Post-Game Talk: This is the end

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
What a thoroughly disappointing no show from the top 6, in the biggest game of the year. To think they expended all that effort and work only to completely disappear like that... Draisaitl, McDavid, Nuge, Hyman, Bouchard... all with poor efforts today. They didn't deserve to win it tonight and that absolutely sucks to realize as a fan. They may well never reach this pinnacle again. Incredibly disappointing showing by the 'leadership' core.

Short turnaround so I think it's fine to post here but guys they need to divest themselves of / will lose through attrition in some form:

Mcleod, Ryan (retire), Perry (retire...), Foegele. I'd add Nurse but he stabilized with a f***ing rookie who showed more poise and hockey sense than a 10 year + vet like him. Besides which, no sane GM would take on his garbage $9.25 million contract. I'll be surprised if Henrique re-signs, he's lived in California for a number of years now and I can't imagine his family would want to move away from that. Ceci.. I don't know. He was actually ok tonight, and away from Nurse isn't a complete moron but still a very mediocre defender.

Just way too many questions still lingering. Still gutted knowing the top 6 went AWOL in the biggest moment.
I said I was going to bed but this stuff is just reaction stuff.

Booch made multiple spectacular plays at the point leaving Panthers in the dust and on one getting off a laser that hit the post. That was before Florida took lead. Imagine if that was the game and SC winning goal and would you be writing any of this?

It was a 2-1 loss in a game we were the better team, after being the much better team the previous 3 games.

Calling out leadership? c'mon.

So many people saying "we love this team" before game 7 and just as likely to say otherwise when we lose a narrow hard fought game in game 7. Team was good enough to get here. Inches away from getting it done, hockey is like that as we know.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I’m sure words will not make it any easier, I was rooting to see McDavid lift the cup. Best player in the league by a mile. Your fan base should be proud of the resilience your team showed to get back in this series. The problem (obviously) with going down 3-0 is it gives you no room for error going forward in the series. To force a game 7 was incredible to watch as a hockey fan.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
Disappointed, but proud of the team.
I'm sure whatever we're feeling is x100 for McDavid and Draisaitl to come so far just to come up a bit short. I think I feel more bad for them than from the disappointment as a fan. You can tell they felt they let the team down.

Reactions: TB12 and elmeroil

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Proud of the team's effort, proud of the resilience, proud of what this roster was able to do.

If only Ken Holland didn't waste so much money really, it's a shame

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I blame Boston Pizza and their Plan the Psrade Promotion. They angered the hockey gods
There are no Hockey Gods.

There is Bettman, the Board of Governors and Revenue Sharing... and a bunch of perennial suckers who buy into the sporting absurdity of it all.

Reactions: Lannes

sbhnur

Dec 26, 2020
Hats off for a great run from a flyers fan! You were so close, it really sucks to be second place... I feel for you guys. Dont give up and come back Oilers!

I think Drai's injury really cost them the cup, he couldn't shoot like he used to, very unfortunate.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Tough loss guys. I was really pulling hard for the Oilers so the nonsense about him "not getting it done" can finally be put to rest. The people who say that are just clueless with their moronic takes. Seeing as my teams aren't likely to compete next year, I'll probably root for you guys again come playoff time. Buckle down and get McDavid his cup.

Side note... I'd be super interested to see a Nurse buyout happen just to go all in for the next two years. IIRC, it would free up a ton for two years before crippling the team for a bit.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
So apparently Ratf*** gave a shout out to his fans in Calgary after the game “you know I wouldn’t let Edmonton win” or some shit? I hope someone takes off his head next season. Piece of shit got carried to a Cup. He had a handful of decent games the entire run. Overrated trash tarnishing the Cup with his name

Two years of garbage like him, Bennett, Stone and Pieceofshitangelo (yeah I know his name was on before) getting a Cup makes my nausea for this league deepen

midnightcopper

Apr 28, 2021
What made this a bit harder to take than 2006, was that it seemed so many different fans seemed to be pulling for the Oil. Very disappointing end. I will never watch any part of ratboy and co. lifting the Cup. Just like I never could see a single Hurricane do the same. This is what I'm still feeling right now...

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I hope you guys can get a proper goalie if you’re in this situation again. As a Leafs fan it reminded me of Samsonov in game 7 letting in an absolute muffin that cost the game this year. Even though I’d take Skinner over Samsonov neither seems like the recipe to win. Skinner seems like a good dude but with even an average goalie I think McDavid would be holding the cup tonight.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I hope you guys can get a proper goalie if you’re in this situation again. As a Leafs fan it reminded me of Samsonov in game 7 letting in an absolute muffin that cost the game this year. Even though I’d take Skinner over Samsonov neither seems like the recipe to win. Skinner seems like a good dude but with even an average goalie I think McDavid would be holding the cup tonight.

I’m far from a Skinner fan but goaltender isn’t really the issue here. He was putrid against the Canucks (aside from game 6 and 7 after he had his little reset) but they seemed to be in his head. Otherwise he had a good playoffs. He was the MVP game 6 vs Dallas as well.

Tonight, they needed to score another goal to get it to OT. Depth did all the scoring the last two games. Took them 3 games to start elevating the puck and going blocker side vs Bob. Should have won one of those games instead of relying on the almost impossible feat of winning 4 in a row in a playoff series

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton

McDavid let down Skinner more than Skinner let down McDavid in game 7.

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Feel for you, you winn it next season. Amazing season. Fantastic box play also .

McDavid let down Skinner more than Skinner let down McDavid in game 7.
Skinner was a Wall. Florida had another Wall in Bob. first goal is nothing you can do about it. Second goal was maybe weak goaltending But overall very good keeper

Reactions: rec28 and TB12

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I’m far from a Skinner fan but goaltender isn’t really the issue here. He was putrid against the Canucks (aside from game 6 and 7 after he had his little reset) but they seemed to be in his head. Otherwise he had a good playoffs. He was the MVP game 6 vs Dallas as well.

Tonight, they needed to score another goal to get it to OT. Depth did all the scoring the last two games. Took them 3 games to start elevating the puck and going blocker side vs Bob. Should have won one of those games instead of relying on the almost impossible feat of winning 4 in a row in a playoff series
don’t you think his horrible play against the canucks dragged that series out beyond what it should have been thus exhausting the players more? And game 3 of this series? I’m sadly very familiar with the you need more than 1 goal to win a hockey game debate on goalie performance because of a similar game 7 in round one for the team I cheer for but the way I see it game 7s are supposed to usually be a low scoring affair and a high save percentage doesn’t excuse a back breaking soft goal in these kind of games like the 2nd goal he allowed last night.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
don’t you think his horrible play against the canucks dragged that series out beyond what it should have been thus exhausting the players more? And game 3 of this series? I’m sadly very familiar with the you need more than 1 goal to win a hockey game debate on goalie performance because of a similar game 7 in round one for the team I cheer for but the way I see it game 7s are supposed to usually be a low scoring affair and a high save percentage doesn’t excuse a back breaking soft goal in these kind of games like the 2nd goal he allowed last night.
Can’t expect to come in and win a game 7 in the finals 1-0 on a goal by Janmark. Big boys needed to get something done and didn’t. It’s that simple. Florida’s big boys did ours didn’t.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Can’t expect to come in and win a game 7 in the finals 1-0 on a goal by Janmark. Big boys needed to get something done and didn’t. It’s that simple. Florida’s big boys did ours didn’t.
I would honestly imagine a lot of game 7 games end up with production like that from bottom 6 players. both teams play very conservatively to avoid mistakes. without that 2nd goal maybe it’s game 7 OT which is anyone’s to take

Reactions: TB12

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I’m sure words will not make it any easier, I was rooting to see McDavid lift the cup. Best player in the league by a mile. Your fan base should be proud of the resilience your team showed to get back in this series. The problem (obviously) with going down 3-0 is it gives you no room for error going forward in the series. To force a game 7 was incredible to watch as a hockey fan.
Let's meet in the finals next year 🙂

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Congratulations HFOil. I've been a fan of another Canadian team since 2003 and in one postseason you've won as many playoff rounds as they have in that time frame. The Oilers deserve to be proud of a highly successful and exciting season

Reactions: sepHF and Oilhawks

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Good run. I'm optimistic for the future for sure. This isn't a cinderella decade of darkness 2006 situation. This team has all the skill to make it back to the finals very soon, especially under Knoblauch who in his tenue so far has looked like an amazing coach. There will be ups and downs but we got the best player on earth and another top 5 player. Lots of examples recently of good teams making it to the finals in back-to-back years or close. 23/24 panthers obviously, 21/22 Lightning. 16/17 pens, 10/13/15 Hawks, 12/14 Kings. 08/09 Pens. Vegas in 18/23. Oilers are right there. I think another year of Broberg and Holloway development will be great and Skinner since he was pulled/reset against Van looked really good too and shut a lot of people up about his ability to play in big games.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I am disappointed by the results, but I'm not mad at losing. However I am mad at the Florida fans in the arena booing McDavid winning the Conn Smythe. That's just being a sore winner. Bobrovsky wouldn't have won it because of the 3 games he let slide, and McDavid broke NHL Records. Florida, you need to be HUMBLE you won the cup. Not a bunch of hicks who can't respect what McDavid accomplished this year.

I'm avoiding Twitter like the plague until offseason. Thankfully, it's only 4 days away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad