Denver Post: The Varlamov Investigation: Part II *Read the MOD WARNING in post #1*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What's up with this?

I'm skeptical of the whole story myself, but I would imagine the "No I don't think so" was either the translator or someone saying they didn't think they could show the supposed bruises. I doubt they'd say she didn't have any.

Mant*

*******, this thread is ugly as hell.

For the record, my bias hopes Varly is clear, but you kids need a few lessons in what it means to be female in the world.

Jesus.

Everyone here would agree that *IF* he did what he's accused of, he should be punished for it. Right now there are only accusations without proof of anything. Innocent until proven guilty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I got to admit, watching the legit translation of the video from her seemed a little more believable for some reason. Seemed more natural, and cut and dry with what "happened" rather than sensationalized.

This situation sucks. I really hope Varly didn't do this.

OldSchoolAvalanche*

Everyone here would agree that *IF* he did what he's accused of, he should be punished for it. Right now there are only accusations without proof of anything. Innocent until proven guilty.

Exactly let the legal process work its way out. If he is guilty I want him punished to the full extent of the law.

There should be no excuse for her to stay with him if he really has beaten her more then once.

Ugly situation, hopefully it can get sorted out soon enough.

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
Darren dreger said yesterday that Philly was pushing for that trade for 2-3 weeks now. So philly wanted to do the trade more than the avs. That puts any speculation to rest. However the varlamov situation may have facilitated the trade just so they can get some media attention off of varly. That's the only sort of relation I see.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Darren dreger said yesterday that Philly was pushing for that trade for 2-3 weeks now. So philly wanted to do the trade more than the avs. That puts any speculation to rest. However the varlamov situation may have facilitated the trade just so they can get some media attention off of varly. That's the only sort of relation I see.

That's kind of my impression on why the Avs might have rushed it and sacrificed value from drawing out negotiations.

CatOTails

Jul 18, 2011
Latvia
Where else was she supposed to go? Your house? She lived with him. She was new to the US. He shut off her credit cards. She didn't have a job here. She probably had no knowledge of where a battered woman's shelter is.

How about calling lawyer/ambulance/police straight ahead after the beatings occurred? What she was telling is that he beat he like it was wwe Friday night smackdown. I am sure anyone would be willing to check himself for internal bleeding or broken ribs. She did it after he packed her things.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
How about calling lawyer/ambulance/police straight ahead after the beatings occurred? What she was telling is that he beat he like it was wwe Friday night smackdown. I am sure anyone would be willing to check himself for internal bleeding or broken ribs. She did it after he packed her things.

Have you ever known anyone that was a beating victim? It doesn't make an awful lot of sense to you or me, but the victim usually DOES GO BACK to the man or woman that's making their life a living hell. There's no rhyme or reason to it, but it happens. And it's a common thread in people that are victims of this crime. They accept apology, believe things are going to change, and then they go back and it ensues again. People can't believe that she went back to his apartment and all that, but it's pretty typical behavior in this situation. If the person never went back, we'd have a LOT less domestic violence.

I believe the final straw here was that he set her things outside, because she didn't know what to do. I mean you've seen the interviews - she can't obviously speak English well (if at all? I haven't seen her say more than 2 words in English). No money, no English, no real friends here to speak of except all the ones she's met through Varly.......The only one she could depend on was a Russian friend that was the lawyer's wife........I just don't see how you guys expect her to be this independent free will person that knows the standard protocol of what to do in an emergency and where to go. Most of us have lived here for 20+ years.....She's brand new to the country and can't speak English. There's a learning curve of years in there before she is fully aware of how this society works and what services are offered and where.

This whole situation is the reason violence and abuse centers are set up - so that victims have a place to go that is comfortable, can adequately take care of them, and can fill in the gaps and give some people comfort of mind that they don't have to go back - someone else can be there for them and they have a place to stay that is safe and dependable. But I also believe there's no freaking way in hell that this girl knows where those centers are.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I get that and it's certainly possible that was the final straw and he did hurt her. But we are looking at this alleged incident only and for an account of how bad he beat her and then she leaves the house to tend other things and then later on changes her mind and decides to call the police is a lot of holes to fill. Did she encounter anyone when she went out? Why didn't she ask for help then? Even if you cant speak english you can go to a public place and show enough distress to get someone to call 911. Why didn't she call her friend immediately if she was so scared and ask her to call the police? The timeline of her leaving and calling the police is going to be important, the longer the gap between the more holes they can poke in the story.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I get that and it's certainly possible that was the final straw and he did hurt her. But we are looking at this alleged incident only and for an account of how bad he beat her and then she leaves the house to tend other things and then later on changes her mind and decides to call the police is a lot of holes to fill. Did she encounter anyone when she went out? Why didn't she ask for help then? Even if you cant speak english you can go to a public place and show enough distress to get someone to call 911. Why didn't she call her friend immediately if she was so scared and ask her to call the police? The timeline of her leaving and calling the police is going to be important, the longer the gap between the more holes they can poke in the story.

I think it was nearly a full day wasn't it?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Have you ever known anyone that was a beating victim? It doesn't make an awful lot of sense to you or me, but the victim usually DOES GO BACK to the man or woman that's making their life a living hell. There's no rhyme or reason to it, but it happens. And it's a common thread in people that are victims of this crime. They accept apology, believe things are going to change, and then they go back and it ensues again. People can't believe that she went back to his apartment and all that, but it's pretty typical behavior in this situation. If the person never went back, we'd have a LOT less domestic violence.

I believe the final straw here was that he set her things outside, because she didn't know what to do. I mean you've seen the interviews - she can't obviously speak English well (if at all? I haven't seen her say more than 2 words in English). No money, no English, no real friends here to speak of except all the ones she's met through Varly.......The only one she could depend on was a Russian friend that was the lawyer's wife........I just don't see how you guys expect her to be this independent free will person that knows the standard protocol of what to do in an emergency and where to go. Most of us have lived here for 20+ years.....She's brand new to the country and can't speak English. There's a learning curve of years in there before she is fully aware of how this society works and what services are offered and where.

This whole situation is the reason violence and abuse centers are set up - so that victims have a place to go that is comfortable, can adequately take care of them, and can fill in the gaps and give some people comfort of mind that they don't have to go back - someone else can be there for them and they have a place to stay that is safe and dependable. But I also believe there's no freaking way in hell that this girl knows where those centers are.

Honestly, the more I read about the story, the more I agree with this. Certain parts of what the girl said may be exaggerated, but I don't like it for Varly.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

Like has been said. She probably left to let him cool down, and for herself to cool down. Then when she got back her stuff was out of the apartment and she decided to press charges. As I said, hearing this isn't as outlandish as I initially thought it was. I sure hope it isn't true.

And as Terry Frei said in that interview, whatever the truth is, I hope it comes out. Most likely will not but it would suck to have a question on whether or not he did it and it end up with a pay out. Would be nice to know who we actually have in net.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yes it's possible she was just going to take him back but the eviction changed her mind. My point is the timeline might be difficult enough to cover to create reasonable doubt. If she was really gone most of the day they have to have a concrete answer for every single question the defense could raise.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Who is that Terry Frei they interviewed at CBC radio?
This guy seems pretty weird/stupid to me.
Full interview -> http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/Audio/ID/2415698024/

He's probably the only decent option as far as Avalanche writers go, but he doesn't really cover the team much anymore.

He really showed his ignorance in that interview by saying McLeod's not a very gook PKer. He's developed into a very good PKer the last few years.

Also didn't look that great hearing him jump on Dater's "make Duchene captain" bandwagon. Since he admitted he doesn't follow the team closely anymore, how the hell would he know, unless he's just following Dater's lead?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It's sad when the best sports writer at your paper is Woody Paige.

Whoa now...Paige is NO WHERE NEAR the best sports writer at the Denver Post...he hardly writes for the DP anymore, and the last time he wrote about the Avs was when he was pining for the glory days....

Paige is entertaining to watch SOMETIMES on "Around The Horn", but I would not classify him as "the best sports writer for the Denver Post"...

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado

It is actually kind of a relief to hear her create a monster out of him. If somehow she is proved to be 100% correct, I won't miss him, no matter how good a goalie he is. If the situation is murky, it's hard to know. With these accusations, either one or the other is a crazy person.

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado

I totally understand this, and yes, it could fit. However, she was working as a model in Hong Kong, right? She managed to live there without a sugar daddy (I assume), and make it from there to here by herself. She seems to be able to find her way around a few continents, I think she could probably find the police station.

(Again, I'm not saying this proves anything at all ... just that I don't think she is this little helpless thing, as being portrayed.)

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Snap judgement based on little information:
I imagine the domestic violence portion of all of this is probably pretty straight forward. What I find very interesting/alarming is the kidnapping charge. That's a pretty serious charge to sling at someone. Given their (Varly + Accuser) situation, I'm curious to see how they go about prosecuting that charge.

No way that's sticking.

I'm inclined to agree. I am very curious to see how they are going to try though.

I don't know what the law is like in Colorado, but common law kidnapping includes any movement (however slight) of the victim. So if Varlamov grabbed his girlfriend by the hair and dragged her from one room to another against her will, that would be kidnapping under the common law.

Update: I did some quick research on Colorado law. The following quote is from a 1985 Colorado Supreme Court case, Apodaca v. People, 712 P.2d 467, 475 (Colo. 1985). I'm not 100% sure whether it's still good law, but I didn't see any flag on the case indicating that it's been overruled:
Section 18–3–302(1), 8 C.R.S. (1978), provides that “[a]ny person who knowingly, forcibly, or otherwise seizes and carries any person from one place to another, without [her] consent and without lawful justification, commits second degree kidnapping.” The movement of the victim necessary to sustain a second degree kidnapping conviction need not be substantial. The “incidental movement” test, which requires that the movement must be more than incidental to the commission of some other underlying offense that is related to the kidnapping, applies only to first degree kidnapping and not to second degree kidnapping. People v. Abbott, 690 P.2d 1263 (Colo.1984); People v. Bridges, 199 Colo. 520, 612 P.2d 1110 (1980). The statutory definition of second degree kidnapping merely requires “movement of the victim from one place to another,” Abbott, 690 P.2d at 1270, and this requirement is clearly satisfied when the movement itself, although short in distance, results in a demonstrable increase in risk of harm to the victim. See Yescas v. People, 197 Colo. 379, 593 P.2d 358 (1979).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad