Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 3 - Flyers Rumors and Media Mentions: Never Ending Circles

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Using the fanbase as a reason for the continued failed strategies is such an easy out. For the front office, and Comcast.

I don’t for a second believe that even the Bully crowd would be upset with a rebuild if it got them some actual star pieces at the end of it. Hell, you can still be a gritty team - and lose. They showed that during the Torts era, but when you so adamantly hang on to talent in fear of making a bad deal, or obsession with culture… you lose the big picture that your draft day position is what actually matters most.

Blaming the fanbase, or using them as justification for the continued bullshit we see is just an easy way for people to not face accountability. To not be fired. To not lose their grip on the direction of the franchise.

“We had to do it this way, it’s Philadelphia”

Bullshit

sregdoor

Jun 22, 2018
The Athletic is reporting that Torey Krug will undergo ankle surgery which will sideline him indefinitely including the entire 24-25 season. Thank the hockey gods he blocked the trade to the Flyers last summer. Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make and in this case the one you can't make.

Reactions: Hextallent63

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Athletic is reporting that Torey Krug will undergo ankle surgery which will sideline him indefinitely including the entire 24-25 season. Thank the hockey gods he blocked the trade to the Flyers last summer. Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make and in this case the one you can't make.
They would have roomed him with Ellis. Lot's of LTIR room!

Sanheim responded well to the trade rumors, raised his game a tier and makes that contract look pretty good now.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Apparently Laine rejected a trade to the Flyers (for Ryan Johansen) before he was traded to the Canadiens.

Max Truman with Georges Laraque, around the 15/16 minute mark:

I don't speak French -- can you add anything else to the conversation? I can't imagine that Laine would only get for Johansen.

I would almost think that Johansen was viewed more of a negative asset and the Flyers were willing to pay to get rid of him -- pure assumption though.

Also, another right winder -- wonder if Brink+ would have been going the other way. We know they are not moving TK or Tippett (although Tip did play left and right side last year), and they would be stupid to move Foerster for Laine.

• Love
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Laine has two years left at $8,700,000 so I can't imagine his value was high after the season he just had.

Montreal also got a 2026 2nd, in exchange for Jordan Harris.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I don't speak French -- can you add anything else to the conversation? I can't imagine that Laine would only get for Johansen.

I would almost think that Johansen was viewed more of a negative asset and the Flyers were willing to pay to get rid of him -- pure assumption though.

Also, another right winder -- wonder if Brink+ would have been going the other way. We know they are not moving TK or Tippett (although Tip did play left and right side last year), and they would be stupid to move Foerster for Laine.

He said that a few hours before the trade to Montreal, there was a deal in place between the Flyers and Jackets - Laine to the Flyers, Johansen to the Jackets. He didn't mention any extra parts to the deal, and said that it fell apart after Laine rejected the trade, as per a solid source for the Flyers.

He also mentioned that it appears Laine's value was not very high if the Jackets were willing to accept Johansen in return.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
My only hope is, the Flyers do so f***ing bad this coming year that Torts HAS to be fired. They have to know this whole "culture" change thing with Torts failed. They are trying any way they can right now to dumping the "Rebuilding" moniker implying that they will compete. And if their thought is is that they don't have the right young talent or the right FAs, then why the f*** did you spend all of this money on worthless players? You're right up at the cap and you're full of barely 3rd line and barely 4th line guys with very few actual top players. Goalies are going to get eaten up and spit out by other teams this year. Fedotov will be a disaster and Ersson will be exposed the more he plays.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
He said that a few hours before the trade to Montreal, there was a deal in place between the Flyers and Jackets - Laine to the Flyers, Johansen to the Jackets. He didn't mention any extra parts to the deal, and said that it fell apart after Laine rejected the trade, as per a solid source for the Flyers.

He also mentioned that it appears Laine's value was not very high if the Jackets were willing to accept Johansen in return.
Interesting -- I can see that Laine wasn't viewed very high, but Johansen alone is certainly less than what they got for him from Montreal. Hell, even Johansen and a future 2nd is even less than what got. At this point, Harris is a better player, younger, and you've got more control. He's just a better asset. It's just hard for me to believe that they would have settled for a worse asset.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
My only hope is, the Flyers do so f***ing bad this coming year that Torts HAS to be fired. They have to know this whole "culture" change thing with Torts failed. They are trying any way they can right now to dumping the "Rebuilding" moniker implying that they will compete. And if their thought is is that they don't have the right young talent or the right FAs, then why the f*** did you spend all of this money on worthless players? You're right up at the cap and you're full of barely 3rd line and barely 4th line guys with very few actual top players. Goalies are going to get eaten up and spit out by other teams this year. Fedotov will be a disaster and Ersson will be exposed the more he plays.
Disagree as it is all they talk about. IMO they truly think they can "compete" for a playoff spot. That is their version of staying in the race. The CO-GM himself said that the playoffs are the goal.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I was told that not only do players want to come here, they want to be treated like shit by Tortorella because it is a badge of honor.

Sometimes I think it is detrimental to have the coach voted Most Hated by NHL players.

Quiet interesting detail in all of this, Laine only had a 10-team NTC, so his relationship with Torts was such that he explicitly retained control over whether they'd be paired together again in submitting his list.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Interesting -- I can see that Laine wasn't viewed very high, but Johansen alone is certainly less than what they got for him from Montreal. Hell, even Johansen and a future 2nd is even less than what got. At this point, Harris is a better player, younger, and you've got more control. He's just a better asset. It's just hard for me to believe that they would have settled for a worse asset.

Agreed. It's possible there was more to the deal, but the source just didn't have that information.

In any case, it does show the Flyers are trying to find and acquire talent. I'm sure Laine would have done well, especially if paired on a line with Michkov. It's also likely that Tortorella would not have liked Laine the player.

It's definitely concerning that some players are blocking trades to come to Philly. On the one hand, I'm not sad to see some malcontents gone (Hayes, Provy, DeAngelo). On the other, a coach has to be able to work with a wide range of personalities and skillsets, and understand how best to help them achieve their potential. That kind of coach would attract players.

I do think Torts is able to elevate the team play in some ways, but for all the good he does, he also has a short fuse and makes some very questionable (sometimes downright dickish) decisions.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Agreed. It's possible there was more to the deal, but the source just didn't have that information.

In any case, it does show the Flyers are trying to find and acquire talent. I'm sure Laine would have done well, especially if paired on a line with Michkov. It's also likely that Tortorella would not have liked Laine the player.

It's definitely concerning that some players are blocking trades to come to Philly. On the one hand, I'm not sad to see some malcontents gone (Hayes, Provy, DeAngelo). On the other, a coach has to be able to work with a wide range of personalities and skillsets, and understand how best to help them achieve their potential. That kind of coach would attract players.

I do think Torts is able to elevate the team play in some ways, but for all the good he does, he also has a short fuse and makes some very questionable (sometimes downright dickish) decisions.
Makes me wonder if both CO-GM's are on the same page..

Probably wanted to trey Laine at center.

How were they malcontents?

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

Good post. I can't see Tortorella going along with a tank season. He will push all the buttons that he can to make the POs. This is his legacy job which makes all of the difference in the world to him.
Unless DB makes significant moves to upgrade this roster, the club isn't going anywhere this upcoming season. Last season was the one where the breaks went the right way for the Flyers to have a shot at the POs. NJ had a run of terrible injuries; Buffalo had its usual coaching issues; the Flyers weren't taken seriously by opponents until it mattered and then they did, with the Flyers getting bombed and so forth.
None of that will help them this season and they'll easily be in the bottom ten teams of the League. When Torts sees this happening, he will flip out (dickish decisions) and it will be time for him to go. The only question will be when-Thanksgiving; New Years; AS game; TDL; or end of the season? DB needs to be aware that the longer he keeps Tortorella around, the more damage he does to the players. No player needs to be put through the head games that Tortorella plays on them when he gets on a roll.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Johansen is less than what they got from the Habs but remember, CBJ added a 2nd round pick in 2026, which will probably be a very high 2nd round pick, so not that surprising that Montreal's player being offered was better than Johansen (the Habs also needed to trade a left D as they have a ton of those).

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Makes me wonder if both CO-GM's are on the same page..

Probably wanted to trey Laine at center.

How were they malcontents?

Just based on what I've read over the years, I seem to recall that Hayes and DeAngelo did not get along with Torts, and Provy had become polarizing to the other players. So, malcontent in that sense - they no longer really wanted to be here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad