Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid 2, More Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions: Say It Like You Mean It

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You gonna keep him there for 3 years?

If I can't foist him off on someone else down the line, so be it. If Boston's retaining half of what's left, I'm OK keeping a backup goalie on $1.5M NHL cap hit in Allentown for a while, or attaching a 5th or something to make the problem go away. It may not be the nicest thing to do, but job 1 is to build a winning team, not run a country club for broken down quad-A types.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If I can't foist him off on someone else down the line, so be it. If Boston's retaining half of what's left, I'm OK keeping a backup goalie on $1.5M NHL cap hit in Allentown for a while, or attaching a 5th or something to make the problem go away. It may not be the nicest thing to do, but job 1 is to build a winning team, not run a country club for broken down quad-A types.
That’s precisely what you’re doing by acquiring him.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

mwit20

Aug 19, 2018
Friedman on 32 thoughts this AM:

-Wonders what adding Michkov will mean for the rebuild. Compares the situation to Panarin joining the Rangers
-Said he’s not sure the deal with Ottawa still happens
-Mentions talks with Konecny are “slower than expected.” Said he isn’t sure what that will mean in regard to whether a deal can be agreed upon.
-Marek mentioned the teams cap situation as an obstacle to any moves made this week

mwit20

Aug 19, 2018
Friedman on 32 thoughts this AM:

-Wonders what adding Michkov will mean for the rebuild. Compares the situation to Panarin joining the Rangers
-Said he’s not sure the deal with Ottawa still happens
-Mentions talks with Konecny are “slower than expected.” Said he isn’t sure what that will mean in regard to whether a deal can be agreed upon.
-Marek mentioned the teams cap situation as an obstacle to any moves made this week
Friedman on Konecny:

"There's this whole situation with Konecny, that... I think those talks have gone a little slower than anybody would've liked. But, does that really mean anything or does everybody still think there's time to work this out?"

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Flyers way...

Don't trade Laughton for a 1st
Instead trade a younger, better player in farabee for a 1st

Wish we could actually make competent decisions.
I can see it now...

We cant trade Laughton because we're weak at LW after moving Farabee. :blah:

There's plenty of space for him in Allentown.
They already have Petersen and Kolosov in the AHL.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Friedman on Konecny:

"There's this whole situation with Konecny, that... I think those talks have gone a little slower than anybody would've liked. But, does that really mean anything or does everybody still think there's time to work this out?"

Maybe the flyers have a lower number in mind than TK and any higher they are ok trading him? That’s how it should be. TK for Rossi or 7OA makes a lot of sense for the Flyers.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I would rather have Parekh or Buium + Helenius than Demidov.
That's an intriguing possibility if we have those picks. Honestly there is no wrong answer to that question. Getting Demidov or getting a big time defender and a guy like Helenius are both dream scenarios. Especially if in either situation they can get maybe a faller later in the first either by trading up from 32 or by getting ANOTHER first in the teens somehow (Farabee?). Imagine a first round something like this:

7-Buium
12-Helenius
17-Eiserman
32-Boisvert

or

5-Demidov
17-Eiserman
32-Freij/Elick or some other defender that didn't come from that cream of the crop

I know people aren't hyped on Eiserman but if you can add a guy like Demidov or a center for Michkov and put Eiserman on that line in a role like LeClair or something to just sit there and score goals I think works great.

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
So this is not a rumor, but I do think it would be quite the showmanship. It's June 28th the flyers are on the clock Danny B walks up to the Mic and says, "Here to announce our first selection in 2024 draft, the newest addition to our organization for the upcoming season, 2023 1st round selection Matvei Michkov" then Michkov says "Flyers pick [Name not pronounced correctly]"

Boom the internet breaks. What a way to announce he signed his ELC. Plus is there a better team building exercise for Michkov and our 2024 1st rounders than hitting the strip after the draft, partying as a unit in Vegas, then catching the same flight back to philly for development camp? What a way to build chemistry

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Hypothetically, you have 7th and 12th overall, how high does that get you? I believe they are targeting Demidov, would be my guess for the want to move up.
Personally, I would prefer they make the picks at 7 and 12 and add two high-potential players than just one. Imagine coming out of the draft with Catton and Parekh, for example.

Reactions: scumpup

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Hypothetically, you have 7th and 12th overall, how high does that get you? I believe they are targeting Demidov, would be my guess for the want to move up.

I would rather have Parekh or Buium + Helenius than Demidov.

We can answer the hypothetical based upon how we would use them or how they would. The former is more fun and the latter more meaningful. Neither is wrong.

I don’t feel comfortable speculating beyond saying that if the trade up was Demidov, I think a well-run team would be able to use 7+12 better. I don’t personally trust them to pass that test, but it’s just a feeling. In particular, I’m worried about who they would take at 7 and then whether or not they would be able to make the right read on whether to move back out of 12. That’s a lot of moving parts to align.

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
Personally, I would prefer they make the picks at 7 and 12 and add two high-potential players than just one.
if buium, catton, parekh, levshunov are available at 7 you take them, and at 12 if you can get helenius thats a huge win for the draft. even other options at 12 are good. 7 and 12 are much better than 3 imo.

demidov doesn't even play center. not worth.
If you can trade 7 and players for demidov then maybe that's a different story.

Reactions: BernieParent

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This team has tired me out so much the last 10 years that I don't even really enjoy hockey anymore. It has created real pessimism inside me. I'm excited to watch Michkov but if we're trading JOEL FARABEE and MORGAN FROST for a DOWNGRADE I will seriously lose my marbles.
What is a downgrade? If we want to rebuild we have to actually rebuild. Yes that includes trading dead weight players, but it also includes trading players with value. At some point you have to make a decision: keep the player and hope the team can improve or trade him for future assets and hope you can turn them in to better players. Yes I know there are players that are worse that should be traded or should have already been traded, but that doesn't impact this decision. You can say "Deslauriers/Hathaway/Laughton/whomever should be or should have been traded" while at the same time saying "Frost's/Farabee's value off the team is higher than it is on the team." Even if on paper you look at it and think on paper the player is worth more than the asset we get in return, if the return will have a more meaningful impact long term you do it.

I don't think anyone is advocating just trading these guys for nothing, but I don't think a guy like Farabee's value is going to increase barring something unexpected nor will his impact be felt on a team with no one to play with. Frost may be a good piece but I think as usual this board is overvaluing the young guys we have on this team. I don't think we must trade him or anything like that, but I also don't think trading him is a bad idea, depending on what the return is. You're not going to get a guy like Demidov or other elite talent unless you a) are drafting at the top of the draft; b) get lucky and someone unexpectedly outplays their draft pick; c) someone unexpected falls like Michkov; or d) you trade something of value to get it, likely in an overpayment.

It's a catch-22. No one wants to overpay but also everyone wants to get some elite talent. If you aren't willing to overpay, you won't get that elite talent.

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
What is a downgrade? If we want to rebuild we have to actually rebuild. Yes that includes trading dead weight players, but it also includes trading players with value. At some point you have to make a decision: keep the player and hope the team can improve or trade him for future assets and hope you can turn them in to better players. Yes I know there are players that are worse that should be traded or should have already been traded, but that doesn't impact this decision. You can say "Deslauriers/Hathaway/Laughton/whomever should be or should have been traded" while at the same time saying "Frost's/Farabee's value off the team is higher than it is on the team." Even if on paper you look at it and think on paper the player is worth more than the asset we get in return, if the return will have a more meaningful impact long term you do it.

I don't think anyone is advocating just trading these guys for nothing, but I don't think a guy like Farabee's value is going to increase barring something unexpected nor will his impact be felt on a team with no one to play with. Frost may be a good piece but I think as usual this board is overvaluing the young guys we have on this team. I don't think we must trade him or anything like that, but I also don't think trading him is a bad idea, depending on what the return is. You're not going to get a guy like Demidov or other elite talent unless you a) are drafting at the top of the draft; b) get lucky and someone unexpectedly outplays their draft pick; c) someone unexpected falls like Michkov; or d) you trade something of value to get it, likely in an overpayment.

It's a catch-22. No one wants to overpay but also everyone wants to get some elite talent. If you aren't willing to overpay, you won't get that elite talent.
if it's for elite talent or elite potential (real potential) then fine thats part of the game.

Reactions: BernieParent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad