Post-Game Talk: Three Stars #45: Devils @ Rangers, aka, "Season's Over"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I beat this team up quite a bit because quite frankly I expect more from them night in and night out.

I could care less if the Devils gave up, I LIKED what I saw from this team in the 1st period.

Played with composure and smarts. Seemed to be throwing everything at the net and went there with intent.

I have had my complaints, justified each and every one.

It's time I commend them for a job well done.

Two wins, eliminate three teams in the process? Score 18 goals in the process?

They have put together a nice end to the season and that's what you want for a team fighting for the PO's.

Lets keep this going against FLA, CAR and again next weekend against the Debbies.

Good job boys.

Dangleberry

Feb 21, 2012
Queens, NY
Just got home form the game. It was a good game.

What were those unsportsmanlike conduct penalties about? What was the deal with Asham and Deboer at the end?

Drewbackatu*

I beat this team up quite a bit because quite frankly I expect more from them night in and night out.

I could care less if the Devils gave up, I LIKED what I saw from this team in the 1st period.

Played with composure and smarts. Seemed to be throwing everything at the net and went there with intent.

I have had my complaints, justified each and every one.

It's time I commend them for a job well done.

Two wins, eliminate three teams in the process? Score 18 goals in the process?

They have put together a nice end to the season and that's what you want for a team fighting for the PO's.

Lets keep this going against FLA, CAR and again next weekend against the Debbies.

Good job boys.

Ditto!

Wolfy*

Just got home form the game. It was a good game.

What were those unsportsmanlike conduct penalties about? What was the deal with Asham and Deboer at the end?

Asham checked some devil after the whistle, refs didn't like it and Asham ran his mouth. Deboer told the officials what he meant about them after all the calls against the devils. Refs obviously didn't tolerate this kind of yelling. Team actually embarrassed by their coach, he lost his head.

*Bob Richards*

No. He's not on the team.

Ah, but there are criteria for having your name on the Cup and I believe you don't have to be an active player on said winning team.

I'm not sure what it is for a lockout season but for a regular season you had to play a decent chunk of it or a single playoff game.

I'm sure someone knows it better than I do.

MrEctions

Willy Nilly
Apr 24, 2007
Clinton, Ny
I seriously cant wait to see Staal and Dorsett inserted into this lineup. I think Dorse gives us a huge boost in the bottom 6, and Staal moves Emmy out and our D looks a ton better.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Ah, but there are criteria for having your name on the Cup and I believe you don't have to be an active player on said winning team.

I'm not sure what it is for a lockout season but for a regular season you had to play a decent chunk of it or a single playoff game.

I think Gaborik qualifies, he played 35 games this season for the Rangers, which should be plenty enough.

Prior to 1977 only players who had completed the Stanley Cup playoffs were eligible. Today, players appearing in 41 regular-season games or one Stanley Cup Final game for the championship team have their names engraved on the Cup.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I can't even describe the look on my face when they announced that DeBoer was getting ejected and I looked at the Rangers bench, figuring Torts had to be involved somehow, and he was just standing there not involved at all...

*Bob Richards*

Now I brought that up, but I'm still not positive that it qualifies him. I know you can still be given a ring in baseball but obviously this is hockey.

Gartner played 71 games with the Rangers in 94 and its nada for him.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Now I brought that up, but I'm still not positive that it qualifies him. I know you can still be given a ring in baseball but obviously this is hockey.

Gartner played 71 games with the Rangers in 94 and its nada for him.

We are actually assuming the Rangers will win the cup. :laugh:

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY

Those criteria are to give players who are out with injuries a ring.

If you're traded away to another team you don't qualify.

Think about it, if you play 41 games for the rangers then get traded to the kings, and there's a rangers-kings SCF, you get a ring no matter who wins? That would be pretty Pejorative Slured if that was the case.

*Bob Richards*

Think about it, if you play 41 games for the rangers then get traded to the kings, and there's a rangers-kings SCF, you get a ring no matter who wins? That would be pretty Pejorative Slured if that was the case.

Makes much more sense.

As for the bolded, I could swear something like that happened in baseball recently. I believe it was a catcher? His former team and current team played in the WS and he was guaranteed a ring. Weird. :laugh:

BarbaraAlphanse

Eh. If you play over half a season with a team you had some sort of effect on them. Just seems like a formality at this point more so than does it make sense or not.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Makes much more sense.

As for the bolded, I could swear something like that happened in baseball recently. I believe it was a catcher? His former team and current team played in the WS and he was guaranteed a ring. Weird. :laugh:

Happened to RP Arthur Rhodes couple years ago. Played for Rangers, released and picked up by Cardinals who ended up facing Rangers in World Series. 8th time that's ever happened.

JD123

Mar 6, 2013
Read through parts of Devils GDT and they so mad at those 'Season's Over' chants. Love it.

But wait they still have three games left, with two of them at Home, which I am sure will be in front of an excited packed house that Chico can boast about.oh...don't forget about the amazing "hey you suck" goal song ;) haha

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
ok, I think this is the definitive answer

Currently, in order to have one's name inscribed on the Cup, a player must have played at least 41 games for the championship team during the regular season (provided the player remains with the team when they win the Cup) or at least played in one game of the Finals. However, the NHL will also consider other reasons on a case-by-case basis.

http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Stanley_Cup

Funny that the NHL website doesn't make that distinction

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=25432
To have one's name engraved on the Stanley Cup certain requirements must be met. A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in 1994 a stipulation was added to allow a team to petition the Commissioner for permission to have players' names put on the Cup if extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
I don't know if this was said but this is the first season where both the Flyers and Devils missed the playoffs.

Guess which team was responsible in hammering the final nail in the coffin for both teams?

tumblr_mlcyf3a5fP1so0d5zo1_500.gif

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
What a great birthday for me - watching in person the Rangers win, the Devils elimination, my wife and I shown on the super screen... twice during the glass change and finally a nice steak dinner at Uncle Jack's :yo:

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I don't know if this was said but this is the first season where both the Flyers and Devils missed the playoffs.

Interesting. Now we just have to root for both teams to win out (except for the devils game against us on Saturday.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad