Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm pretty excited that we're just one week away from my last trip home to Winnipeg from calgary. I honestly don't know how often I'll be coming back home when I moved to Cape breton, it's going to be a lot more expensive and time-consuming to fly all the way from the East coast.

It's going to sound soft but I'm sure I will be extremely emotional at the end of the game and especially flying away. Whenever I fly home from Winnipeg I always say see you next time cuz I don't want to say goodbye. Christ. I'm such an emotional man in my 40s.
You'll love it out there on the east coast. I grew up on PEI and my daughter is at uni in halifax now. The people are incredible.

You're right about travel being expensive and time consuming (although westjet has direct flights from Winnipeg from may to october)

I doubt you'll be missing winnipeg much when it's -40 here in January and you're outside in a hoodie lol

HighFlyingJets

Sep 30, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Anyone becoming concerned about the state of the franchise and the possibility of the owners having enough of losing money and deciding to sell to a party that will relocate the team?

Looking at tickets for sale online and there are still thousands of tickets available for the season opener. Nevermind a tuesday night game versus Arizona or St. Louis.

Its not looking good for us IMO.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Anyone becoming concerned about the state of the franchise and the possibility of the owners having enough of losing money and deciding to sell to a party that will relocate the team?

Looking at tickets for sale online and there are still thousands of tickets available for the season opener. Nevermind a tuesday night game versus Arizona or St. Louis.

Meh. All those pink ones are resale. Not a lot of blue on the map for the opener.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

you-are-correct-sir.jpg

People are foolishly ignoring the portents of doom. They will laugh and say it won't happen, and then one day, without warning...

:scared:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

There are only about 300 tickets left, probably around 200 that are singles for the home opener. They could call it a sellout now if they wanted. The Kings game on Tues probably has around 400-500 tickets left. It looks good so far.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I try not to think too much about the team's future and Winnipeg . I also think that the ownership has completely abused and used up all the goodwill of our lovely city. I don't blame people for not supporting the ownership but I also really don't like the idea of the Jets leaving again.

Reactions: GNP and Cypruss

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

They are making money hand over fist based on the Jets and Moose being downtown. The hockey teams are only a part of their business.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Game 1. Home opener. 13,400 people. 2,000 short of a sellout.

Not sure if the Jets have ever not sold out before for an opener? I was happily at most - but my last one was in October 2019.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
They must not be posting all the actual available seats on ticketmaster if there were only 13400 there. That's 1900 or so short of a sellout. A few days before the game I did a quick count of the blue dots, even the singles, and there couldn't have been more than 5 - 600 available

Reactions: jetsmooseice

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I'm pretty excited that we're just one week away from my last trip home to Winnipeg from calgary. I honestly don't know how often I'll be coming back home when I moved to Cape breton, it's going to be a lot more expensive and time-consuming to fly all the way from the East coast.

It's going to sound soft but I'm sure I will be extremely emotional at the end of the game and especially flying away. Whenever I fly home from Winnipeg I always say see you next time cuz I don't want to say goodbye. Christ. I'm such an emotional man in my 40s.

I used to live in the east coast (newfoundland). Its beautiful out there. You will love it!

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Selling tickets is a slog this year. I have a pair of P3s up for Thursday's game below cost on Fans First and people keep under cutting me. Last year it would have gone a week earlier at 25% higher.

Reactions: GNP

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
I try not to think too much about the team's future and Winnipeg . I also think that the ownership has completely abused and used up all the goodwill of our lovely city. I don't blame people for not supporting the ownership but I also really don't like the idea of the Jets leaving again.
Having a grudge against ownership wont get anywhere. If people want a team here they will have to support them. I dont like the quality of the food or the price of food and beer so i don’t spend money when i go to games, but i still go. I’m a fan and I want the team here. They did the impossible bringing a team back to the city. I give them all the credit for the work they did and continue to do.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Having a grudge against ownership wont get anywhere. If people want a team here they will have to support them. I dont like the quality of the food or the price of food and beer so i don’t spend money when i go to games, but i still go. I’m a fan and I want the team here. They did the impossible bringing a team back to the city. I give them all the credit for the work they did and continue to do.

Yeah and I flew to Winnipeg for a day to see the home opener, and fly every year to see games. What's your point exactly?

Reactions: MarkWheeler

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
TNSE probably makes more on the margins for food and drink than the tickets

A real fan would buy beers and dump them in the urinals to keep the team

The reason I haven't bought tickets in years is because I don't like how TNSE treated me as a season ticket holder for 6 years

You dislike the quality of food and drink, so you don't spend money on them. I dislike the level of customer service and the product they've iced, so I don't spend money on it. We're the same

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
82wdka.jpg

They own a modern, paid-off arena (and all attendant revenue streams) that was financed when interest rates were around 0.5% - and if that weren't enough, the mortgage was paid by government tax breaks and refunds (to the tune of about $12M/year). They also operate a franchise in a hard-cap pro sports league with a guaranteed 50-50 player/owner revenue split and significant leaguewide revenue sharing (playoffs, merch, national TV deals, etc.). On top of all that, the co-owner of TNSE is worth billions and seems quite invested in the idea of NHL hockey in Winnipeg. To top it all off, the team is worth 10 times what they paid for it in 2011 (Sens just sold for $950M USD = $1.25B CAD).

They made a lot of hay while the sun was shining, and with their current ownership structure and facilities and conditions, they can certainly weather some empty seats.

Things are completely different - in many ways, totally opposite - to the conditions in the early/mid 90s that led to the original Jets franchise relocation.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

YIKES!!

In fairness Calgary is not even close to selling out wither, and neither is Edmonton. However, Calgary also has 4,000 extra seats which are all up in the nosebleeds. I am not sure if Edmonton has an excuse, as they just built an 18,000 seat arena not too long ago, and have a playoff contender, with two of the best player in the league.

Ottawa has also done poorly since 2018 in terms of attendance. My honest belief is that due to the Canadian dollar dropping to 0.75 US, as well as the salary cap nearly doubling since the Jets returned in 2011, the NHL has priced itself out of the Winnipeg market.

Our only saving grace will be to get large Winnipeg corporations to gobble up 50% of tickets. Otherwise, the Jets may not last past 2030.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad