Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

sauce88

Jul 6, 2011
I'd take Robert Thomas in a heart beat (#20). Aho (#34), JT Miller (#15), Forsberg (#11), Point (#79), Suzuki (#13), Larkin (#15), Nelson (#30).

And as I've shown, SC teams have often traded for centers.
Deady I'd love those guys too but that's only 8 players, all drafted by different teams (over a 14 year timeline), with a 90-95 percentile outcome for those particular players. Do you see why it's so hard to draft a player of that caliber in that range? It can be argued the Flyers already got theirs with Giroux, and now it's up to a hope and prayer that this team gets that lucky twice.

So now they are left to trading since bottoming out isn't an option. That brings another variety of problems, considering this management group has on the record stated they're not looking to win trades but want to execute fair trades. A fair trade for a top center would gut this team.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Deady I'd love those guys too but that's only 8 players, all drafted by different teams (over a 14 year timeline), with a 90-95 percentile outcome for those particular players. Do you see why it's so hard to draft a player of that caliber in that range? It can be argued the Flyers already got theirs with Giroux, and now it's up to a hope and prayer that this team gets that lucky twice.

So now they are left to trading since bottoming out isn't an option. That brings another variety of problems, considering this management group has on the record stated they're not looking to win trades but want to execute fair trades. A fair trade for a top center would gut this team.
If the team's plan to compete boils down to "maybe we'll get lucky and draft that top 6 center that magically appears every other year!", then maybe that's not a very good plan.

Like, could it work? Sure. There is a non-zero percent chance that happens. But also there is a non-zero percent chance players on other teams could all suffer career ending injuries at the same time, but having that be the team's plan for success sounds incredibly stupid.

sauce88

Jul 6, 2011
If the team's plan to compete boils down to "maybe we'll get lucky and draft that top 6 center that magically appears every other year!", then maybe that's not a very good plan.

Like, could it work? Sure. There is a non-zero percent chance that happens. But also there is a non-zero percent chance players on other teams could all suffer career ending injuries at the same time, but having that be the team's plan for success sounds incredibly stupid.
It's even worse, this team thinks it's owed some karmic balancing force by playing a season out the "right way" and they'll be rewarded.

volnoir

Nov 13, 2015
I'd take Robert Thomas in a heart beat (#20). Aho (#34), JT Miller (#15), Forsberg (#11), Point (#79), Suzuki (#13), Larkin (#15), Nelson (#30).

I'd rather just wait until next offseason and sign Crosby! ;)

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Better organization can do that. Flyers haven't shown they can. Flyers also do not have much to offer teams right now to acquire said center. The pieces they maybe can move they need or what's the point as then starting over so to speak.

The 2025 draft will solve the organizations woes.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Flyers don't need .....
Matvei looking over his shoulder all the time while playing.....
Morgan "
Tyson "
Brink "
Farabee "
York "
Drysdale "
T K "
Sanheim "

Nick D P-L-A-Y-S 💪

Thankfully he will play less this year than he played last year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

We could always tank and take a center with the #2 pick. Oh, been there and tried that?

• Haha
Reactions: Deadpool8812

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
We could always tank and take a center with the #2 pick. Oh, been there and tried that?
Very true. After all, the scouts wanted Makar. This might be your finest short story. Hat's off!

VEZ97W.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
has the flyers way and plan the last dozen years been successful in any way on the ice?
Which is why Hextall, Clarke and Holmgren don't run things anymore.

Flyers weren't going to tank, no one in their right mind thinks that's a possibility.
They are rebuilding, not the way people here want, but they do have a plan.

Whether it will work . . . but sucking for the next decade to get 6 top ten picks (NJ) and finishing behind a team just starting to rebuild is not part of it

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
It's even worse, this team thinks it's owed some karmic balancing force by playing a season out the "right way" and they'll be rewarded.
Even if they got lucky, and found a Giroux equivalent with a pick in the 12-16 range, it won’t be enough. The best the Flyers ever did with Giroux was the run to the final in 2010, and G was a 3rd line forward on that team. And, even assuming that Michkov can give you what Briere did in the 2010 playoffs, it still won’t be enough. Who will play the role of Pronger? Of Timonen? Of Carter, Richards, Gagne and Hartnell?

The Flyers need a 1C and very possibly a 2C as well. They need a first line LW and they badly need a 1D and probably a 2D as well. Do you really think they are landing these players picking 12-16th, let alone with the likely late 1st rounders from Edmonton and Colorado? This team needs top 10, hell top 5 picks, in the worst way. In today’s NHL, mediocrity is a death sentence and the Flyers are on life support.

Reactions: pit and Amorgus

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Which is why Hextall, Clarke and Holmgren don't run things anymore.

Flyers weren't going to tank, no one in their right mind thinks that's a possibility.
They are rebuilding, not the way people here want, but they do have a plan.

Whether it will work . . . but sucking for the next decade to get 6 top ten picks (NJ) and finishing behind a team just starting to rebuild is not part of it
1000007431.jpg

Even if they got lucky, and found a Giroux equivalent with a pick in the 12-16 range, it won’t be enough. The best the Flyers ever did with Giroux was the run to the final in 2010, and G was a 3rd line forward on that team. And, even assuming that Michkov can give you what Briere did in the 2010 playoffs, it still won’t be enough. Who will play the role of Pronger? Of Timonen? Of Carter, Richards, Gagne and Hartnell?

The Flyers need a 1C and very possibly a 2C as well. They need a first line LW and they badly need a 1D and probably a 2D as well. Do you really think they are landing these players picking 12-16th, let alone with the likely late 1st rounders from Edmonton and Colorado? This team needs top 10, hell top 5 picks, in the worst way. In today’s NHL, mediocrity is a death sentence and the Flyers are on life support.
They probably also need a #1 goalie in addition to all the things you listed.

I'm sure they'll find those being a cap maxed team picking 14th every draft. This doesn't at all sound like every slop Flyers team we've seen since Lindros.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I think I am the common denominator in all this...I like the Flyers...they are bad and have no future plan..I like Liverpool..not bad but have no future plan....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Amorgus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They made the playoffs 4 times in 11 years and 2nd rd once.

Toronto made the playoffs 1 in 11 years, got all those picks, made the playoffs 8 years in a row, and got to the 2nd rd once.

Meanwhile, Boston missed the playoffs twice, traded Wheeler and Seguin for peanuts, made the POs 7 times in a row, won a Cup, lost a Cup, then missed the POs twice, went to the POs 8 more years in a row and lost in the Finals.

When did they tank?

Maybe it's less about "tanking" or "rebuilding" than having a competent FO that can make either strategy work?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
They made the playoffs 4 times in 11 years and 2nd rd once.

Toronto made the playoffs 1 in 11 years, got all those picks, made the playoffs 8 years in a row, and got to the 2nd rd once.

Meanwhile, Boston missed the playoffs twice, traded Wheeler and Seguin for peanuts, made the POs 7 times in a row, won a Cup, lost a Cup, then missed the POs twice, went to the POs 8 more years in a row and lost in the Finals.

When did they tank?

Maybe it's less about "tanking" or "rebuilding" than having a competent FO that can make either strategy work?
Making the playoffs isn't an accomplishment when you get ran over every time you make it and the Flyers don't have a competent FO so... not sure what the point is.

That's the entire boards' stance. The Flyers don't have a competent FO so they can't make this path work. They're going to fail in spectacular fashion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad