This Pittsburgh Penguins Act is Getting Old

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Trade Karlsson and rebuild honestly if I were them I'd trade em all except Crosby, Malkin, and Letang unless they want to be traded cause they do not want to end their career on a rebuild.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Trade Karlsson and rebuild honestly if I were them I'd trade em all except Crosby, Malkin, and Letang unless they want to be traded cause they do not want to end their career on a rebuild.
Dubas has done a bad job. The Pens are old and slow and clearly need to rebuild. Those old slow guys Karlsson for example) not only have no move clauses but their contracts aren’t tradable unless adding a lot of high picks. Sadly the Pens are stuck with what they have until those bad contracts run out.

Reactions: Nevins

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Dubas has done a bad job. The Pens are old and slow and clearly need to rebuild. Those old slow guys Karlsson for example) not only have no move clauses but their contracts aren’t tradable unless adding a lot of high picks. Sadly the Pens are stuck with what they have until those bad contracts run out.
Karlsson is definitely tradable as he would still have value across the league they would probably have to retain 2-3 million tho.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
As bad as they’ve been on pace is not something to bring up this early in the season. Kucherov is also on pace for 82 goals while Stamkos is on pace for like 15.
If they keep Sullivan all year, I see no reason to think it will improve.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Rather trade Letang than Karlsson. Either sell everyone - or get your head out of the sand, fire Sully, trade Jarry - and do whatever you have to to bring in a top 4 LD and a top 6 F.

Won't be enough to genuinely compete, but it'll be enough to push for the wild card.

Clearly next year has been his plan - just annoying to throw away every single season since 2021 by keeping a stale coach around who's somehow also in charge of all roster/GMing decisions. This roster is 80/20 Sullivan/Dubas.

Reactions: PaulD

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Screenshot_20241027-080331~2.png

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Bad GM - check
Coach with roster that doesn't fit his style trying to fit a square peg in a round hole - check
Terrible defense - check
Slow team speed - check
Old men - check

Bright spots? Malkin has played well.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Karlsson is definitely tradable as he would still have value across the league they would probably have to retain 2-3 million tho.
EK is looking really bad. He’s playing very soft. Hes got four more years at 11 million per. Even at 50% retention it’s a stretch to think any club will want him with how he’s playing. He’s coming 35!

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Spoken like someone who hasn't watched a Penguins game in years.

The defense this year is identical to the defense from last year, just with Joseph and Ruhwedel swapped out for Grzelcyk and St. Ivany. The defensemen on this team aren't good, but the team is horrendous defensively because of the system Sullivan is running, not because of the defense.

The team simply doesn't have the personnel to run the system Sullivan has been forcing this team to run for the past few years. Good coaches make systems that work with the players that they have, they don't just run the same system and then pout because it's not working due to the players not being good fits for it.
The fact that the team doesn't have the right players sounds more like a GM problem than a coach issue, especially since the coach had success with this system in the past.

When the team bleeds goals, adding a 11,5 milion dollars offensive d-man is not the solution, it is just adding to problem. And that is not on Sulivan. Not to mention that the Pens already had Letang, EK is redundant.

Reactions: wetcoast

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The fact that the team doesn't have the right players sounds more like a GM problem than a coach issue, especially since the coach had success with this system in the past.

When the team bleeds goals, adding a 11,5 milion dollars offensive d-man is not the solution, it is just adding to problem. And that is not on Sulivan. Not to mention that the Pens already had Letang, EK is redundant.

The team doesn’t have the right players because Jim Rutherford went insane and mortgaged the Penguins future to try to win in the 2018-2021 window. Kyle Dubas needs a time machine to undo the mistakes JR made to make Sullivan’s system work.

The system doesn’t work because:

1. The core is in their late 30s
2. They have no young players coming up
3. Any UFA additions Dubas has made (which have been bad on the overall) don’t make up for points 1 and 2

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad