GDT: This is where it gets better, right?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Failed deadline or not the front office put tremendous pressure on themselves this offseason. Continiuing to push off needs for the ideal player or deal is dangerous.
And it ain’t really looking like a great off-season to go big game hunting.

Reactions: Sigurd

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
@Boom Boom Apathy do you know of or is there an easy way to compare how streaky the Hurricanes are vs other top teams. Like the Hurricanes have:
5 x 1
4 x 1
Just started a 3 game.
2 x 4
Losing streaks.

Compare that to NJ
6 x 1
3 x 1
2 x 3

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
@Boom Boom Apathy do you know of or is there an easy way to compare how streaky the Hurricanes are vs other top teams. Like the Hurricanes have:
5 x 1
4 x 1
Just started a 3 game.
2 x 4
Losing streaks.

Compare that to NJ
6 x 1
3 x 1
2 x 3
I'm not clear what you are asking in this post. what do you mean by 5x1 for instance?

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I'm not clear what you are asking in this post. what do you mean by 5x1 for instance?
They’ve lost 5 in a row one time, four in a row one time…

Counting OT or SO losses as well, in other words a red in the win/loss column. Basically are the Hurricanes more likely to go o a four or five game skid vs other top teams.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
They’ve lost 5 in a row one time, four in a row one time…
Ah, got it. thanks. I don't know of a way to easily do that. I've found ESPN's "schedule" for each NHL team is a good way to see a whole season on 1 page for teams, but you still have to do the analysis yourself. It wouldn't take long to do 1-2 teams, but more than that would be time consuming.

Reactions: ndp

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
We had holes at the deadline.
Scorers x 2
Goalie (yea we needed a really gotone)

After we threw out a 6 piece offer for meier, there wasn’t anything that was going to solve our issues.

Maybe if we had top level goaltending, maybe we get a little more adventurous with deadline acquisitions for forwards. Since we don’t, it doesn’t make a lot sense pay too much for players who don’t really fix our issues.

Trade deadline is such a crap shoot anyways.

Beauviller, that cap throw in the Horvat deal, has scored more than horvat.

Vrana and Blais, cap dumps, have scored at a higher rate than Meier and at similar rates to the expensive to acquire Tarasenko and Kane.

Bertuzzi and the 1st round cost has netted a goal.

No one would have guessed all of that.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Ah, got it. thanks. I don't know of a way to easily do that. I've found ESPN's "schedule" for each NHL team is a good way to see a whole season on 1 page for teams, but you still have to do the analysis yourself. It wouldn't take long to do 1-2 teams, but more than that would be time consuming.
Looking at ESPN’s schedule tab on mobile is what got me thinking about it in the first place.

Looking at BOS, it’s really crazy how dominant of a regular season that team is having. Their longest loosing streak is 3, they lost 2 in a row one time. The rest of their losses are one offs.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Freddie made some big saves in the 3rd but unfortunately allowed some softies too. It continues the run where our goaltending can be great and shit in the same game. No consistency.
Tonight's game reminds me of the shootout loss to Boston recently. Andersen was awful towards the first half of the game, had some good saves later, and then ending poopy. We have little offense after our injuries, and our goaltending is probably the worst it's been this season the past couple of weeks. That's not a recipe for success for the playoffs. If they don't snap out of things real soon, they're gonna have a very short playoff run.
People didn't want to hear it at the time, but the outrage over the lack of movement at the deadline is absolutely justified.

Waddell f***ed up. The Borg got paralyzed into thinking their own assets are better than they are and we f***ed ourselves and now we have absolutely no hope of winning the Cup. I don't give a shit what Dundon says about contending, this front office needs to pull their head out of their ass and actually make the tough move to push us over the top.

Otherwise, we are going to be the paper tiger, regular season beast and postseason p***yes, until this core is gone.
I saw Matt Tkachuk had a hat trick and an assist tonight to have 38 goals this season, and 101 freaking points (last season he had 104 points) on top of being a physical player. Also, Meier had 2 goals tonight to reach a career high of 36 goals (only 56 points though). Imagine if we had gotten either and not lost both trade sweepstakes; especially Tkachuk. If the team is falling apart offensively without Svech, think of how much a difference a Tkachuk, Elias Pettersson, Keller, or Meier, etc. would make for this team.

What amazes me, is with all of the injuries (and now TT with an illness), we aren't willing to put one of the Wolves on the 4th line, and or even move Drury to at least the 3rd line. Drury should get promoted at least to the 3rd given his performance lately. Even the ESPN guys were complimenting our 4th line at several points, and noted that Rod was rewarding them and had seen what they had seen (good work).
Call someone up from Chicago that is deserving of a chance and give them a damn look what good is hoarding all these prospects if they aren’t ever gonna play in the nhl
Might as well. After all, someone else will get injured at our rate of bodies dropping out. Let's preempt getting a look at one of the AHL guys early.
A season ending injury to a core player is a fluke thing. It’s not practical to try to anticipate something like that.

I would have liked to see them do something. The collapse of the Staal line offensively was predictable and they didn’t have a meaningful backup plan for it. I’ll give them some flak for that. The top of the lineup injuries, that’s just bad luck.

Maybe the Canes will be the beneficiary of the poor injury luck of another team in a future year.
Given the fluky way Svech and Pacioretty were injured (from no contact), I don't think Carolina will have good luck the other way around with injuries.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Canes reddit has a post that says we lack offensive creativity and I think that person is correct. Rod has simplified our system down too much. We need to do more than just dump and chase.
I don't know if it's more about the players lacking offensive creativity or the coaches. Maybe a little bit of both but I'm starting to lean towards coaching. Now I am not saying that this means Rod and any of his coaches are bad coaches, just that they may be a little too rigid in their approach.

Lacking a true elite forward doesn't mean we should be the #1 dump and chase team in the league. Seattle's top scorer is a cast off d-man from St. Louis and then they mainly just have low end non-PPG 1st liners and a bunch of middle 6ers and somehow manage to be 4th in the league in GF/G with a powerplay somehow even worse than ours. And it's not just the division they play in that can describe the discrepancy between us and them.

Also, remember our D leads the league in goal scoring so being only average (literally 16th in GF/G) shows just how weak our forward goal scoring is. I don't think that's reflective of their talent. The top 6 should be scoring way more than they do, even with Svech was still in the lineup. I know this will probably lead to a conclusion about our forwards not being good as some of us think instead questioning our offensive strategy. But I think if you consider the former reasoning, you have to examine the potential latter reasoning as well. In reality it's probably a little of both like I said at the beginning. The worst part is that there's no easy fix.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
We’re a dump and chase team, and that usually creates lower levels of offense. Our style was perfect for Rod’s first team, that went far into the playoffs. Adding skill to that style was always going to be interesting, as we play a low skill game. The skill players have bought in so we’ve had some of the best offense you can get out of this system at times, when healthy and on a roll. This is also a system that should work in the playoffs, but hasn’t for us.

My personal opinion is we can lack offensive chemistry at times. I don’t know that we’ve ever had it very consistently, and we have let players go that had it and never really replaced it. Koko has improved, but outside of TT I haven’t seen him have great chemistry with anyone and he plays a lot. Jarvis is great but isn’t really clicking with anyone. Necas has had it at times with others. Aho is probably the only forward that has it with just about anyone.

The down low cycle passing game is a different kind of passing than off the rush as well.

When I watch Seattle I see chemistry. This group has it and yes they play a style that allows it more but they’ve have it regardless. The Devils have it.

Maybe if we weren’t so dump and chase we would have more but it’s too late now to change anything. We’re banged up, missing key players and we look pretty run down - but mostly we lack chemistry right now. I think we’ll get it back but I think we could use a break. We look tired.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Honestly it’s incredible we’ve had such a good regular season given the circumstances:

no Pacioretty basically all year
majorly inconsistent goaltending from three separate goaltenders
third line level production from both TT and Jarvis
JK taking forever to remotely look comfortable in a 2C role

half of your top 6 brutally underperforming should be much more of disaster than it has been

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Honestly it’s incredible we’ve had such a good regular season given the circumstances:

half of your top 6 brutally underperforming should be much more of disaster than it has been
That's the thing, your last two points could easily be attributed to being the #1 dump and chase team simply doesn't fit players like Turbo, Jarvis and KK as it can be attributed to that they're personally underperforming. All 3 of them don't seem to be the type that excel at going into corners or behind the net to dig out pucks. They're just not big enough and/or it's simply just not the type of game they excel at. Really only Martinook, Staal, and Svech are those type of guys. Nino was one. Ferland was one. Trocheck was OK at it despite his size. We simply don't have the horses to play like the early-mid 2010s Kings.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
How do you say beat anyone in a playoff series when they don't have great records against true contenders or even the better teams in the East? All of the "it's just one game" talk when they lost at the time does not look so great now when you look at the bigger picture re: the season.

2 of the summer pickups played what 6 games in total? How was that addressed? They never give any of the AHLers besides goalies any chance to get any experience that might come in handy now - especially when at the deadline you're laying an egg or paying lip service to the whole thing year after year. Excuses aplenty but other teams somehow manage to deliver.

I am frustrated but I think this is a bit like in life....it's not hard to be better than the bottom 50%. You just need to not do some really dumb stuff or show some level of competency and have a few things going for you. Basically don't have a drug habit, don't be an alcoholic, put in work, show up...stuff like that. That's what the Canes do as a hockey team.

Now when you want to move from the 50-60th percentile of anything to the 90th percentile....that is hard. It's hard to go from good to great and harder to go from great to top notch/champion caliber.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I am frustrated but I think this is a bit like in life....it's not hard to be better than the bottom 50%. You just need to not do some really dumb stuff or show some level of competency and have a few things going for you. Basically don't have a drug habit, don't be an alcoholic, put in work, show up...stuff like that. That's what the Canes do as a hockey team.

Now when you want to move from the 50-60th percentile of anything to the 90th percentile....that is hard. It's hard to go from good to great and harder to go from great to top notch/champion caliber.
Yeah, it's especially hard to go from the 50-60th percentile to the 90th percentile, and even more so to champion tier, when so many of your players underperform (in their playoff form early right now). Even more difficult when we can never beat other teams to get a super star or all star forward in a trade to push us "over the top" as the saying goes.

Injuries is the nail in the coffin.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Elite defense covers all those.

Thank you dmens.

Burns...congrats on setting a franchise record.
Skjei....you're a beauty...I'm jealous of your pretty hair and smile.
Peesh....we all with we were your 3rd brother with Bradlee
Slavin...atgtg
Chatmandu....you're like the damn tazmanian devil out there...keep it up.
Ghost....you haven't been invisible....and you're better than I expected
CDH...don't let no one tell you you ain't got nothin' in the tank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad