Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
They made the playoffs 4 times in 11 years and 2nd rd once.

Toronto made the playoffs 1 in 11 years, got all those picks, made the playoffs 8 years in a row, and got to the 2nd rd once.

Meanwhile, Boston missed the playoffs twice, traded Wheeler and Seguin for peanuts, made the POs 7 times in a row, won a Cup, lost a Cup, then missed the POs twice, went to the POs 8 more years in a row and lost in the Finals.

When did they tank?

Maybe it's less about "tanking" or "rebuilding" than having a competent FO that can make either strategy work?
"Just be Boston" yeah man great idea just draft a generational Selke player and you too can win a cup. Why didn't I think of that? Every team that drafts 14th year in year out drafts their own Bergeron!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'd take Robert Thomas in a heart beat (#20). Aho (#34), JT Miller (#15), Forsberg (#11), Point (#79), Suzuki (#13), Larkin (#15), Nelson (#30).

And as I've shown, SC teams have often traded for centers.

The Flyers don't draft those players anymore. Why go BPA with a team lacking in talent when you can go for fit, despite everything being a need?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Which is why Hextall, Clarke and Holmgren don't run things anymore.

Flyers weren't going to tank, no one in their right mind thinks that's a possibility.
They are rebuilding, not the way people here want, but they do have a plan.

Whether it will work . . . but sucking for the next decade to get 6 top ten picks (NJ) and finishing behind a team just starting to rebuild is not part of it

They aren't rebuilding. Jones admitted that was a lie to sell tickets.

They have no plan. They're wandering aimlessly.

Oh, and nothing about how they do business has changed. It's all the same as it's ever been.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
Even if they got lucky, and found a Giroux equivalent with a pick in the 12-16 range, it won’t be enough. The best the Flyers ever did with Giroux was the run to the final in 2010, and G was a 3rd line forward on that team. And, even assuming that Michkov can give you what Briere did in the 2010 playoffs, it still won’t be enough. Who will play the role of Pronger? Of Timonen? Of Carter, Richards, Gagne and Hartnell?

The Flyers need a 1C and very possibly a 2C as well. They need a first line LW and they badly need a 1D and probably a 2D as well. Do you really think they are landing these players picking 12-16th, let alone with the likely late 1st rounders from Edmonton and Colorado? This team needs top 10, hell top 5 picks, in the worst way. In today’s NHL, mediocrity is a death sentence and the Flyers are on life support.
Funny how the last time the Flyers were good it was cause of a core of players they drafted, and then trading and signing actually good players (and then the flyers couldnt help themselves but to sign Jody Shelley the season after going to the SC :help:)

So all the Flyers need to do is draft their Richards/Carter in this upcoming draft, hope that the players from the last couple drafts can develop into good supporting players, acquire some top talent Dmen (gonna be pricey since they dont draft for this), annnnnnnnnddddd dump all the dead weight from the roster. If the Flyers can do all of this, and its looking highly unlikely, then maybe they can have a SC contender. Cue the mediocrity

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And if they can't do it, what makes you think a tank won't end up as Buffalo south?
Or at best Toronto south, a door prize each post-season?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
And if they can't do it, what makes you think a tank won't end up as Buffalo south?

They are already Buffalo South and have been for a decade. Name a punchline team; the Flyers are already the same or worse, and for some reason you are afraid to see them do something to change that because it might end with them being what they already are.

Or you pretend to be, to defend the total refusal of Flyers management to do the obvious thing needed to maybe break the cycle.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They made the playoffs 4 times in 11 years and 2nd rd once.

Toronto made the playoffs 1 in 11 years, got all those picks, made the playoffs 8 years in a row, and got to the 2nd rd once.

Meanwhile, Boston missed the playoffs twice, traded Wheeler and Seguin for peanuts, made the POs 7 times in a row, won a Cup, lost a Cup, then missed the POs twice, went to the POs 8 more years in a row and lost in the Finals.

When did they tank?

Maybe it's less about "tanking" or "rebuilding" than having a competent FO that can make either strategy work?

You’ve successfully argued against yourself. What makes one think they won’t be Buffalo south? Well, if they have smart people, they won’t. Very simple. Frankly, you don’t even need objectively smart people to do that, it doesn’t take a genius to even be decent, we’ve had two GMs who reached the Cup Final in the past four years leave their teams. Buffalo has the longest playoff drought in the history of the league. The levels of incompetence that takes is legendary. They tried every which way to get out of it and cannot. Personally, I hope it goes on much longer. But to use them as the example when they’re such an extreme example is beyond bad faith at this point.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
You’ve successfully argued against yourself. What makes one think they won’t be Buffalo south? Well, if they have smart people, they won’t. Very simple. Frankly, you don’t even need objectively smart people to do that, it doesn’t take a genius to even be decent, we’ve had two GMs who reached the Cup Final in the past four years leave their teams. Buffalo has the longest playoff drought in the history of the league. The levels of incompetence that takes is legendary. They tried every which way to get out of it and cannot. Personally, I hope it goes on much longer. But to use them as the example when they’re such an extreme example is beyond bad faith at this point.
Buffalo might actually make the playoffs this year. So even Sabres fans will soon be saying, “hey, it could be worse, we could be the Flyers”

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Which is why Hextall, Clarke and Holmgren don't run things anymore.

Flyers weren't going to tank, no one in their right mind thinks that's a possibility.
They are rebuilding, not the way people here want, but they do have a plan.

Whether it will work . . . but sucking for the next decade to get 6 top ten picks (NJ) and finishing behind a team just starting to rebuild is not part of it
You forgot to add Chuck. Clarke has been gone longer than a dozen years. Well Danny is on his way to suckness.

They are not rebuilding. They are straddling the fence. With Hope and a lot of ifs being the main driver. What they are doing is having a play it by ear approach. See what happens then go from there. There is no real clear-cut plan. Please do not give me the draft/develop mantra as that is what all teams do and part of all teams philosophy.

I pray they are somehow sitting in the 7th spot come the deadline. They will not miss that opportunity to try to add to get that playoff revenue. Plus they the owe the "room" to see if they can win with this group is has been said.

Agree it is not but they suck anyway. The Flyers will never comprehend their way doesn't work. Despite all the evidence right in front of them.

Even if they got lucky, and found a Giroux equivalent with a pick in the 12-16 range, it won’t be enough. The best the Flyers ever did with Giroux was the run to the final in 2010, and G was a 3rd line forward on that team. And, even assuming that Michkov can give you what Briere did in the 2010 playoffs, it still won’t be enough. Who will play the role of Pronger? Of Timonen? Of Carter, Richards, Gagne and Hartnell?

The Flyers need a 1C and very possibly a 2C as well. They need a first line LW and they badly need a 1D and probably a 2D as well. Do you really think they are landing these players picking 12-16th, let alone with the likely late 1st rounders from Edmonton and Colorado? This team needs top 10, hell top 5 picks, in the worst way. In today’s NHL, mediocrity is a death sentence and the Flyers are on life support.
They also need a goalie.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Love when people mention Buffalo. There are 2 phases to tanking. Buffalo aced the 1st phase by putting themselves in the best position to draft high. To get the talent.

Where they failed was having piss poor owners, management, and coaches. That part should sound familiar to Flyers fans.

Why not mention the other teams who have been successful choosing the route Buffalo has taken?

By the way I would take Buffalo's roster and prospects over the Flyers all day.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Love when people mention Buffalo. There are 2 phases to tanking. Buffalo aced the 1st phase by putting themselves in the best position to draft high. To get the talent.

Where they failed was having piss poor owners, management, and coaches. That part should sound familiar to Flyers fans.

Why not mention the other teams who have been successful choosing the route Buffalo has taken?

Yup, I’d trade our entire roster straight up for Dahlin.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
It says a ton about the front office that’s filled with nepotism at every step that just happens to also be incompetent.

That thing this entire board has complained about for going on a decade.

Burn it all down.

I read this thread and can’t help but think once again that Jeffrey Lurie is the most underappreciated person in Philadelphia sports. It remains incredibly weird to me that this is an issue for people who remember Braman and even Tose.

I hope the Eagles don’t have this absurd attachment to anything he touched when he finally goes. Our winter sanity can’t rest on Josh Harris.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

Just curious, which teams would you say have deliberately chosen the Buffalo route?

I can think of Toronto and Chicago. The NYR also to some extent.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Just curious, which teams would you say have deliberately chosen the Buffalo route?

I can think of Toronto and Chicago. The NYR also to some extent.

This is a complicated topic because you have to pick apart cases like the mid-aughts Penguins. You also have to draw the lines between when a team stopped. That’s almost never clear. Does Buffalo take a different course if they get McDavid instead of Eichel?

Penguins and Devils both purposely tanked for Lemieux. There’s no debate there.

The Leafs tanked for Matthews as you said.

The Senators (probably) tanked for Daigle. This is the toughest one to prove, but there was an official investigation and everything. This is part of why there’s a draft lottery.

The Coyotes tanked.

The Nordiques tanked.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I read this thread and can’t help but think once again that Jeffrey Lurie is the most underappreciated person in Philadelphia sports. It remains incredibly weird to me that this is an issue for people who remember Braman and even Tose.

I hope the Eagles don’t have this absurd attachment to anything he touched when he finally goes. Our winter sanity can’t rest on Josh Harris.
Howie.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I am reminded of the section of DC fans (which steadily shrank over time) who would vehemently argue over every proposed change to coaching, management, and even ownership, out of fear of becoming the Browns.

Ok??? Look around, they're called Football Team, and they are in the same joke category as the Browns already. What does it matter to try anything different??

Reactions: Amorgus and BiggE

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
"Just be Boston" yeah man great idea just draft a generational Selke player and you too can win a cup. Why didn't I think of that? Every team that drafts 14th year in year out drafts their own Bergeron!
And Boston only got one Cup out of Bergeron and only because they also had an all time great goaltending performance and one of the best ever free agent signings in Chara.

If Luchanko is the next Bergeron, the Flyers will still not win a Cup.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
This is a complicated topic because you have to pick apart cases like the mid-aughts Penguins. You also have to draw the lines between when a team stopped. That’s almost never clear. Does Buffalo take a different course if they get McDavid instead of Eichel?

Penguins and Devils both purposely tanked for Lemieux. There’s no debate there.

The Leafs tanked for Matthews as you said.

The Senators (probably) tanked for Daigle. This is the toughest one to prove, but there was an official investigation and everything. This is part of why there’s a draft lottery.

The Coyotes tanked.

The Nordiques tanked.
weird you didnt mention Chi. tanking multi years and basicly still doing it..

reaping the likes of Bedard and now Levshunov..

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Hopefully, Howie does a good job grooming his son.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad