News Article: Therrien And Briere

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jul 6, 2016
After four seasons, MT shelf life as the Habs coach was over. MB did not recognize that with the results we are seeing right now. But coaching is just one aspect. Bad mix of players is also responsible for what we are seeing.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The organization has been managed by terrible GMs the last few years (Pierre Gauthier, MB). Its amazing how in 2017 w/t the advent of a salary cap that a GM doesn't understand the medium and long-term impact of treating their players like POS. Regardless of the fact that players make millions of dollars, they don't want to be belittled and berated by the team leadership (coach, GM, ownership).

B/W the crazy media/journalists and how they have been treating the players the last decade or so... is it any wonder the organization has trouble attracting UFA's without throwing a boat-load of $$$ at them or getting players to sign "hometown" discounts?

The only place worse than Montreal right now to breed a good hockey is Phoenix.

The media kills any chance at attracting UFAs, our management is imcompetent and ownership is complacent, pushing for safe management to make sure profits keep rollin in.

With THREE crowd favorites gone, the team sucking must night, profits are bound to go down.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Even when the guy is gone gotta have a huge thread dedicated to blasting him.

MT is an *******. Seems like he was one back in his JR days. Lots of successful people are *******s. Gates/Bezos/UBER CEO the list can go no and on. Don't really care how he treated millionaire athletes. Being an ******* is what got him to where he is. It got him to the NHL, one of the top winningst coaches in habs history, a SCF with the Pens, and sitting on the couch with no job today because the team quit on him.

And why wouldn't MB extend him. He was extended June 2014. The team just came off an ECF run, and 2 years under him was 7th best team in the NHL. Don't put those 2 years on Price, 12th in GF/11th in GA. The year after he was extended the team finishes in 2nd place in the NHL!

I kinda miss the habs under MT. Maybe the team grinded too much for some but I enjoyed the habs sitting at the top of the standings. I enjoyed that if the team got a goal or two you felt it was game over, not the hockey we are seeing today where the other team will score 2 goals in a minute and its game over for the habs. He didn't ruin any players. Lars had his best seasons under MT. Same for AG. AG scored 30 under MT and played over 100 games at C. Today he will be lucky to get 20 and won't ever see the C position again. Pleks/Markov were having career years even in their 30's under the guy. PK with a Norris and 60 point season. Max actually scoring 35+ goals instead of his 20 he probably gets this year. Heck even Price looked better under MT!

MT's first 3.5 years were fun times to be a habs fan. The team was on the up, it had young guys who looked like they could be stars backed by a goalie many felt was the best in the world. After Price went down and he had no answers to the slide I think he lost the room and his way of coaching just wasn't flying with the team anymore. He hung on for a while after that but his crap became to much and eventually the room tuned him out again and he was rightfully fired.

All I know is I would rather watch the habs at the top of the standings like they were for 75% of MT's tenure than this bottom of the league team we are seeing now. Wins are the most exciting part of hockey. If grinding out 3-2,2-1 wins in nail biting games where Price is making huge saves and Max is scoring huge goals is what it takes that's more entertaining than seeing a million shots at net and losing 6-0 or 5-2 etc...
The Habs were successful in spite of Therrien............and thanks to the core being younger, and Carey being Carey...Therrien was a tool...

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
The QMJHL produced some terrible pricks for coaches. Therrien is one of them. Hartley was a prick. Most of the players who played for Ben Groulx in Gatineau HATED him with a passion. Most couldn't play for him and it was the same for Therrien. It's a good thing these dictators are being replaced by new age coaches in junior.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The Habs were successful in spite of Therrien............and thanks to the core being younger, and Carey being Carey...Therrien was a tool...

rather have success in spite of someone, then failures due to someone.

Anyways I know MT is hated on here and the bias will never go away. I just enjoyed seeing the team on the top rather than the bottom. If it was because MT was a passenger so be it, he is a way better passenger than CJ is doing right now.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Anyways I know MT is hated on here and the bias will never go away. I just enjoyed seeing the team on the top rather than the bottom. If it was because MT was a passenger so be it, he is a way better passenger than CJ is doing right now.

Sigh.. CJ is not a "worse" passenger, get a friggin clue for once, CJ has a worse team. Much worse.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Sigh.. CJ is not a "worse" passenger, get a friggin clue for once, CJ has a worse team. Much worse.

So is it the team or the coach that effects the results?

In the end who cares. MT got better results, if the team was better so be it. It was more fun watching the team sitting at the top.

First 2 season, 7th in the NHL. A decent offensive and defensive team. 12/11 GF/GA.

3rd season, 2nd in the NHL. Price was amazing, but it was a lot of fun watching the habs have a dominate player on their team clean up with awards. Can't forget Max and PK having awesome years.

Year 4, 25% of the season top team in the league and an offensive powerhouse. Epic collapse MT deserves blame.

Year 5 50% top team in the league, top 5 offense. Wheels feel off and MT was fired.

Those years were a lot better than what we are watching now. Habs under MT were a top team for 75% of his time here. Were decent offensively for about 60% of his time here. The players were better. AG had a 30G season and was looking like a top 6C.

Outside the 2 collapses, with MT here I felt the team could grind out a 2-1 win. Wins matter to me. Watching this team get blown out or finished by 10 minutes into the 1st period is not fun.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
So is it the team or the coach that effects the results?

In the end who cares. MT got better results, if the team was better so be it. It was more fun watching the team sitting at the top.

First 2 season, 7th in the NHL. A decent offensive and defensive team. 12/11 GF/GA.

3rd season, 2nd in the NHL. Price was amazing, but it was a lot of fun watching the habs have a dominate player on their team clean up with awards. Can't forget Max and PK having awesome years.

Year 4, 25% of the season top team in the league and an offensive powerhouse. Epic collapse MT deserves blame.

Year 5 50% top team in the league, top 5 offense. Wheels feel off and MT was fired.

Those years were a lot better than what we are watching now. Habs under MT were a top team for 75% of his time here. Were decent offensively for about 60% of his time here. The players were better. AG had a 30G season and was looking like a top 6C.

Outside the 2 collapses, with MT here I felt the team could grind out a 2-1 win. Wins matter to me. Watching this team get blown out or finished by 10 minutes into the 1st period is not fun.

That's a lot of words for saying you only care about results and are entirely uninteresting in doing any further digging.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Therrien inherited a better team, than CJ...again, thanks due to MB.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Therrien And Briere

Thelma and Louise
Harry and Tonto
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot
Harold and Kumar
Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid
Bonnie and Clyde
Tango and Cash
Lilo & Stitch

I see a film in the works.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
where to start really.

I came to therrien's defence on many occasions, and I understand it rubs people the wrong way. Bullying is something we should all condemn, and his alleged interventions look clearly more like bullying than authoritarian coaching. That being said , I decided to take time and go back , read a few pages in a few threads and I can say that there is a certain level of hypocrisy in this thread. Whether its about the ''love story'' between DD and MT, or the simple fact that most of us wanted briere further down the lineup (something he probably wasn't happy about).

These guys are millionaires, its their job. As much as I'm disappointed that things got out of hands, I'm happy with anything that did not get out of hand. Subban, biere, DD, name it ... if they were slacking a game I'm happy the rest of their week was uncomfortable. I couldn't care less. Being an A-hole cost him his job, but I see nothing wrong in holding players accountable.

Reactions: scrubadam

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Therrien inherited a better team, than CJ...again, thanks due to MB.

And MT got better results out of the team he inherited from the same GM.

Would rather enjoy watching the team fight and win games 2-1/3-2 then what we have seen this season.

But if its all about the team assembled then the coach doesn't make much of a difference in the end. MT was an asshole to his players. It got results, when it didn't he got fired and now he has no job. Don't really care how he interacted with his millionaire over pampered athletes, I only care about Wins and losses. Maybe if CJ was more of an asshole the team would have better results? Maybe worse results. All I know is MT being a complete asshole for 4.5 season had the habs as a top 10/top 5 team for 75% of that time. I enjoyed it a lot better. If you want to blame MB for the team sucking now that can be discussed in the MB thread.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
And MT got better results out of the team he inherited from the same GM

That's a complete and utter fallacy. Both Therrien and Bergevin inherited that team from Gauthier, but mostly Gainey.

Nobody takes you seriously anymore around here because you always come up with this sorta BS arguments.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I think most of the people here don't get how any Professionnal hockey coaches are working. They are not there to hold your hand. Most are hardass mofos. If they're not they're easily taken advantage of by players who are not all choir boys. Fact, most hockey players are hardasses themselves. Ain't not place for the weak minds. Brière, to me, acted unprofessional when throwing his former coach under the bus. I don't blame Therrien for being hard on the guy, Brière sucked when he played for the Habs. He looked out of shape, coach noticed and didn't gave him free minutes, nor favoritism. That said, I wasn't a fan of Therrien, but in my personnal experience as a player that played a high level, hardass coaches are the ones with who you have a chance to win.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Two individuals who happen to dislike each other, more news at 11.

Who cares? Both are no longer with the team anyway.

What Coach has not ripped a player? Briere's personality is exactly the same as when he played, soft and fragile.

Not saying Therrien was a good coach, but damn, this is really a nitpicking issue. Fighting is practically outlawed, next they'll outlaw hits, and now apparently yelling/critiquing players by coaches is now going to be a thing of the past too.

Soft and fragile? You must not know Daniel. A very likeable individual, but not very fragile.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

That's a complete and utter fallacy. Both Therrien and Bergevin inherited that team from Gauthier, but mostly Gainey.

Nobody takes you seriously anymore around here because you always come up with this sorta BS arguments.

This stupid inheritance argument? MT inherited a team that finished 3rd last and 18th and 14th the 3 years before.

Look none of you will ever give MT credit for anything I get it. The bias is to strong. MT was just sitting there doing nothing for 4.5 years, the minute things go bad well of course its all his fault.

Even if you hated the guy it can't be denied the team was better under him and it was a lot more fun having a team atop the standings than what we see today. I don't know why people would rather watch the team lose half its games by the 1st period than be in 2-1/3-2 nail bitters.

And I don't care if no one on here takes me seriously, as if I take those people seriously who spout the same biases BS crap and can't stop making MT/MB low hanging fruit jokes mucking up all the threads. You have the same poster crapping on MT yet they all hated Briere or Shaw or Max. MT at least had the balls to say it to those guys rather than keyboard warriors who would probably turn into little school girls if they ever meet these guys IRL.

If you are enjoying the season so be it. I preferred what we saw under MT to me it was a lot more fun to be a fan back then.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Rumour has it that Shaw took a bad penalty, and in the dressing room Therrien just went after him in front of everyone.

Pretty mild compared to the Briere thing, but it's still not something a coach should be doing in front of everyone. Embarrassment is not a good way to get the best out of your players.

That story brought up the Price one. Alledgedly, Price took Shaw's defense and Therrien barked back :"You, start by stopping the puck instead", or of that ilk. The moment Price decided he was going to get Michel's head.

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Tricolore

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Therrien would take his socks and shoes off to cut his toenails on the bus and proceed to throw the nail clippings at the bus driver's face, ears and nose. When Therrien was done clipping his toenails, he curled up into a ball on the seat and farted in the bus drivers face all the way to Quebec.
What did the bus driver do to him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad