Denver Post: The Varlamov Investigation: Part II *Read the MOD WARNING in post #1*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostofweezman

Mar 3, 2013
PNW
Yep, seems more like revenge than anything else.

To reinforce this take:
She could have just gathered her stuff and gone her very good friends' house. If the accusation that he kidnapped her and beat her was true, having her stuff packed and ready to go so she could leave would be a good thing right? :dunno:

Either way I hope the matter is dealt with quickly, and justice is served in whatever fashion it needs to be. Then its back to just being about hockey.

Coloradorov

Oct 7, 2009
Denver
Where else was she supposed to go? Your house? She lived with him. She was new to the US. He shut off her credit cards. She didn't have a job here. She probably had no knowledge of where a battered woman's shelter is.

A hotel, maybe? My.point was that she clearly does need his money, right?

Edit: what is everyones take on the nature of their relationship, based on her re-translated interview?

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The inconsistency of the bruising will be documented I'm sure in a medical report. It's unclear to us but I sure hope the truth of those claims are not unclear to the police. The timeline certainly seems weird, especially the "leaving to do personal things" but at the same time, if Varly really did beat her to the point that she's bruised over, he deserves to be punished.

Whatever happens I hope justice is served, but I really do hope Varly is innocent of anything major.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The thing about doing so much media is its clearly an attempt to discredit Varly as a person and damage his career before he has a chance to respond. And the vehicle of deliver, through Lewis and Floorwax just seems bizarre. I don't like the way this is being handled, even if Varly is guilty.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The inconsistency of the bruising will be documented I'm sure in a medical report. It's unclear to us but I sure hope the truth of those claims are not unclear to the police. The timeline certainly seems weird, especially the "leaving to do personal things" but at the same time, if Varly really did beat her to the point that she's bruised over, he deserves to be punished.

Whatever happens I hope justice is served, but I really do hope Varly is innocent of anything major.

True. Hopefully this is just ********, but It doesn't look like it.. :(

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Either way I hope the matter is dealt with quickly, and justice is served in whatever fashion it needs to be. Then its back to just being about hockey.

That doesn't seem likely.

The lawyer on The Fan said Varly will most likely be charged with something. He doesn't know if that will be a felony, misdemeanor, or both. If/when that happens, only the DA can drop the charges. Otherwise it'll go to trial which won't be for a while.

At least that's what I got out of that interview.

ghostofweezman

Mar 3, 2013
PNW
That doesn't seem likely.

The lawyer on The Fan said Varly will most likely be charged with something. He doesn't know if that will be a felony, misdemeanor, or both. If/when that happens, only the DA can drop the charges. Otherwise it'll go to trial which won't be for a while.

At least that's what I got out of that interview.

Bummer. Thanks for the info. I haven't been able to listen to or watch much of anything.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Yep, seems more like revenge than anything else.

This is the weirdest part for me.

She even said she wasn't going to the police until she saw her stuff outside.

That sort of goes with her story though. Usually woman in abusive relationships never come forward. They need the abuser, or feel they need him, and that he is to a certain extent a caregiver. Varly throwing her out after this could very well be a final straw. She could put up while he was looking after her, but if he isn't, she wants some retribution.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
A hotel, maybe? My.point was that she clearly does need his money, right?

Edit: what is everyones take on the nature of their relationship, based on her re-translated interview?

Hotel rooms aren't given out for free.

He cut off her credit card. She has no other source of income. She doesn't work or anything.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That sort of goes with her story though. Usually woman in abusive relationships never come forward. They need the abuser, or feel they need him, and that he is to a certain extent a caregiver. Varly throwing her out after this could very well be a final straw. She could put up while he was looking after her, but if he isn't, she wants some retribution.

Yeah I understand that. I'm just saying from a case standpoint that's a lot of holes to fill in.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Interpreter: They just want to take a picture of us all together.

Interpreter: Just say whatever you want. You can talk about the weather.

what the hell is that?

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
And I don't know how someone can drink from 2pm to 6am and not suffer some sort of alcohol poisoning, or the worst hangover of their lives the following morning. Surely that much alcohol being consumed, as she tells it, would still be in someone's blood stream, why not take a sample?

It still seems very strange to me.

It's pretty absurd for an NHL player who has to wake up and go practice the next day and that kinda drinking in my experience doesn't just randomly happen. Dunno how an NHL goaltender pulls that off. As for alcohol poisoning I wouldn't go that far, a good chunk of kids 18-23 have wild nights like that on the norm. Especially on holidays. Heck alot of people do 8-9 to 6am on the weekend, but not an NHL player during the season.

Sample is a good call, dunno how that works or if you can tell the exact amount. I know when your hungover the next day you can blow over driving home at like 9 in the morning but a week or two later? Either way excessive drinking shouldn't be hard to prove, even one wild night. Somebody would have had to noticed just how intoxicated he was from 2pm to 6am.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
It's pretty absurd for an NHL player who has to wake up and go practice the next day and that kinda drinking in my experience doesn't just randomly happen. Dunno how an NHL goaltender pulls that off. As for alcohol poisoning I wouldn't go that far, a good chunk of kids 18-23 have wild nights like that on the norm. Especially on holidays. Heck alot of people do 8-9 to 6am on the weekend, but not an NHL player during the season.

Sample is a good call, dunno how that works or if you can tell the exact amount. I know when your hungover the next day you can blow over driving home at like 9 in the morning but a week or two later? Either way excessive drinking shouldn't be hard to prove, even one wild night. Somebody would have had to noticed just how intoxicated he was from 2pm to 6am.

I worked with this stuff for 5.5 years. An average adult human male would take 12 hours for his BAC to go from .200 to 0. If Varly indeed doesn't drink[often]and had this kind of binge, even being above average height and weight, he would still take 12 or so hours to get back down to 0.

As for being able to test for it, breath is the shortest at about 12-24 hours. There's a test for EtG in the system that is supposed to verify alcohol in the system up to 80 hours after the fact, but i've found these to be extremely inaccurate. They're accurate for up to about 48 hours, though.

I have a hard time believing he'd be able to hide any kind of alcoholism. It's a disease, that like a lot of addictions, a person has a hard time controlling. I'd think a teammate would have seen him drink or gotten belligerently drunk a few times if this were the case. He'd have an extremely difficult time controlling his urges around teammates when they go out if this were the case.

avspatti

Dec 1, 2003
Colorado
Visit site

I read on another board a post by a Russian speaker who stated that the 'translator' was leaving out some things that the woman actually said. Anyone here know?

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I read on another board a post by a Russian speaker who stated that the 'translator' was leaving out some things that the woman actually said. Anyone here know?

Yeah it is on the DP website. There is a link on the previous page.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago

what the hell is that?

I'm guessing they wanted to take a picture for the paper/online where it looks like they're engaged in the interview.

squirrelbait

Oct 28, 2010

what the hell is that?

The camera guys needed some general overlay of the scene, it didn't matter what anyone would be talking about as it was what they call B-roll and would be used underneath a reporters voice over. (I work in TV :) )

As for the new translation, I've been waiting to get a clearler idea about the timeline of events. If you take the new translation and the police report released by the denver post - according to the alleged victim and her friend the timeline was this:

Varly Drinking from 2pm - 6am
Comes home at 6am on the 28th. The assault happens when he gets home, so shortly after 6am on the 28th.
Later on the 28th her friend comes over, does makeup. Notes that there are no bruises on her chest. Victim tells friend she is concerned about Varly's drinking and is worried he will hit her.
On the 29th Victim calls friend, says Varly beat her.
Friend goes over and sees bruises on victims chest.

Either they were mistaken on dates, or they haven't got their story straight.

Someone set me straight if I've misread these statements?

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
The camera guys needed some general overlay of the scene, it didn't matter what anyone would be talking about as it was what they call B-roll and would be used underneath a reporters voice over. (I work in TV :) )

As for the new translation, I've been waiting to get a clearler idea about the timeline of events. If you take the new translation and the police report released by the denver post - according to the alleged victim and her friend the timeline was this:

Varly Drinking from 2pm - 6am
Comes home at 6am on the 28th
. The assault happens when he gets home, so shortly after 6am on the 28th.
Later on the 28th her friend comes over, does makeup. Notes that there are no bruises on her chest. Victim tells friend she is concerned about Varly's drinking and is worried he will hit her.
On the 29th Victim calls friend, says Varly beat her.
Friend goes over and sees bruises on victims chest.

Either they were mistaken on dates, or they haven't got their story straight.

Someone set me straight if I've misread these statements?

No, there was a game in the middle of that 2 pm-6am stretch (6 pm on 10/27 vs winnipeg). It would have had to be 2 pm 10/28 to 6 am 10/29. Makeup comes over on 28, and notes that there are no bruises (ie, establishing that bruising had to occur post-10/28). Bruises are apparent the next time they see each other.

Does it seem like she is trying to set up some sort of situation where "He is so drunk he doesn't even know what he is doing, doesn't remember it" thus even if he is "telling the truth" it doesn't matter. Did I explain that right? "Of course you don't think you beat me, you can't remember any of it!"

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Can't wait to talk to my Russian friends tomorrow. They speak Russian fluently and are well engrained in the Denver Russian community. Hoping they got some answers for me.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
*******, this thread is ugly as hell.

For the record, my bias hopes Varly is clear, but you kids need a few lessons in what it means to be female in the world.
Jesus.

Last edited by a moderator:

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
What do you guys think of the rumour on the main board about Downie and Varlamov's girl leading to this situation.

Personally I think that's crap.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
What do you guys think of the rumour on the main board about Downie and Varlamov's girl leading to this situation.

Personally I think that's crap.

Not even worth discussing. Idiots on the internet making **** up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad