OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 190: Terrorists, Wild Trout, Microbeers, and Stuff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Is the serial number like a model number or just the chronological number of the bow of that model made?

On that particular bow I believe the serial number is a concatenation of the year and number of the bow...Hoyt typically goes something like 74305...1974 and the 305 bow made that year.

But some of the models used a lettering system that represented the model...Like PM2505 -- The PM was a Pro Medalist, they used this system on their higher end bows, in this instance the year is the last digit so a PM2505 would have been made in 1965.

The serial numbers systems for Hoyt changed over the years and models, but the basic idea is usually the same for all their bows.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So at the shoot I went to this weekend there was a "Zombie Target"...Afterwards at the clubhouse a huge debate broke out over whether or not it was proper/ethical to have human form targets...

IMG_20130427_101508_474_zps2b01f689.jpg

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
On that particular bow I believe the serial number is a concatenation of the year and number of the bow...Hoyt typically goes something like 74305...1974 and the 305 bow made that year.

But some of the models used a lettering system that represented the model...Like PM2505 -- The PM was a Pro Medalist, they used this system on their higher end bows, in this instance the year is the last digit so a PM2505 would have been made in 1965.

The serial numbers systems for Hoyt changed over the years and models, but the basic idea is usually the same for all their bows.

Mine says SR363 on it. So I guess the 'S' stands for Scout, the 'R' I'm guessing stands for recurve maybe, and perhaps it's the 363rd bow of that model made or it was made in 1963.

So at the shoot I went to this weekend there was a "Zombie Target"...Afterwards at the clubhouse a huge debate broke out over whether or not it was proper/ethical to have human form targets..

As I said, the puszification of New Jersey.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Well just from a common sense point of view, I don't think any outdoor target range should be using mannequin targets (zombie or otherwise). An outline on paper is one thing and fine, but when you start using something that resembles an actual person, you're asking for a tragic accident somewhere down the line.

To their credit, at least these were just the torso planted into the ground and not full standing figures.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
On a future episode of Criminal Minds... a serial killer buries bodies half way and has innocent target range attendees actually do the killing.

Could work.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I don't think any outdoor target range should be using mannequin targets (zombie or otherwise). An outline on paper is one thing and fine, but when you start using something that resembles an actual person, you're asking for a tragic accident somewhere down the line..

I don't know where he was shooting, but I guarantee you those buried figurines are "down range", so there'd really be no more reason for an accident to occur. Personally I think it's silly though, I'd rather shoot a paper target that shows me how well I'm shooting or a metal spinner (or other) that gives me audible feedback on whether I hit or missed.

EDIT: Clearly the compromise solution is zombie paper targets.

killertargets_zombie.jpg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Mine says SR363 on it. So I guess the 'S' stands for Scout, the 'R' I'm guessing stands for recurve maybe, and perhaps it's the 363rd bow of that model made or it was made in 1963.

SR is probably Scout Recurve...The last 3 is most likely 73 as in 1973. I didn't think they used that system on those bows. I'm almost positive that bow was made entirely in the 1970's. Interestingly enough that Alpha-numeric number system is more of 1960's system...

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I didn't care much for the zombie targets...I much more prefer the traditional animal targets.

Last edited:

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
I don't know where he was shooting, but I guarantee you those buried figurines are "down range", so there'd really be no more reason for an accident to occur. Personally I think it's silly though, I'd rather shoot a paper target that shows me how well I'm shooting or a metal spinner (or other) that gives me audible feedback on whether I hit or missed.

EDIT: Clearly the compromise solution is zombie paper targets.

killertargets_zombie.jpg

You gotta go get the arrows at some point and some ranges have multiple stations next to each other - that was my point really, what if you're going out on the range and somebody mistakes a person for a mannequin target? I think every year someone sticks a target deer out at the edge of a field waiting to see how many shots it gets even when out of season. It never fails.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You gotta go get the arrows at some point and some ranges have multiple stations next to each other - that was my point really, what if you're going out on the range and somebody mistakes a person for a mannequin target? I think every year someone sticks a target deer out at the edge of a field waiting to see how many shots it gets even when out of season. It never fails.

They do this in New Jersey to catch poachers.

But archery accidents are almost nonexistent...It's such a close range game (relatively speaking) and requires so much more deliberate action than just pulling a trigger that mistaken identity is really unheard of.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
You gotta go get the arrows at some point and some ranges have multiple stations next to each other - that was my point really, what if you're going out on the range and somebody mistakes a person for a mannequin target?

I dont know how archery ranges work, I'm only familiar with firearms. But on a gun range, whenever anyone needs to go down range to replace or retrieve targets, everyone at every stall must unload their weapon(s) and place it down, then everyone must state as such that they're unloaded and weapons are down and the range is not "hot". Only once everyone has been cleared this way is the person(s) permitted to walk out onto the range. So there's no reason for anyone to be mistaken for a target, because you're not allowed to shoot while there's even an opportunity for anyone to be out on a live range in the first place.

I think every year someone sticks a target deer out at the edge of a field waiting to see how many shots it gets even when out of season. It never fails.

In some states the police and F&G wardens do this to catch poachers; I know they do it in NJ (or at least used to) and up in VT.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Interesting. I have no problem with the zombie targets. Their attempt to keep up with the times and add some variety. Zombies coming out of the ground is good stuff

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
I dont know how archery ranges work, I'm only familiar with firearms. But on a gun range, whenever anyone needs to go down range to replace or retrieve targets, everyone at every stall must unload their weapon(s) and place it down, then everyone must state as such that they're unloaded and weapons are down and the range is not "hot". Only once everyone has been cleared this way is the person(s) permitted to walk out onto the range. So there's no reason for anyone to be mistaken for a target, because you're not allowed to shoot while there's even an opportunity for anyone to be out on a live range in the first place.

In some states the police and F&G wardens do this to catch poachers; I know they do it in NJ (or at least used to) and up in VT.

I went to a gun range in KY that scared the bejeezus out of me. When I heard about the little girl that was firing a fully automatic tripod mounted machine gun and it tipped over and people got hurt, I imagined in my mind it was the same range. I can't speak from experience though, just from a philosophical "best practice" type of common sense. I'm sure there are appalling practices on some ranges just as there are exceptional practices on others. Kind of like don't park your car at the golf course in the space right behind the par 4 approach shot on number 8... you're just asking for trouble.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I went to a gun range in KY that scared the bejeezus out of me. When I heard about the little girl that was firing a fully automatic tripod mounted machine gun and it tipped over and people got hurt, I imagined in my mind it was the same range. I can't speak from experience though, just from a philosophical "best practice" type of common sense. I'm sure there are appalling practices on some ranges just as there are exceptional practices on others.

Personally I doubt there are many truly appalling ranges. Gun hobbyists and sportsman take safety extremely seriously. It's the #1 concern (as it should be). I think if there was a chronically unsafe range, it would close simply due to lack of customers since nobody would want to be there. I've definitely seen some unsafe people at the range - usually newbies, and I've even seen someone kicked off a range once for twice obliviously sweeping the stalls, but I genuinely dont think safety is a major concern at gun ranges in this country. That said I met a guy once who wore body armor at the range because he was afraid of beginner handgunners who dont yet know what they're doing.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
2k1mj7.jpg

new ride :yo:

didnt lease, cut my monthly payments on the old car in half. feelsgoodman

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What a terribly busy morning...I don't like busy mornings. Especially when I'm busy solely because I forgot to something last week.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad