Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
We have two plus years worth of data that suggests Cates is a porous offensive player both in underlying impacts & actual results. He’s 25-26 years old now & doesn’t have a previous track record of being some noteworthy offensive producer. So probably safe to say it what it is on that front.

He’s a fine depth player ultimately even with that said & as of now he’s cheap labor on his current deal (he should probably still be cheap the next one too).

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Cates is nothing but a vanilla cone.

Only the Flyers pretend he’s something more.

Andreas Nodl memories return.
Nodl blew, Cates has a role.

We have two plus years worth of data that suggests Cates is a porous offensive player both in underlying impacts & actual results. He’s 25-26 years old now & doesn’t have a previous track record of being some noteworthy offensive producer. So probably safe to say it what it is on that front.

He’s a fine depth player ultimately even with that said & as of now he’s cheap labor on his current deal (he should probably still be cheap the next one too).
Laughton 5 year special for 3 per?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
How much you score depends on your usage, and who you play with.

Here's who Cates played with last year:
Hathaway 264
Poehling 246
Farabee 153
Brink 134

Put him on a top 6 line with say Frost and TK or Couts and Michkov and he'll score a lot more.
Not because he'd suddenly become a great offensive player, but b/c he'd do the dirty work to set up better offensive players - we saw that with Lindblom before he got cancer.

Now the problem with Cates at center is he lacks playmaking skills, so he kills a line offensively, at LW, that's not his responsibility. So he can center a shutdown line with a lead in the 3rd period, but not someone you want in the role on a regular basis.

With Laughton, he has decent offensive skills but can't handle the defensive responsibilities of center.

He won't. They tried the "make him 2C" thing and he dragged the line down. The offense isn't there.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Cates fits into my theme of "won't be of utility when Michkov is 25 so trade him for things that might be."

And if the Flyers don't think that they can manage to find and develop another Cates so they need to hold onto him, then that thoroughly shoots down the notion that they don't have huge issues with drafting/scouting/development. Hell, that circles back around to strafe the flaming wreckage of the notion for good measure.

Edit: or if they think they have to hold on to these players because they think they're contending right now, which they probably do think, everyone currently employed by the team should be immediately fired

Last edited:

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Cates fits into my theme of "won't be of utility when Michkov is 25 so trade him for things that might be."

And if the Flyers don't think that they can manage to find and develop another Cates so they need to hold onto him, then that thoroughly shoots down the notion that they don't have huge issues with drafting/scouting/development. Hell, that circles back around to strafe the flaming wreckage of the notion for good measure.

Edit: or if they think they have to hold on to these players because they think they're contending right now, which they probably do think, everyone currently employed by the team should be immediately fired
Cates will be the new Laughton, where they will hold onto him for too long for culture reasons, tank his value, and then trade him for a 4th rounder when it's too late to get good value for him

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Cates will be the new Laughton, where they will hold onto him for too long for culture reasons, tank his value, and then trade him for a 4th rounder when it's too late to get good value for him
We’ll be lucky if they go on to trade Laughton for a 4th. Knowing the idiots who run the Flyers, I fully expect them to extend Laughton for 3 or 4 more years.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I have to object to quite a bit of the framing around Foerster. I keep seeing him mentioned as a defensive archetype and/or specifically pointing to his Shot as a super meaningful data point. Those both miss the foerster for the trees.

I was waiting for @BernieParent to step in and fix that for you but since he didn't I will have to.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Man, sure would be nice to have the cap space available to take on a bad contract for assets for a year...
I'm glad Briere took on bad contracts to get more value in trades, so "beggars shouldn't be choosers" and all.

But I still think Briere didn't get enough value for the contracts he took back. Especially Peterson, if Kolosov doesn't come back you can chalk that up as one of the reasons he left.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm glad Briere took on bad contracts to get more value in trades, so "beggars shouldn't be choosers" and all.

But I still think Briere didn't get enough value for the contracts he took back. Especially Peterson, if Kolosov doesn't come back you can chalk that up as one of the reasons he left.

My bigger complaint here isn't the bad contracts he took back in the deals he did make; it's the deals he didn't make to move additional salary off the roster. Ceci makes only slightly more than Laughton; move Laughton for picks and we could potentially have been the beneficiary there instead. Trade Konecny, and we have a haul coming in and can still add a random one year bad contract on top.

It's just poor asset management all the way down.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
We’ll be lucky if they go on to trade Laughton for a 4th. Knowing the idiots who run the Flyers, I fully expect them to extend Laughton for 3 or 4 more years.
The Flyers will extend Laughton because Torts loves him. Several months later Torts will be fired and the new coach will healthy scratch Laughton for several weeks. Laughton will ask for a trade and the Flyers will send him to Utah along with a second round pick for future considerations

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
IMO, and I may be wrong, but I'd put this one on Lappy more than Briere. He blew it with the way that he chose to deal with a talented goalie during a weak drive to make the POs in the AHL. For that alone, he should be canned. If there's an issue with Briere here, it should be for allowing Laperierre to be involved at LHV.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
IMO, and I may be wrong, but I'd put this one on Lappy more than Briere. He blew it with the way that he chose to deal with a talented goalie during a weak drive to make the POs in the AHL. For that alone, he should be canned. If there's an issue with Briere here, it should be for allowing Laperierre to be involved at LHV.
You're right that Lappy should take a lot of the blame here, but Briere also just resigned Lappy so it's not like you can really absolve Briere in any way.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Has he tried making 17 of them?
reference.gif

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
I think the Flyers should make a play for Askarov. Risky? Maybe... but I'd feel a lot better about the trajectory of the rebuild if they add another prospect with an elite ceiling to the flyers org. Could he bust? Sure, but I doubt he will. Also, adding young Blue Chip prospects with elite Ceilings is what rebuilding is all about. Set up the future.

I suppose it depends on the ask, but if it can be done do it

Reactions: Rebels57

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I think the Flyers should make a play for Askarov. Risky? Maybe... but I'd feel a lot better about the trajectory of the rebuild if they add another prospect with an elite ceiling to the flyers org. Could he bust? Sure, but I doubt he will. Also, adding young Blue Chip prospects with elite Ceilings is what rebuilding is all about. Set up the future.

I suppose it depends on the ask, but if it can be done do it
Flyers are not rebuilding. Apparently Nashville is asking for a lot. If he is as good as people think he will stunt the rebuild. Is now the best time to acquire a blue chip NHL ready goalie prospect?

Though they are not rebuilding so it makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad