News Article: Therrien And Briere

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
When I first read the article I thought "Well Brière probably thought he could still play on the first line and didn't realize he was washed up while Therrien was the same old arrogant bully he's always been, no wonder they got into a fight...

But then when you read that quote from Desharnais, it's 1000% confirmed Therrien is an ass. Proves once more than Bergevin is not a good judge of his ever so important "character". Pathetic management team.
Daniel said he was ready to do anything to help the team, including helping with the sticks after a game! Therrien acted badly from the get go.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Nothing new here, it was known Therrien was a complete jerk.

Coaches are not being paid to be nice, they're being paid to get results.

I could care less about his methods and interactions with his players.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not quite sure why Therrien being a d**k is a story lol I mean, who didn't know that?

I liked Marc Denis' take on it this morning on 690 (btw, Marc Denis is a god send to the media in Montreal, he's excellent) what Brière said about Therrien is probably the watered down version of what really went on, he also said that coaches like Tortorella, Crawford, Hartley, etc are known for stuff like this.

None of this should really be shocking to anyone...Therrien isn't a new school coach, he doesn't know how to handle millenials and that's why he won't ever get a job in the NHL again.

And TBH, Daniel isn't even vindictive about it. It's one small chapter in the book.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I was coached by Jos Canale, he was a very colorful and volatile individual. I was yelled at a lot but I also learned, got the carrot when I deserved it and the stick when I deserved it.

It sort of comes with the territory in the juniors I guess.

With Therrien, I just don't perceive a whole lot of carrot for ANYBODY. I mean I knew about the DD thing before this came out. We know what he said about Pacioretty being the worse captain ever. We know how he treated Galchenyuk. etc etc etc...

He always praised Price, but Price constantly and unequivocally saved his bacon, and I don't know how he could have framed being a hard-ass on Price but when time came, Price shoved how he treated his teammates up his ass.

I don't think Therrien will ever work in the NHL again. Probably will end up on RDS.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I think most of the people here don't get how any Professionnal hockey coaches are working. They are not there to hold your hand. Most are hardass mofos. If they're not they're easily taken advantage of by players who are not all choir boys. Fact, most hockey players are hardasses themselves. Ain't not place for the weak minds. Brière, to me, acted unprofessional when throwing his former coach under the bus. I don't blame Therrien for being hard on the guy, Brière sucked when he played for the Habs. He looked out of shape, coach noticed and didn't gave him free minutes, nor favoritism. That said, I wasn't a fan of Therrien, but in my personnal experience as a player that played a high level, hardass coaches are the ones with who you have a chance to win.

Thing is: it doesn't work anymore. Even Sweet Lou said to Pat Burns to stop his 'tough mofo' schtick, or he wouldn't make it through.

Being hard and being fair is not the opposite. Bill Billichick is hard. But he's fair. And he understands who brings in the wins. Just like Demers understood who was key to his success.

Therrien is just a stupid human being who never got that.

And the day he treated Price the same way is the day he lost his job.

Players rule in pro sports. They do. This is not junior leagues. You're dealing with millionnaires who have confidence galore in their talent. This type of behavior may work at the junior level, but it doesn't at the pro level.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I was coached by Jos Canale, he was a very colorful and volatile individual. I was yelled at a lot but I also learned, got the carrot when I deserved it and the stick when I deserved it.

It sort of comes with the territory in the juniors I guess.

With Therrien, I just don't perceive a whole lot of carrot for ANYBODY. I mean I knew about the DD thing before this came out. We know what he said about Pacioretty being the worse captain ever. We know how he treated Galchenyuk. etc etc etc...

He always praised Price, but Price constantly and unequivocally saved his bacon, and I don't know how he could have framed being a hard-ass on Price but when time came, Price shoved how he treated his teammates up his ass.

I don't think Therrien will ever work in the NHL again. Probably will end up on RDS.

At the end of the day MT has millions in his bank, his name will always be etched as one of the winningst coaches in the most storied NHL franchise in hockey history.

Could he have had more carrots? More class? Been nicer? Probably. But maybe then he never gets past JR's or to the NHL.

I bet you probably meet lots of players who had a me first attitude and put their careers above their 4th line teammates who won't ever go anywhere. Getting to the top doesn't always mean you have to be the nicest person in the world.

MT was an asshole, when he was to much of an asshole the team turned on him and he lost his job. In the end Karma got him but his ride before that happened was a very good one.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
More juicy stories coming out about Therrien:

"Un auditeur à déjà écrit à André Arthur pour lui raconter son expérience . Il était avec son jeune garçon dans la région Wilkes -Bares quand Therrien coachait la filiale des Penguins. Le père décidé d amener son fils voir le match. Comme par hasard, ils tombe dans le même ascenseur que Therrien. Le petit garçon tout ébahi demande à Therrien s'il croit qu ils vont gagner ce soir. Therrien lui présente un doigt et dit au garçon de tirer dessus (ils sont dans le ascenseur ). Le petit tire et Therrien lâche un PET. Le coach était cramper ben raide."

TRANSLATION: A listener wrote to André Arthur, to share his experience (with Therrien). He was with his young son in the Wilkes-Barre area while Therrien was coaching the Penguins' affiliate. The father decided to bring his son to a game. By happenstance, father and son ended up in the same elevator as Therrien. The little boy is awe-stricken and asks Therrien if they're going to win tonight. Therrien shows him a finger and tells the boy to pull on it (they are still in the elevator). The little boy pulls and Therrien rips a fart. And Therrien laughs his head off.

:laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: JLP and muzion

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
At the end of the day MT has millions in his bank, his name will always be etched as one of the winningst coaches in the most storied NHL franchise in hockey history.

Could he have had more carrots? More class? Been nicer? Probably. But maybe then he never gets past JR's or to the NHL.

I bet you probably meet lots of players who had a me first attitude and put their careers above their 4th line teammates who won't ever go anywhere. Getting to the top doesn't always mean you have to be the nicest person in the world.

MT was an *******, when he was to much of an ******* the team turned on him and he lost his job. In the end Karma got him but his ride before that happened was a very good one.

ABSOLUTELY! Mike Ribeiro. Just saw his mug shot. He got to the top of that pyramid and has come tumbling down. But yeah, he did make it. And most of everybody I know at best grudgingly respects his skills and ignores the guy.

And over the years I piled a lot on Ribeiro, I don't like him, but I did applaud him for kicking his habits, unfortunately that didn't seem to last. Nowadays, I understand he probably had reasons for being the miserable destructive prick he was that extended way beyond hockey into his childhood and his familial life...

Also saw a lot of me-first types never go anywhere. Attitude is a thing, but talent and physical ability will always be premium.

Reactions: scrubadam

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
And MT got better results out of the team he inherited from the same GM.

Would rather enjoy watching the team fight and win games 2-1/3-2 then what we have seen this season.

But if its all about the team assembled then the coach doesn't make much of a difference in the end. MT was an ******* to his players. It got results, when it didn't he got fired and now he has no job. Don't really care how he interacted with his millionaire over pampered athletes, I only care about Wins and losses. Maybe if CJ was more of an ******* the team would have better results? Maybe worse results. All I know is MT being a complete ******* for 4.5 season had the habs as a top 10/top 5 team for 75% of that time. I enjoyed it a lot better. If you want to blame MB for the team sucking now that can be discussed in the MB thread.
The team he inherited was better, because it was from Gainey and Gauthier...........and Price played out of his mind...MT is a clown coach...it is what it is.........everyone but MB knows this...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

TRANSLATION: A listener wrote to André Arthur, to share his experience (with Therrien). He was with his young son in the Wilkes-Barre area while Therrien was coaching the Penguins' affiliate. The father decided to bring his son to a game. By happenstance, father and son ended up in the same elevator as Therrien. The little boy is awe-stricken and asks Therrien if they're going to win tonight. Therrien shows him a finger and tells the boy to pull on it (they are still in the elevator). The little boy pulls and Therrien shoots out a fart. And Therrien laughs his head off.

Not surprised...at all.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

TRANSLATION: A listener wrote to André Arthur, to share his experience (with Therrien). He was with his young son in the Wilkes-Barre area while Therrien was coaching the Penguins' affiliate. The father decided to bring his son to a game. By happenstance, father and son ended up in the same elevator as Therrien. The little boy is awe-stricken and asks Therrien if they're going to win tonight. Therrien shows him a finger and tells the boy to pull on it (they are still in the elevator). The little boy pulls and Therrien shoots out a fart. And Therrien laughs his head off.

This cannot be real lol

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The team he inherited was better, because it was from Gainey and Gauthier...........and Price played out of his mind...MT is a clown coach...it is what it is.........everyone but MB knows this...

Price played out of his mind for 1 year. years 1 and 2 habs were 12 in GF and 11 in GA. 25% of year 4 they were top offensive team and 50% of year 5 they were top 5 offensive team as well.

All this to say maybe MT was a clown coach. In the end the clown provided a lot more entertaining hockey product with actual wins than what we are seeing on the ice today. Coach's job is to win games and MT did it for most of the time was here. His attitude eventually lost the room and he got RIGHTFULLY fired for it.

But I would take those 3.5 years where the team was on top and grinded out exciting nail biting edge of your seat wins, over what we are seeing now where usually after 10 minutes into the game you know the team is done for.

Ironic the circles that are agrued on here. MT has nothing to do with wins, but once the team losses while its not the roster its all MT. And there was such a great inherited roster, but MB sucks as GM because he never got and C's or top 6 forwards. MT basically should of made the habs a the Pens/Chicago/LA, but the fact that he didn't have the roster for it but still had the team right up there with those guys isn't enough. Somehow he should of turned a team Centerd by DD/Pleks/Eller/and teenager AG with guys like Briere/Ryder/PAP into an offensive dynamo. He got the team to finish 4th/9th/2nd in the NHL with the rag tag group MB gave him, he did what he was paid for. His last 2 years were marred with problems he couldn't solve and it cost him his job and now he sits at home colleting pay checks. But I enjoyed the team in 2012/13/14 and even the first half of last year a lot more than the first 24 games we have seen this year. If anyone says otherwise I don't believe them unless they love to watch the team loser.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Lol, thats hilarious. I have a hard time believing some of these stories. "Hey mister, are you going to win tonight?" "Pull my finger and I'll tell you"

I have a hard time believing anyone could do these things without getting their ass kicked once or twice in their lives. Throwing toenails clippings at a bus driver and everyone on the bus just letting it happen, bus driver included?

Just seems far fetched.

Reactions: Runner77

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
MT is an *******. Seems like he was one back in his JR days. Lots of successful people are *******s. Gates/Bezos/UBER CEO the list can go no and on. Don't really care how he treated millionaire athletes. Being an ******* is what got him to where he is
Tossing his toe nails at the bus driver made MT a NHL coach.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lol, thats hilarious. I have a hard time believing some of these stories. "Hey mister, are you going to win tonight?" "Pull my finger and I'll tell you"

I have a hard time believing anyone could do these things without getting their ass kicked once or twice in their lives. Throwing toenails clippings at a bus driver and everyone on the bus just letting it happen, bus driver included?

Just seems far fetched.

The stories come from André Arthur, who is a controversial figure all his own. However, despite the multiple derogatory stories and comments by Arthur, Therrien has never engaged in litigation with Arthur, as far as I know. So this leads me to believe that there is enough smoke for Therrien to know that he's created a fire and it's all coming home to roost. The bus driver story comes from a driver who had to put up with Therrien's antics as he sat in the first seat, directly across the driver, whenever the team he coached was being bussed. There is a source and Arthur can point to it, so Therrien would be hard pressed to be able to deny.

You also have to take into account that Therrien was an intimidating figure and even worked as a bouncer (there is a photo of him as a bouncer for Rock Voisine). And there are several stories that point to Therrien being disrespectful, arrogant and condescending from many sources, so none of this is out of character.

Makes you wonder what the hell is his obsession with flatulence. Although, I must say, I have witnessed this phenomena myself.

I was at the last game of a baseball season involving 12-year olds when after the game, the coach decides to remit trophies to each kid in recognition of their season. So, one by one, the kids walk up to the coach who is standing near the mound and I kid you not, as he would remit trophies, some of the kids were greeted with his loud farts. The guy thought the whole thing was funny but the parents were not amused. There are more Therriens out there than we will ever know.

Last edited:

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
rather have success in spite of someone, then failures due to someone.

Anyways I know MT is hated on here and the bias will never go away. I just enjoyed seeing the team on the top rather than the bottom. If it was because MT was a passenger so be it, he is a way better passenger than CJ is doing right now.

Therrien showed what kind of coach he was when Price got injured and the team imploded. Price has done a stellar job of making Therrien and Bergevin look NHL caliber.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The stories come from André Arthur, who is a controversial figure all his own. However, despite the multiple derogatory stories and comments by Arthur, Therrien has never engaged in litigation with Arthur, as far as I know. So this leads me to believe that there is enough smoke for Therrien to know that he's created a fire and it's all coming home to roost. The bus driver story comes from a driver who had to put up with Therrien's antics as he sat in the first seat, directly across the driver, whenever the team he coached was being bussed. There is a source and Arthur can point to it, so Therrien would be hard pressed to be able to deny.

You also have to take into account that Therrien was an intimidating figure and even worked as a bouncer (there is a photo of him as a bouncer for Rock Voisine). And there are several stories that point to Therrien being disrespectful, arrogant and condescending from many sources, so none of this is out of character.

Makes you wonder what the hell is his obsession with flatulence. Although, I must say, I have witnessed this phenomena myself.

I was at the last game of a baseball season involving 12-year olds when after the game, the coach decides to remit trophies to each kid in recognition of their season. So, one by one, the kids walk up to the coach who is standing near the mound and I kid you not, as he would remit trophies, some of the kids were greeted with his loud farts. The guy thought the whole thing was funny but the parents were not amused. There are more Therriens out there than we will ever know.

Farts are funny. Who doesn't get a laugh from a fart. The old pull my finger is one of the oldest gags in the world. If you ever watch Naked gun one of the biggest laughs is when Franks mic is still on and he lets one rip.

MT was probably an Asshole. Lots of people in life are.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Therrien showed what kind of coach he was when Price got injured and the team imploded. Price has done a stellar job of making Therrien and Bergevin look NHL caliber.

and hopefully Price can do the same in kind for CJ this year, because outside of the last two games he was doing a bad job of making anyone look NHL calibre.

Anyways don't care what kind of coach MT was. If you honestly tell me this season is more fun than 12/13/14 or the first half of last year then I don't believe you. It was a lot more fun watching the habs win 2-1 or 3-2 on the edge of my seat the entire game and then checking the next day to see them at the top of the division than turning the game off after the first period and checking the standings the next day seeing 25 or 26 next to Montreal Canadians.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
This stupid inheritance argument? MT inherited a team that finished 3rd last and 18th and 14th the 3 years before.

While missing the MVP Markov for almost the entire span of those 3 seasons.

So let me get this straight, you think that the big difference was adding MT and Prust, right???

Not the additions of Markov, Gally and Chucky?

Btw yoi brought up the "stupid injeritance argument", which by the sound of it you must hate because it shows just how little both clowns did to help the team.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
and hopefully Price can do the same in kind for CJ this year, because outside of the last two games he was doing a bad job of making anyone look NHL calibre.

Anyways don't care what kind of coach MT was. If you honestly tell me this season is more fun than 12/13/14 or the first half of last year then I don't believe you. It was a lot more fun watching the habs win 2-1 or 3-2 on the edge of my seat the entire game and then checking the next day to see them at the top of the division than turning the game off after the first period and checking the standings the next day seeing 25 or 26 next to Montreal Canadians.

It wasn't fun before and it's not fun now.

But for you, who disappear when the team is in a losing streak and suddenly come back once they manage to win 2 in row... yeah I guess this year is "terrible".

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Just seems far fetched.

If you know the human piece of gutter known as Jean-Guy Morrissette, you know it's not far fetched.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Maybe Therrein just wasn't into vegetables.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad