as possible. Plus, they pissed off their fan base to the point that supply exceeded demand.
I guess you are right, were not an nhl city, it was a coincidence that we had 11 years of sell outs before a pandemic hit.. this was always going happen...

Last edited:

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

A lot of people with money chose to move away. Winnipeg probably has the fewest millionaires compared to any other market.

Economies have changed and you don’t have to live where you work anymore.

That said, I live in Vancouver and the reverse is happening now as people are leaving Vancouver to go to less amenity rich locations.

California is having an exodus as people move to Detroit (first the artists moved) and others cities that have declined.

Winnipeg could become sexy again. Cheap housing is a big deal!

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

AtomicJets

Dec 20, 2014
Do you think that True North is only profitable if they are selling 15000 tickets per game? Something tells me they can withstand 13000 for awhile if they have to.

What do you think would happen to all of True North's investments downtown if the Jets left? Do you think that would be a positive financial decision for them?

Do you think True North would be buying Portage Place and consolidating their ownership of essentially the entire downtown core if they were worried about the viability of their franchise in Winnipeg?

We would all love to see sellouts on a nightly basis. Of course. But the team is in no danger of leaving. If you use even the slightest bit of a common sense, you can see that.

Circumstances today are nothing like they were in 1996. To suggest that Winnipeg is not an NHL city is simply ignorant.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Do you think that True North is only profitable if they are selling 15000 tickets per game? Something tells me they can withstand 13000 for awhile if they have to.

What do you think would happen to all of True North's investments downtown if the Jets left? Do you think that would be a positive financial decision for them?

Do you think True North would be buying Portage Place and consolidating their ownership of essentially the entire downtown core if they were worried about the viability of their franchise in Winnipeg?

We would all love to see sellouts on a nightly basis. Of course. But the team is in no danger of leaving. If you use even the slightest bit of a common sense, you can see that.

Circumstances today are nothing like they were in 1996. To suggest that Winnipeg is not an NHL city is simply ignorant.
Totally agree, Winnipeg lost a team so of course we will lose it again, it's shity small Winnipeg after all don't you know. Covid hammered all business's, I'm in retail i see it first hand everyday , people don't have as much disposable income right now. I think it will get better over time. The Jets also need a new music dude to help liven up the arena, I'm going to put a application in. :laugh:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Interestingly, I've been dealing with a ticket rep recently who is trying to get me to use $1500 on my account to buy a ticket package

Long story short, I gave up my season tickets during covid because I wasn't able to enter the arena. They claimed that I broke the STH agreement and kept my $750 per seat deposit that I put down in 2012

I told the guy that if they refunded the money, I'd happily put it towards a 6 game pack of P1s... worth $2200 (meaning they'd get that $1500 plus I'd pay $700 more out of pocket). They refused.

So I told them that I'm happy to let that $1500 sit there in perpetuity and never spend a penny supporting the team.

Seems like odd business tactics. I'm lucky enough to be in a positon these days where I have some disposable income (I understand not everyone is as fortunate as I am) and am willing to spend it at CLC.

We'll see how it shakes out
I had a bad experience in 2004 dealing with ticket reps, as I was contemplating buying a Moose Mini pack, just about when they moved into the new arena. TNSE is horrible at PR, and lousy at service. I'm not the lease bit surprised that they do not have the ability to read the room.

I also have recently heard from a ticket rep regarding unused money from my old wait list spot. The rep was wanting me to buy a ticket package for upcoming games using that unused money.

I responded saying that I was not interested in games this year, and asked if next year was an option. I have received no response now after about 10 days. I doubt that I will ever hear back from this rep.
This is because TNSE is garbage at customer service. At this point, it would be better to outsource ticket sales to a third party, as even I could do a better job at selling Jets tickets, and keeping season ticket holders satisfied.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
A lot of people with money chose to move away. Winnipeg probably has the fewest millionaires compared to any other market.

Economies have changed and you don’t have to live where you work anymore.

That said, I live in Vancouver and the reverse is happening now as people are leaving Vancouver to go to less amenity rich locations.

California is having an exodus as people move to Detroit (first the artists moved) and others cities that have declined.

Winnipeg could become sexy again. Cheap housing is a big deal!
If we take into account average incomes and compare it with housing prices and cost of living, WInnipeg is only second to Edmonton, in terms of disposable income after housing is factored in. In addition to that, more wealthy people are being created than leaving Winnipeg The Metro area has gained 150,000 people since the Jets returned, and is currently sitting at 900,000 people.

And no, Californians are not moving to Detroit...lol. They are moving to Texas, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and even Idaho. Detroit continues to lose people. And yes, there was a big article about people from BC moving to Alberta due to the high cost of living:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
82wdka.jpg

Relax everyone...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
What's the point of this thread if any post mentioning one of the big reasons for the attendance drop in the past year just gets deleted? Just like our local media that won't even mention it.

It's not mentioning the reason why, it's getting into the effectiveness of the vaccine, etc. Not to mention any post about "they put me off I'm in the 20%" kind of stuff leads to pages of back and forth that are not related to attendance discussion but about whether it's smart or not to have taken it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad