OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 200: Where does the time go?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
When it's not a hockey-centric discussion, we tend to have very similar views.

I absolutely agree with the bolded statement. As with everything we encounter as people, every single situation has to be treated as a single, unique situation. We must use critical thinking and come to our own conclusions based on real, unbiased research and the culmination of our experiences for each situation we encounter in our lives. There is never a "one size fits all" solution. This is no exception. Far too often people jump straight to a conclusion based on a headline, a statement, or a single observation. Or else they tow a party line or parrot a figure they hold in high esteem for questionable reasons. My frustration with the laziness of people doing so is only surpassed by the arrogance in which the paper thin arguments are presented and the stance so staunchly and close-mindedly defended.

This is not directed at anyone, by the way. It's a general rant. I don't have to agree with someone to respect their opinion. If you can present to me an argument that shows you've actually spent more than 2 seconds reading a headline I'll listen, process, and use that information to adjust my view on the subject. I may not end up changing my view, but I may change it completely. Regardless, I will respect your opinion. Unfortunately, it's exceptionally rare that I have a discussion on any topic where a real discussion is had. It's honestly a terrible shame.

I don't know if it is just simply those derogatory adjectives, I think we have too many voices and too many outlets that let any voice be heard. I don't think that is a good thing.

If you put 20 people in a room and task them with a problem to solve, you'll get a level of cooperation. You'll most likely get a solution that best fits their needs also.
But today we have all these voices chiming in with no vested interested or understanding of the nuances from every corner of the earth.

My mind has always been blown listening to people talk about issues they have absolutely no idea what any of the details are. From a police shooting to a Congressional bill...We all watched a 20-something year old white college girl talk about African wildlife in Zimbabwe right? She apparently knows how they should conduct their game management. Scientist, game officials, local politicians and land owners...Not so much.

Watch 30 seconds of video and comment....Comment positively or negatively...thoughtfully or not but you've got to comment! Because it is a game its fun. That is why there is a comment section on every single news or media outlet there is.

Because today, the issues are entertainment. We've all become spectators in the Coliseum and the issues are the gladiators that we can cheer or jeer. It doesn't even mean anything at the end of the day if the gladiator lives or dies, we were entertained for a short while until the next gladiator enters the arena.

Look we even have an emoticon here that proves this - :popcorn:

So I don't think we are staunchly close-minded or arrogant. It is entertainment and these vestibules of media let us participate in the fun and everybody is doing it.

BTW, this is why all politics should be kept local.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Interesting discussion going on. Local politics/development in developing countries is the only way places like Africa are going to get out of the turmoil and start developing economically.

When we have foreign solutions to local problems things get worse. If you go to the jungle in Cameroon you have bulldozers covered in vines will a shovel built by villages does a 10x better job because local technology and experience is insanely valuable. While all intervention is seemingly good natured, Western/foreign ideas/tech are usually worse and pretty much never solve the problem at hand.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Thinking about building a headboard this weekend. Any advice?

Just going to take different sized planks of pine, that I'll stain, glued against a piece of plywood with 2x6s for legs.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Thinking about building a headboard this weekend. Any advice?

Just going to take different sized planks of pine, that I'll stain, glued against a piece of plywood with 2x6s for legs.

i best not dare tread down this path of my "mind in the gutter" :laugh:

best advice is i guess though is….make it sturdy

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Foodtown. But I imagine every food store has em in stock.

Just get the Jersey peaches. Probably won't be organic. The perfectness of them probably wont last long either.

I went to Shop Rite last night looking for Jersey Peaches and they did not have any.
Only Tree Ripe or California, and neither looked good.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Fun Fact: Peaches used to be one of New Jersey's top agricultural crops.

Looks like it still is. http://jerseyfresh.nj.gov/facts/

As of 2014, Peaches ranked #4 in terms of $$$. #3 in terms of acreage alotted.

Blueberries, run away winner near $80 mil. tomatoes a distant 2nd at $38 mil. Though tomatoes have a better $ per acreage ratio.

That is of coarse if you want to believe the gov't.:sarcasm:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Looks like it still is. http://jerseyfresh.nj.gov/facts/

As of 2014, Peaches ranked #4 in terms of $$$. #3 in terms of acreage alotted.

Blueberries, run away winner near $80 mil. tomatoes a distant 2nd at $38 mil. Though tomatoes have a better $ per acreage ratio.

That is of coarse if you want to believe the gov't.:sarcasm:

Interesting, I would never have guessed that!

I'm also surprised eggplant isn't listed, for some reason I thought New Jersey was very high on the list of eggplant producers.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Interesting, I would never have guessed that!

I'm also surprised eggplant isn't listed, for some reason I thought New Jersey was very high on the list of eggplant producers.

Plenty of people do grow them in their home garden's that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad