OT: Thread About Nothing (TaN #...lost count)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Lots of you chaps not using deodorant?

Good thing this isn't a physical forum, it would smell like a WWE house show in here.

Gotta tell ya, my two colognes are Montblanc Explorer and Montblanc Legend Night.

Legend Night is apple/bergamot and it's my favorite smelling thing I've ever worn.

My favorite from the Mont Blanc house is Individuel. Like fresh fabric softener with a raspberry touch. Or like Joop! BUT not as strong and headache inducing. I've gotten so many compliments on it.

I've gone back to my old stand by - Dirty English by Juicy Couture. (I know, I know) In the colder months it's perfect. Black Leather/Oud/Wood/Amber & Musk. Think fresh firewood. It's addictive. For 30 dollars it's unbeatable

PATRICK SUSKIND'S novel is a book of smells - the odors of history, in fact - and on the first page 18th-century Paris is anatomized into its component stinks. In its most fetid spot, beside a mephitic cemetery and beneath a fish stall, the hero of ''Perfume,'' Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, is born. But the point, the miraculous point, is that he has no smell at all. He is an orphan whose absence of body odor turns him, also, into an outcast - both damned and blessed, pariah and magician.

Reactions: JimEIV and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
PATRICK SUSKIND'S novel is a book of smells - the odors of history, in fact - and on the first page 18th-century Paris is anatomized into its component stinks. In its most fetid spot, beside a mephitic cemetery and beneath a fish stall, the hero of ''Perfume,'' Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, is born. But the point, the miraculous point, is that he has no smell at all. He is an orphan whose absence of body odor turns him, also, into an outcast - both damned and blessed, pariah and magician.

Have you gotten some new chickens yet?

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
My favorite from the Mont Blanc house is Individuel. Like fresh fabric softener with a raspberry touch. Or like Joop! BUT not as strong and headache inducing. I've gotten so many compliments on it.

I've gone back to my old stand by - Dirty English by Juicy Couture. (I know, I know) In the colder months it's perfect. Black Leather/Oud/Wood/Amber & Musk. Think fresh firewood. It's addictive. For 30 dollars it's unbeatable
Montblanc is definitely underrated in the cologne game. I like it so much... sometimes I walk in a straight line then quickly turn around and head in the other direction just to get a whiff.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I was just reading a public opinion poll on CNN whether Americans felt the Israeli response was justified...And I was sort of intrigued by the age breakdown...this isn't meant to be political...just kind of interesting how contrasting public opinion between over 50 and 35 and under are. I'm sure this breakdown translates to most other topics...which kind of leads me to believe that the division in the US isn't left vs right as much as old vs young...it maybe the same thing I suppose?

You literally have the oldest 80% in favor and the youngest over 70% opposed. I just find that dynamic incredibly interesting.

"older Americans are also much likelier than younger ones to say it is completely justified (81% of those age 65 or older see the response as fully justified, compared with 56% of 50-to-64-year-olds, 44% of 35-to-49-year-olds and 27% of 18-to-34-year-olds)."

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I was just reading a public opinion poll on CNN whether Americans felt the Israeli response was justified...And I was sort of intrigued by the age breakdown...this isn't meant to be political...just kind of interesting how contrasting public opinion between over 50 and 35 and under are. I'm sure this breakdown translates to most other topics...which kind of leads me to believe that the division in the US isn't left vs right as much as old vs young...it maybe the same thing I suppose?

You literally have the oldest 80% in favor and the youngest over 70% opposed. I just find that dynamic incredibly interesting.

"older Americans are also much likelier than younger ones to say it is completely justified (81% of those age 65 or older see the response as fully justified, compared with 56% of 50-to-64-year-olds, 44% of 35-to-49-year-olds and 27% of 18-to-34-year-olds)."
Politics skewing further from left to right as you move up the age brackets isn't a particularly new phenomenon. Older and younger people are always more likely to see issues as black and white whereas those between 30-60 tend to see a lot more gray as well. I think the biggest issue with regard to the perceived division is less to do with any change of how far apart the sides actually are over the last 15 years and more to do with the increased and more constant exposure to public opinions and media alike. It was easier to think you had common ground with someone before you were subjected to seeing their misinformed takes 5 times a day.

One thing I would keep in mind with this particular topic, anyone under 25 or so probably doesn't remember much about 9/11 or the subsequent years that subconciously shape a lot of opinion regarding any middle eastern politics for those of us that do.

Reactions: JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Politics skewing further from left to right as you move up the age brackets isn't a particularly new phenomenon. Older and younger people are always more likely to see issues as black and white whereas those between 30-60 tend to see a lot more gray as well. I think the biggest issue with regard to the perceived division is less to do with any change of how far apart the sides actually are over the last 15 years and more to do with the increased and more constant exposure to public opinions and media alike. It was easier to think you had common ground with someone before you were subjected to seeing their misinformed takes 5 times a day.

One thing I would keep in mind with this particular topic, anyone under 25 or so probably doesn't remember much about 9/11 or the subsequent years that subconciously shape a lot of opinion regarding any middle eastern politics for those of us that do.

For older people, I think the fact that they remember the 1967 6 Day War, the 1973 Yom Kippur War, the 1982 Lebanon War and the 2006 2nd Lebanon War has more to do with public opinion than 9/11.

That's not to say that the events here in 2001 have nothing to do with public opinion, it just that if you're over 65 you remember a lot more of the turmoil and events that got us to where we are today.

I would also add the Iran hostage crisis significantly shaped mid-east public opinion for older people. I was 9 years old when the crisis began and that was the first time in my life that I had been introduced to geo-political issues. Not really because I was interested but everyday on the news they would start the newscast with marking the number of days Americans were held hostage... literally every day would begin with "Day 365 of the hostage crisis" that went on for 444 days.

When I was 9 I asked why all the trees had yellow ribbons around them. They were for the hostages of course but then I learned who Tony Orlando and Dawn were :laugh:

Reactions: Rhodes 81

My3Sons

Sponsor
Speaking of crisis politics, Rolling Stone dropped its updated list of the top 250 guitarists. Aside from their lip service criteria (if you include songwriting -which they claim they did - the list changes dramatically but they didn't really take it into account or the best guitarist would be someone like Dylan or McCartney or Lennon or Townshend with the possible exception of Hendrix) they have David Gilmour at 28. 28!! What is wrong with those morons? 28? 28!! This is treason of the highest order. I will not stand for this. I demand a recount!! This election was stolen or at least Gerrymandered. 28? Losers.

Reactions: Guadana

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Have you gotten some new chickens yet?

after the february massacre i needed some off cluck time...need to fix up the run (coop is fort knox...the run is fox proof, not weasel proof it seems)

its overrun with tomato plants naturally growing ....there was a massive wasp nest the size of a volleyball... ....its encased like a green house with old glass sliding doors...

maybe next spring. would love too but it's a commitment not taken lightly

Reactions: My3Sons

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

I just read that one, it still says most people find it partially jusitifed....

" Majorities across age and party, though, say the Israeli response is at least partially justified, with very few Americans of any age or party affiliation saying the response is not at all justified."

Where the younger ages came into play even more was they felt more sympathy for the Palestine people than the older ages...

" But here too, there are divides by age and party, with younger Americans and Democrats likelier to express a lot of sympathy for the Palestinian people than Republicans and older Americans. Majorities across party lines express a lot of sympathy for the Israeli people (78% of Republicans, 68% of independents and 67% of Democrats), but there is a broad gap between the share of Democrats (49%) and independents (47%) who have a lot of sympathy for the Palestinian people and the share of Republicans who say the same (26%).

The division by age appears even wider: Among those age 65 or older, 87% have a lot of sympathy for the Israeli people, while 36% feel the same toward Palestinians. Among those younger than 35, 61% say they have a lot of sympathy for the Israeli people and nearly the same share, 54%, say the same about the Palestinian people. "

My3Sons

Sponsor
I just read that one, it still says most people find it partially jusitifed....

" Majorities across age and party, though, say the Israeli response is at least partially justified, with very few Americans of any age or party affiliation saying the response is not at all justified."

Where the younger ages came into play even more was they felt more sympathy for the Palestine people than the older ages...

" But here too, there are divides by age and party, with younger Americans and Democrats likelier to express a lot of sympathy for the Palestinian people than Republicans and older Americans. Majorities across party lines express a lot of sympathy for the Israeli people (78% of Republicans, 68% of independents and 67% of Democrats), but there is a broad gap between the share of Democrats (49%) and independents (47%) who have a lot of sympathy for the Palestinian people and the share of Republicans who say the same (26%).

The division by age appears even wider: Among those age 65 or older, 87% have a lot of sympathy for the Israeli people, while 36% feel the same toward Palestinians. Among those younger than 35, 61% say they have a lot of sympathy for the Israeli people and nearly the same share, 54%, say the same about the Palestinian people. "

The age gap also probably lines up with the status of Israel which has gone from being an out numbered and disadvantaged country under attack in the 1950s through the 1970s to a regional power that is stable and prospers relative to neighboring countries and has even managed to carve out peace with some of them. Israel’s enemies now are non-state actors like Hamas Hezbollah and offshoots of the PLO. The threat by Iran is a rare event for Israel in the last thirty years. To young people in the West Israel is just another capitalist technocracy. Then layer in the young person’s lack of experience and it’s easy to see the age gap playing out as it does.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm posting from the woods having a cup of coffee. I feel horrible looking at my phone during such a beautiful morning...its a nice morning but no movement at all. The woods are super quiet aside from the sound acorns falling. But the colors against the steel blue sky are awesome today. The woods have a golden hue to them with no sun to speak of

Unfortunately my phone couldn't do the Creek justice.

IMG_20231017_091445948_HDR.jpg

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I'm posting from the woods having a cup of coffee. I feel horrible looking at my phone during such a beautiful morning...its a nice morning but no movement at all. The woods are super quiet aside from the sound acorns falling. But the colors against the steel blue sky are awesome today. The woods have a golden hue to them with no sun to speak of

Unfortunately my phone couldn't do the Creek justice.

View attachment 753846

The rest of the world doesn't see enough of this version of your beautiful country. You could show me this picture and tell me that it was taken 5 minutes from where I live and I wouldn't bat an eye.

Your biodiversity over there is truly enviable.

From lakes, forests, golden beaches, deserts and snow capped mountains. Wow, America has it all and it's really not surprising that Americans don't need to leave to experience all kinds of biomes.

My3Sons

Sponsor
The rest of the world doesn't see enough of this version of your beautiful country. You could show me this picture and tell me that it was taken 5 minutes from where I live and I wouldn't bat an eye.

From lakes, forests, golden beaches, deserts and snow capped mountains. Wow, America has it all and it's really not surprising that Americans don't need to leave to experience all kinds of biomes.
Yeah, but you get spotted dick.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I thought this was super cool.

That’s a cool program, great idea to deal with all the waste. I know they crush clam shells to use them for parking lots instead of stones. I’m not sure how much of natural oysters from those beds are actually harvested though. Pretty much every oyster you get in a restaurant comes from a farm.

My neighbor just got into oyster harvesting this year with a guy that has some leases from the state in Little Egg Harbor by Tuckerton. It’s a really cool process, I think they just picked up 80,000 seeds or some crazy amount.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I thought this was super cool.

That’s a cool program, great idea to deal with all the waste. I know they crush clam shells to use them for parking lots instead of stones. I’m not sure how much of natural oysters from those beds are actually harvested though. Pretty much every oyster you get in a restaurant comes from a farm.

My neighbor just got into oyster harvesting this year with a guy that has some leases from the state in Little Egg Harbor by Tuckerton. It’s a really cool process, I think they just picked up 80,000 seeds or some crazy amount.

It's crazy how much they collected just from one city. I read an article a bit ago about NYC introducing separating food scraps from regular trash so I'm expecting NJ might follow suit eventually though I can't imagine most people are gonna follow it. Most people barely follow the recycling rules as it is.

Biggest pet peeve of mine is seeing people throwing stuff out of their car windows. Absolutely vile humans.

Reactions: JimEIV and JK3

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
It's crazy how much they collected just from one city. I read an article a bit ago about NYC introducing separating food scraps from regular trash so I'm expecting NJ might follow suit eventually though I can't imagine most people are gonna follow it. Most people barely follow the recycling rules as it is.

Biggest pet peeve of mine is seeing people throwing stuff out of their car windows. Absolutely vile humans.

we have 4 things we put out to the curb here..

trash
recycles
food/compostable (green bin)
yard waste bags

which i have to do tonight for tomorrow's pickup.

glad it's a wednesday pickup here......monday would suck as who wants to do this shit sunday night or early monday morning......friday would be a pain also if you want to take off on thursday night out of town ...sure you can leave the bins out thursday night but then they will be sitting at the end of the driveway for 2 or 3 days.

and now to bitch about why i have the lowest row on the community mailbox and i have to bend over to get my mail..... i want eye height box for f*** sakes

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I live in a very suburban area but there is a State Park behind the house that is pretty big in area. Just about everything lives in those woods.

But last night at around 2:30 am I heard the unmistakable sound of a pack of coyotes it was so loud that I could hear it from my bedroom. They had to be in people's yards next to houses the sound was close.

I feel bad for anyone that heard that and didn't know what it was. It's a pretty spooky sound to hear in the middle of the night. Sometimes it almost sounds like a baby crying which is even freakier.

I bet someone lost a pet last night.

Reactions: Guadana and Saugus

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I live in a very suburban area but there is a State Park behind the house that is pretty big in area. Just about everything lives in those woods.

But last night at around 2:30 am I heard the unmistakable sound of a pack of coyotes it was so loud that I could hear it from my bedroom. They had to be in people's yards next to houses the sound was close.

I feel bad for anyone that heard that and didn't know what it was. It's a pretty spooky sound to hear in the middle of the night. Sometimes it almost sounds like a baby crying which is even freakier.

I bet someone lost a pet last night.

I also live in the suburbs, but we hear a pack moving through the neighborhood about once a month. When I take my dog out at night, I always keep a maglight handy and wear gloves.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Ya, we are a pretty big country, and that's without counting Hawaii and Alaska.

But, more specifically, I remember going through Yellow Stone nat'l park and being impressed by how different certain area's were compared to others.

Bit of an offshoot of the above, I think French Canada is a underappreciated area in terms of cultural diversity. In Europe it's no big deal, and I guess it's changed in the US with the influx of spanish speaking immigrants in recent years, but aside from those immigrants, we are strictly an English speaking country. We have a french speaking province in Canada just a long days drive away and people, people I know at least, rarely go up there.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Ya, we are a pretty big country, and that's without counting Hawaii and Alaska.

But, more specifically, I remember going through Yellow Stone nat'l park and being impressed by how different certain area's were compared to others.

Bit of an offshoot of the above, I think French Canada is a underappreciated area in terms of cultural diversity. In Europe it's no big deal, and I guess it's changed in the US with the influx of spanish speaking immigrants in recent years, but aside from those immigrants, we are strictly an English speaking country. We have a french speaking province in Canada just a long days drive away and people, people I know at least, rarely go up there.

I know I'm in the minority of finding Montreal to be just meh. I've been a few times, I've always drove, it's an easy 6 hour drive but I really didn't care for it much and I'm in no rush to go back and probably will only ever end up back there if the Red Bulls play at Montreal in a playoff game.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Montreal is the first place I ever truly got drunk, just off of St Catherines street in 1989. That was some night. I went into a bar on St Denis Street to watch Montreal play Boston. At 8:00pm on the button the lights wents out in the bar and a spot light came on and topless girls came out. I was with my girlfriend now my wife. It's a story we still tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad