News Article: Therrien And Briere

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
While missing the MVP Markov for almost the entire span of those 3 seasons.

So let me get this straight, you think that the big difference was adding MT and Prust, right???

Not the additions of Markov, Gally and Chucky?

No I think that MT took a decent team and got good results out of em for most of the time he was here. What more do you want from the guy? First 3 years 4th/9th/2nd in the NHL. Last year half the season top 8 team.

Comeon we read all day long about how MB sucks and didn't do anything for the team did you really expect MT to turn the habs into the Hawks or LA? His C line was DD/Pleks/Eller and teenager AG. Outside of Max he didn't have much top 6 unless you want to count Cole/Ryder/PAP/Briere. D was thin outside of Markov/PK. The pieces were decent but it was not a top 10 roster but the results were top 10. Don't give the man any credit fine, while as a passenger he did what he was hired to do, which is win hockey games. I know that there is a side that will never admit that the coach could possibly have even a % of influence on the wins the team had, but 100% the losses are all on him. That's the bias. I don't give MT 100% credit for the team, the players play. But Wins and losses it what matter and the team under MT did a lot more winning. And personally I think winning close games even with a goalie having to be great is pretty exciting hockey. It keeps you watching till the end. You didn't enjoy 12/13/14 a lot more than what we are watching now?

I don't care how the results were achieved, he got em. Once the team spiraled and he had no answers IMO the team turned on him. He got a 2nd chance, the players gave him a 2nd chance, and the minute things started to slip they tuned him out again and he was gone. An abrasive coach like MT is always going to have a short shelf life. He went to Pitts and got em to a cup final and the team still tuned him out the following year. After 3.5 years he eventually turned the players on him and it cost him his job. But those first 3 years were a very fun ride as a fan.

If MB hired Hartly instead would the team had the same results we will never know. We only know what actually happened and to me what happened at the start at least wasn't as bad as some want to paint it. But this is really about how much an ass MT is and I don't disagree that he was probably a big jerk to his players. But I don't really care how he treated pampered millionaires who probably always got treated like they were special their entire lives. They deserved each other LOL.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
More juicy stories coming out about Therrien:

TRANSLATION: A listener wrote to André Arthur, to share his experience (with Therrien). He was with his young son in the Wilkes-Barre area while Therrien was coaching the Penguins' affiliate. The father decided to bring his son to a game. By happenstance, father and son ended up in the same elevator as Therrien. The little boy is awe-stricken and asks Therrien if they're going to win tonight. Therrien shows him a finger and tells the boy to pull on it (they are still in the elevator). The little boy pulls and Therrien shoots out a fart. And Therrien laughs his head off.

:laugh:
You just gotta laugh at an oaf that thinks that's still funny.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
That's a complete and utter fallacy. Both Therrien and Bergevin inherited that team from Gauthier, but mostly Gainey.

Nobody takes you seriously anymore around here because you always come up with this sorta BS arguments.

i do

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
It wasn't fun before and it's not fun now.

But for you, who disappear when the team is in a losing streak and suddenly come back once they manage to win 2 in row... yeah I guess this year is "terrible".

Well what can I say, you don't have fun watching the team win, you don't have fun watching them lose, so what enjoyment do you get from the team?

I always said if I lost interest in the team I would stop following them. This year the team is bad and I am not that interested in them so I am not following them as much or posting as much.

And this board is just toxic, way more toxic that its ever been. The irony is not lost on me that we are in a thread about how much of an asshole MT was and how horrible he was to his players with posters reveling in it and bashing MT. Yet these are mostly the same people who act just as much as bullies on this board to other people. Who belittle other posters and call them names. I mean you and your buddy who is likeing your posts had no problem to say no one respects me on this board how different is that from MT telling Briere his teammates don't respect him?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
No I think that MT took a decent team and got good results out of em for most of the time he was here. What more do you want from the guy? First 3 years 4th/9th/2nd in the NHL. Last year half the season top 8 team.

Comeon we read all day long about how MB sucks and didn't do anything for the team did you really expect MT to turn the habs into the Hawks or LA? His C line was DD/Pleks/Eller and teenager AG. Outside of Max he didn't have much top 6 unless you want to count Cole/Ryder/PAP/Briere. D was thin outside of Markov/PK. The pieces were decent but it was not a top 10 roster but the results were top 10. Don't give the man any credit fine, while as a passenger he did what he was hired to do, which is win hockey games. I know that there is a side that will never admit that the coach could possibly have even a % of influence on the wins the team had, but 100% the losses are all on him. That's the bias. I don't give MT 100% credit for the team, the players play. But Wins and losses it what matter and the team under MT did a lot more winning. And personally I think winning close games even with a goalie having to be great is pretty exciting hockey. It keeps you watching till the end. You didn't enjoy 12/13/14 a lot more than what we are watching now?

I don't care how the results were achieved, he got em. Once the team spiraled and he had no answers IMO the team turned on him. He got a 2nd chance, the players gave him a 2nd chance, and the minute things started to slip they tuned him out again and he was gone. An abrasive coach like MT is always going to have a short shelf life. He went to Pitts and got em to a cup final and the team still tuned him out the following year. After 3.5 years he eventually turned the players on him and it cost him his job. But those first 3 years were a very fun ride as a fan.

If MB hired Hartly instead would the team had the same results we will never know. We only know what actually happened and to me what happened at the start at least wasn't as bad as some want to paint it. But this is really about how much an ass MT is and I don't disagree that he was probably a big jerk to his players. But I don't really care how he treated pampered millionaires who probably always got treated like they were special their entire lives. They deserved each other LOL.

this is a thread about Michel Therrien being a bully
this is a thread about Michel Therrien being a piece of shit to other human beings
this is a thread about Michel Therrien being a shitty human being

You are defending Michel Therrien.

It says a lot about what you are as a human being.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I'm sure when he started, he wasn't such a jerk too.....takes time to build an ego and somekind of reputation to get away with this. I have to admit that most things we heard about Therrien started after that big win....started more in the Terry Ryan's years.

Remember when P.K. Subban was finally nominated to be on Team Canada and Michel Therrien benched him the same night.....Only an ass can do that.

Remember after his 1st game behind the bench, he put Eller in the stands for a few games. That's a total bias jerk move.

From throwing players under the bus publicly (and sometimes even the wrong ones) to rumor about his comments about Pacioretty or the rumour about Shaw's treatment in the room that led to his firing.

From the Ryan's and Briere's book to Weaver, Weise, Subban, DSP, Parenteau, Belanger, Whitney, Ruutu, Hossa and Orpik's comments about Therrien (And many more)....there's no doubt he's simply an ass.

He probably thought that coaching was like Yvan Ponton in Lance et Compte.

And you have guys like Prust who loved him and send him his regards after he was fired. Character guys usually thrives on the tough love concept while guys that are softers have trouble with it.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
More juicy stories coming out about Therrien:

TRANSLATION: A listener wrote to André Arthur, to share his experience (with Therrien). He was with his young son in the Wilkes-Barre area while Therrien was coaching the Penguins' affiliate. The father decided to bring his son to a game. By happenstance, father and son ended up in the same elevator as Therrien. The little boy is awe-stricken and asks Therrien if they're going to win tonight. Therrien shows him a finger and tells the boy to pull on it (they are still in the elevator). The little boy pulls and Therrien shoots out a fart. And Therrien laughs his head off.

:laugh:

Would you want this man in your foxhole?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
this is a thread about Michel Therrien being a bully
this is a thread about Michel Therrien being a piece of **** to other human beings
this is a thread about Michel Therrien being a ****ty human being

You are defending Michel Therrien.

It says a lot about what you are as a human being.

I defend his record as a coach. I said he is in asshole. Being an asshole got his players to tune him out and got him fired.

But lots of people appalled at his bullying behavior having no problems bullying people on this board, calling them names, being piece of shits to them etc... MT is an asshole for telling Briere no one respects him, but posters are good people for saying the same thing to other posters?

I have no problem with saying MT was an asshole, I am sure plenty of coaches are. Him being an asshole lead to 3 great season and one half great season. Then he got fired. He paid for his attitude with his job. So yes MT is an asshole. At least he didn't go around sexually assaulting people. If the worst you can say is he hurt the feelings of millionaire athletes its not the end of the world.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
No way... Is he serious or just showboating for the cameras? Good on Subban.. I'm sure he knew there was cameras and made sure to make MT look like a freaking Clown. "What do you want me to do on this play, coach?"

SKATE,SKATE, PASSTHEPUCK

Idiot
BINGO good on Subban!

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I defend his record as a coach. I said he is in *******. Being an ******* got his players to tune him out and got him fired.

But lots of people appalled at his bullying behavior having no problems bullying people on this board, calling them names, being piece of ****s to them etc... MT is an ******* for telling Briere no one respects him, but posters are good people for saying the same thing to other posters?

I have no problem with saying MT was an *******, I am sure plenty of coaches are. Him being an ******* lead to 3 great season and one half great season. Then he got fired. He paid for his attitude with his job. So yes MT is an *******. At least he didn't go around sexually assaulting people. If the worst you can say is he hurt the feelings of millionaire athletes its not the end of the world.
Worst post of the year .... decade ?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I defend his record as a coach. I said he is in *******. Being an ******* got his players to tune him out and got him fired.

But lots of people appalled at his bullying behavior having no problems bullying people on this board, calling them names, being piece of ****s to them etc... MT is an ******* for telling Briere no one respects him, but posters are good people for saying the same thing to other posters?

I have no problem with saying MT was an *******, I am sure plenty of coaches are. Him being an ******* lead to 3 great season and one half great season. Then he got fired. He paid for his attitude with his job. So yes MT is an *******. At least he didn't go around sexually assaulting people. If the worst you can say is he hurt the feelings of millionaire athletes its not the end of the world.

keep defending everything MT did.

There's no point talking about it (or anything else actually) with you.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Since when is bullying an accepted form of leadership?

This isn't tough love, this is harassment and abuse.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Well what can I say, you don't have fun watching the team win, you don't have fun watching them lose, so what enjoyment do you get from the team?

I always said if I lost interest in the team I would stop following them. This year the team is bad and I am not that interested in them so I am not following them as much or posting as much.

And this board is just toxic, way more toxic that its ever been. The irony is not lost on me that we are in a thread about how much of an ******* MT was and how horrible he was to his players with posters reveling in it and bashing MT. Yet these are mostly the same people who act just as much as bullies on this board to other people. Who belittle other posters and call them names. I mean you and your buddy who is likeing your posts had no problem to say no one respects me on this board how different is that from MT telling Briere his teammates don't respect him?

What you see today is the aftermath of hiring and keeping Therrien for so long. You defended ineptitude because it gave you a short term fix. And this year you're not interested in them because... consequences are not fun.

Last edited:

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

MT was garbage

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Since when is bullying an accepted form of leadership?

This isn't tough love, this is harassment and abuse.

wow, a bit dramatic you are :laugh::laugh:

were talking about guy's who makes millions PLAYING hockey

and if i recall Daniel Briere refuse an offer from the Montreal Canadiens to accept less terms an money with the Flyers, dont you think he used the Habs to get the most out of his deal with Philly.....at the time i was a bit angry at him making us believe he may come here when he knew all along he wouldnt....and i was already an adult back then...sayin that beceause i'm sure the fact that he didnt sign here broke alot of youngsters hart at the time, are we sayin Briere is a goddam heartless human being beceause of that, no we dont....Briere knew very well what kind of coach MT was when he decide to sign here nobody twist his arms..... so please stop with the ''harrasment and abuse stuff for godsake

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
This is also the reason why Julien BriseBois should be the next GM.

I can't imagine why any fan would endorse yet another neophyte taking over an important job here in Montreal. A large part of the lack of success of this team since it's last Stanley Cup stems from hiring General Managers and coaches with zero NHL experience at those jobs. Hire people with established track records and enough with breaking in "new blood" in important roles.

Reactions: Pickles

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
How is there "no doubt about that?"
There were a few incidents that kind of hinted there might have been some animosity between PK and Max. Remember PK's quote that his job wasn't to score goals? That was a shot at Max after one of his usual disappearing acts. Max gave PK the stink eye after that comment. There was a scrums in practice between the two. Remember the video of PK pumping everyone up in the locker room before a game? Watch the part when PK gets to Max. There's hints of animosity there. In my opinion there's little doubt that PK had problems with a few of the players on the team including Max.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
How is there "no doubt about that?"
I remember hearing Dany Dubé at the very beginning of the 2015-2016 season commenting on how Pacioretty was looking off Subban on certain plays during a game vs Edmonton and that their body language wasn't looking right on the bench. He said he wanted to be really careful before bringing it up in public, but whatever was going on between them needed to be solved or it could hurt the team.

Dubé travels with the team, so I wouldn't be surprised if he saw other things outside the rink that prompted him to bring it up. It's no concrete proof, but there was definitely a vibe between those two.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
There were a few incidents that kind of hinted there might have been some animosity between PK and Max. Remember PK's quote that his job wasn't to score goals? That was a shot at Max after one of his usual disappearing acts. Max gave PK the stink eye after that comment. There was a scrums in practice between the two. Remember the video of PK pumping everyone up in the locker room before a game? Watch the part when PK gets to Max. There's hints of animosity there. In my opinion there's little doubt that PK had problems with a few of the players on the team including Max.

This is evidence that there is "no doubt" about it? C'mon.

I know two people that follow the team on a daily basis and work very closely with the guys that said there was absolutely nothing to rumour, and I certainly am going to listen to them before this sort of tin foil hat conspiracy theory nonsense. I don't know how you could possibly, with a straight face, claim that Subban saying it's not his job to score goals is somehow a shot at Max. There is a huge, and rather convenient, leap of logic there to string those two things together. And then, you are adding a "stink eye" suggestion on top of it? Really? Hints of animosity when PK is pumping up the locker room? I mean, seriously? This is ridiculous. Even still, you haven't even come close to somehow connecting your dirty looks and hints of animosity to a franchise altering trade. What happened next, Max went to the General Manager, said P.K. said something that hurt my feelings in an interview, can you trade him?

You can't honestly believe this silliness.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
wow, a bit dramatic you are :laugh::laugh:

were talking about guy's who makes millions PLAYING hockey

and if i recall Daniel Briere refuse an offer from the Montreal Canadiens to accept less terms an money with the Flyers, dont you think he used the Habs to get the most out of his deal with Philly.....at the time i was a bit angry at him making us believe he may come here when he knew all along he wouldnt....and i was already an adult back then...sayin that beceause i'm sure the fact that he didnt sign here broke alot of youngsters hart at the time, are we sayin Briere is a goddam heartless human being beceause of that, no we dont....Briere knew very well what kind of coach MT was when he decide to sign here nobody twist his arms..... so please stop with the ''harrasment and abuse stuff for godsake

Not a single thing of what you said justifies Therrien bullying the players.

Reactions: LarryO and Pickles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad