Post-Game Talk: Three Stars #45: Devils @ Rangers, aka, "Season's Over"

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
Am I the only one who's not upset Boyle's out with an injury, and hoping that he doesn't come back?

I think the lines look really good and I look forward to boyle coming back and centering the 4th line between asham/powe and pyatt and dorsett being on the 3rd line....I think when everyone is healthy it opens up SO many options!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think the lines look really good and I look forward to boyle coming back and centering the 4th line between asham/powe and pyatt and dorsett being on the 3rd line....I think when everyone is healthy it opens up SO many options!

Who are you kidding Boyle will be on the 3rd line at worst and the PP.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Devils fans (and maybe the Devils themselves) need to understand that because you throw 10-15 40+ footers at the net doesn't mean you outplayed your opponents by padding your shot total.

Anyone that saw this game saw that the Devils barely any good chances. We had good chances virtually every trip into their zone.

silly1118

Feb 12, 2007
Can a Ranger fan please explain in depth what happened with the end of the game? I didnt get to see the game.....what happened with Asham, Eminger and Doboer?

Thanks in advance

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Hey Devils,

attachment.php

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
4. It's partly because of less dump and chase but that's because teams aren't fast or physical against us in the neutral zone and we haven't had to chase. It'd be interesting to see how the other factor in our offensive uprising -- individual efforts/confidence will hold up against a tough team.

We might have to wait for the playoffs to find out.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, personnel-wise this team is loads better than last year's team. I'm going to include Staal in this team, hopefully he comes back.

Nash>Gabby
Stepan>Richards (much more consistent, better defense)
Richards>Stepan, the way Richards is playing now
Brassard>Anisimov/Dubinsky/Boyle
Moore>Bickel

There are obviously some players that played a lot better last year like Girardi, but I think this team is far more solid than last year's. That team was grittier, but this team is much more talented and now just as deep if not deeper.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
BTW, personnel-wise this team is loads better than last year's team. I'm going to include Staal in this team, hopefully he comes back.

Nash>Gabby
Moore>Bickel

There are obviously some players that played a lot better last year like Girardi, but I think this team is far more solid than last year's. That team was grittier, but this team is much more talented and now just as deep if not deeper.

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2013 understatement of the year. Congrats! :laugh:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don't see it. Best case i'd say it's about the same.

Now, if Richards can step up again in the playoffs, we'll be in a good position.But without a healthy Staal, its hard to argue we're a better team. Especially when we finished in first last year, and are looking at 7th or 8th this year.

RothmanHockey

NEW YORK – It was made sweeter by the fact that it knocked an arch-rival out of postseason contention.

But, make no mistake: The Rangers (24-17-4, 52 pts, 8th in East), in a 4-1 win over the Devils, merely did what they had to do. They collected two more points, putting themselves in a virtual tie for seventh place in the Eastern Conference playoffs with three games to go. Ottawa officially remains 7th with one game in hand.

“We weren’t thinking about last year,†said Ryan McDonagh when asked if the win was sweeter because it knocked the Devils out after New Jersey ended the Rangers season last May. “This is a totally different year, and we’re trying to fight for our lives and get ourselves an opportunity to get back to that stage again.â€

http://insidehockey.com/rangers-eliminate-devils-move-closer-to-playoffs

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Nash>Gabby
Moore>Bickel

Moore over Bickel is the only clear upgrade. The other one you didn't mention was Zuccarello>Mitchell. The Stepan-Richards thing is a wash.

Nash=Gaborik (at least Gabby from last season)
Brassard=Anisimov
Clowe=Dubinsky
Pyatt=Fedotenko
Asham=Rupp
Dorsett=Prust (hopefully)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't see it. Best case i'd say it's about the same.

Now, if Richards can step up again in the playoffs, we'll be in a good position.But without a healthy Staal, its hard to argue we're a better team. Especially when we finished in first last year, and are looking at 7th or 8th this year.

I included Staal, reading the injury thread maybe I shouldn't have. However, if Staal IS healthy, this team has loads more potential. Last year's team overachieved by a lot. This year's team underachieved by a lot. Also you have to consider, a lack of depth at center and D, and Gabby being useless are big reasons we underachieved this year. The trades IMO were a big help and I hated both of them. That said, they still had an inexcusable uninspired loss to the Flyers just 4 games ago and despite the scores the Rangers played really loose defensively against Florida and Buffalo. Still IMO, if we had this team the whole year (with Richie playing how he's playing now) we'd be within shouting distance of the Pens at worst.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Lol, didn't even realize, but of course we play them one more time. They get their chance if we let it come down to that.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
I feel bad for some of the Devils fans. The realistic ones.
Half of them won't let go of Brodeur, and concede that he's pretty bad now

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Moore over Bickel is the only clear upgrade. The other one you didn't mention was Zuccarello>Mitchell. The Stepan-Richards thing is a wash.

Nash=Gaborik (at least Gabby from last season)
Brassard=Anisimov
Clowe=Dubinsky
Pyatt=Fedotenko
Asham=Rupp
Dorsett=Prust (hopefully)

Which Stepan-Richards one? The first one I disagree. Richards had a REALLY hot March last year, but Stepan has had a far more consistent season and for longer. Also Richards' hot March was largely due to Gaborik. However, come playoffs Gabby is not that reliable. We don't really know how it is with Nash due to his tiny sample size. Finally, Stepan is a better defensive player.

If you meant the 2nd Stepan-Richards comparison you may be right. Though Richards has played very well lately. Tied for #2 on the team in points for April with Nash.

Nash>Gaborik, IMO. Similar production, but Nash just does a lot more. With similar productions, give me the guy that can pin the other team in their zone even when he doesn't score rather than the guy that guy stands there waiting for a pass. IMO Nash is the much more effective player. Plus Gabby is not a very good playoff performer. I think Nash's game translates better. Though he'd have to cut out trying to toe drag everyone, won't work in the playoffs.

The others you may be right, but that's depth. Depth was a big problem for us this year. If our depth is even, we're good. IMO, our top end is better. Not by too much, but better. Also if Staal comes back our depth on D is better.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00