This Pittsburgh Penguins Act is Getting Old

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
The best thing for the league now would be for Crosby and Ovechkin to pull a Kariya/Selanne and sign for cheap together with another team once both of their contracts are up. Seeing Crosby set up Ovechkin to pass Gretzky would be an all time NHL moment.

Reactions: robertocarlos

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Same issues have plagued the team for a handful of seasons now with pretty significant roster turnover but management won't question the coaching staff. Sully is burrowed into this org deeper than a tick.

Just trade Sid to Colorado at this point.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
weird random fact: Those of you that own Jarry in fantasy may have already noticed, the second game after a shutout from Jarry is always a stinker.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Eventually every team comes back down to earth. It took a very long time but both Washington and Pittsburgh have done that and that's just the cycle of life. As elite players age out teams trade off younger assets to string out Stanley Cup hopes until the day that everything falls apart. The Pens won their Cups. Pens fans should have nothing to complain about.....it's just it's time to start over and it's probably going to take some time to rebuild to be even a pretender of a contender. Organizational development has taken a backseat for years to making one run after another. The Pens are going to have to build that back up.....the Caps have already started. It's not nice especially at the beginning after such a long run of success.....and it's not just about your coaches so much as what they have to work with.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Dubas should have started dismantling the team rather than bringing Karlsson in.

They missed the playoffs last season, and they weren't a Karlsson away from turning into a legitimate contender again.

I wonder how Crosby feels about spending the final years of his career on a very mediocre team?

I know his favorite player growing up was Steve Yzerman, and he probably would like to replicate Yzerman's accomplishment of spending his entire career with one team.

But losing more than winning can't feel too good when you are as much of a competitor and gamer as Crosby is.

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Dubas should have started dismantling the team rather than bringing Karlsson in.

They missed the playoffs last season, and they weren't a Karlsson away from turning into a legitimate contender again.

I wonder how Crosby feels about spending the final years of his career on a very mediocre team?

I know his favorite player growing up was Steve Yzerman, and he probably would like to replicate Yzerman's accomplishment of spending his entire career with one team.

But losing more than winning can't feel too good when you are as much of a competitor and gamer as Crosby is.
Dismantling the team would certainly help them win more.

Reactions: Gurglesons

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Dismantling the team would certainly help them win more.
Not in the short term, but it would help in the long term.

Imagine getting something for Crosby, Malkin, and Letang rather than allowing them to retire and get nothing for them?

There comes a time when a team sometimes has to go through some short-term pain in order to achieve long-term success.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Would be fun watching sidney on a cup contender his last couple seasons. Imagine him going to edmonton or Colorado.

Would be fun if

Ovi - sid - mcdavid

• Love
Reactions: SaltNPeca

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

I honestly don't think Kyle did a bad job last summer, he got rid of a lot of dead wait and stupid moves that Hextall had made. He did the best he could bringing in Karlsson and Smith. But again under this dinosaur coach of ours, nothing is working, going on 4 years now and nothing is getting done.

I do believe KD when hired was told try to shake things up and go for it 1 more time, but clearly it's not working out. A retool/rebuild is inevitable now, start with moving Jake and see which forwards with NTC are willing to waive!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Dubas got the job knowing that FSG wanted nothing to do with a rebuild.

What's weird is they are trying to rebuild but on the fly which is going to put them in the worst position possible..

You’d figure a loss to Chicago tomorrow night and that’s it for Sullivan?

God, that would rock.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The best thing for the league now would be for Crosby and Ovechkin to pull a Kariya/Selanne and sign for cheap together with another team once both of their contracts are up. Seeing Crosby set up Ovechkin to pass Gretzky would be an all time NHL moment.

They both sign cheap 1 year deals to play on a line with McDavid in Toronto

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
They really needed to recognize that their rebuild phase should already be started. But they have new ownership and a grateful fan base who both want them to try to stay competitive as long as Crosby is there.

I never really understood the view that Smith was going to help improve the team, because he replaced Zucker. It’s more of a lateral move than an improvement.

Crosby is still great, but not capable of taking over games the way he used to.

No one should be surprised that Karlsson is more the player he was for the 4 years from 2018-2022 and not the player he was in 2022-23.

A coaching change isn’t going to fix the roster issues and, whatever Sullivan’s flaws, it’s the roster that’s the problem.
They have fearful ownership who is afraid of the fanbase fleeing once they enter rebuild. Like last time.

Reactions: Laus723

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
You’d figure a loss to Chicago tomorrow night and that’s it for Sullivan?
Chicago is in absolute shambles at the moment, there’s almost 0 chance they lose to them. I know it’s popular to shit on them because of their recent play, but I think they’ll come out hard tomorrow to snap the 3 game losing streak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad