OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Anyone using the Stylish skin for Chrome having issues with all bolded threads or not distinguishing either way that you've read the updated threads? On my phone I have the original all white and it shows the threads with unread posts as bolded and the ones I read unbolded (the way it should be).

The guy who wrote it updated it late last night and fixed the Bold issue. You can try re-installing the style (I'm not sure exactly how - I ended up cut/pasting it). As far as I know, he's still tweaking it, so you may want to check back on his site from time to time.

Reactions: JK3

rrekaj13

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
I feel like comments are going to be less content based and more fishing for likes.

This is almost definitely going to happen. We're already polarized enough - now we're incentivized to take harder stances.

On the other hand, many posters (like myself) consume more passively and don't necessarily chime in on every discussion, but throwing a like here or there will definitely enable us to interact more frequently

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
The guy who wrote it updated it late last night and fixed the Bold issue. You can try re-installing the style (I'm not sure exactly how - I ended up cut/pasting it). As far as I know, he's still tweaking it, so you may want to check back on his site from time to time.
Had a little trouble reinstalling it but it's working great now, thanks.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Crisis averted, at least on my end. I tried seeing if my IT friend at work here could add an exception to the rule, but he couldn't do it...so I'd imagine the forum admins had seen the complaint enough that it's been fixed.

So it's not being blocked anymore for you? It's still getting blocked here (it works fine if I turn wi-fi off and use my mobile data instead), but then that could just be my work's shitty network.

It's almost like the state wants their employees to work rather than sitting on their asses and reading hockey message boards.:sarcasm:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's pretty easy to fix that bold issue. I have to look through the code again, but I changed the color of the thread titles to a grey color and bolded threads with new posts while unbolding threads with no unread posts. Makes things much more visible and recognizable. I tried messing with color use to distinguish read and unread posts, as well as size, but they both end up too busy looking.

Anyway, I got randomly promoted at work yesterday. I honestly wasn't expecting it to happen for a while, so it was a really nice surprise. Plus, Supplier Quality Engineer sounds so much better than my previous technician title :)

Reactions: BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Saugus is still 6th in total post count even though he hasn't been actively posting for like 3 years lol

I dont understand how he accomplished that. He must have been addicted to HFBoards like a heroin addict.

EDIT: And if I'm understanding this correctly, the #1 most prolific HFBoards poster joined in 2008 and has over a quarter of a million posts? Huh? Let me retreat to Excel and work that out.

EDIT#2: Okay, so that's approximately 79 posts per hour over the last 9 years, without taking any breaks for vacation etc.... Assuming 7 hours of sleep per day, it's like 102 posts per hour non-stop. I'm going to have to assume its' a bot?

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm still having trouble getting the hang of multi-quoting on this new format. It's like I'll click it, and then nothing happens or it just quotes only one of the quoted posts.
Ok this just cracked me up because it's either new in the migration or I never noticed before, but were the gender choices under personal details always male, female, or.....metrosexual? :laugh:
I have been called Metrosexual by quite a few people, but I think they're misusing the word. I'm usually called this, because I possess several feminine qualities. Such as keeping a very clean house, no bachelor smell or mess in here, outside of having a lot of clutter and years of useless stuff in the closets and sometimes neatly pushed to the side in the rooms. I also have a pretty high pitched voice, which is sometimes confused for a woman's over a phone or a drive thru speaker. I sometimes also get hit on by men, which is fine and a compliment all the same, I'm just not into men in that way. My neighbors must definitely think I'm gay, due to lack of female's hanging around here, and quite a few men coming over to hang out all the time. I can't remember the last female I had over here, outside of my buddy's wife, when he and his family were staying here for Irma LOL.

I love how my occupation is carpenter, which hasn't technically been true since 2011.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I'm still having trouble getting the hang of multi-quoting on this new format. It's like I'll click it, and then nothing happens or it just quotes only one of the quoted posts.

I have been called Metrosexual by quite a few people, but I think they're misusing the word. I'm usually called this, because I possess several feminine qualities. Such as keeping a very clean house, no bachelor smell or mess in here, outside of having a lot of clutter and years of useless stuff in the closets and sometimes neatly pushed to the side in the rooms. I also have a pretty high pitched voice, which is sometimes confused for a woman's over a phone or a drive thru speaker. I sometimes also get hit on by men, which is fine and a compliment all the same, I'm just not into men in that way. My neighbors must definitely think I'm gay, due to lack of female's hanging around here, and quite a few men coming over to hang out all the time. I can't remember the last female I had over here, outside of my buddy's wife, when he and his family were staying here for Irma LOL.

I love how my occupation is carpenter, which hasn't technically been true since 2011.

You never cease to amaze me Bleed. I'm reading your last paragraph going... how is he about to segway this metrosexual reference into a story about himself.... but there you go :laugh: (still using my shorthand for smileys cause I want to). One day, I would like to meet you and reenact the scene from Rainman where the 2 brothers are coming down the elevator. In all seriousness, I love your personal stories and the fact that your open to sharing them.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Just figuring out how to "multi-quote" and needed two short quotes
Nothing to see here folks....move along !

How do you do it? I've hit reply and it quotes that person but I've also hit quote and nothing. Do you have to hit quote on however many people you want to involve and then hit reply on the last person you want to quote?

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Ripshot43
I click on "quote" under each quote I want to respond to, then at the bottom of the page at the left lower corner is a grey box that says "insert quotes" I click that and all the quotes appear in my response box. I am using a pc with windows 7 if that matters? I guess a lot of you are using phone apps

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

I got/still sometimes get the same thing, but mostly because I always tried to dress sort-of fashionable and also a few more feminine traits (An aptitude for writing poetry, an appreciation of aromas, etc). I don't think metrosexual has been a "thing" for a few years, though. Think it peaked with "Queer Eye" shows and stuff.

I noticed in the profile that you can select whatever gender you want, and more than one. So I am male, female, metrosexual, and "none of your business". I am basically a formless void that exists to rant on a hockey message board. It's nice.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
i would never be called a metrosexual

havent shaved in 4 months or cut my hair since i went full taxi driver in june of '16

and i sure as hell dont dress fashionable

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
So the place I've gone apple picking since I was in diapers started charging a $2 per person ADMISSION fee to pick apples this year! I've never heard of such a thing in my life.

A father, mother, and 3 kids, and it will cost you $10 just for the "privilege" of being their free labor and paying to pick apples in your orchard. I left on principal. I know about 3,481 other places in Hunterdon County and around there to pick apples.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
So the place I've gone apple picking since I was in diapers started charging a $2 per person ADMISSION fee to pick apples this year! I've never heard of such a thing in my life.

A father, mother, and 3 kids, and it will cost you $10 just for the "privilege" of being their free labor and paying to pick apples in your orchard. I left on principal. I know about 3,481 other places in Hunterdon County and around there to pick apples.

The farm I went to today also charged $2 admission to those over 5.

I'm not happy about it but it was a 45 minute drive and their apples are delicious.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The farm I went to today also charged $2 admission to those over 5.

I'm not happy about it but it was a 45 minute drive and their apples are delicious.

There really is a huge difference between freshly picked apples and store bought ones. I suppose it's the same with most things though.

Times are a changing. There's a few places near me that charge an admission fee before you even actually go pick which is just silly to me.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You never cease to amaze me Bleed. I'm reading your last paragraph going... how is he about to segway this metrosexual reference into a story about himself.... but there you go :laugh: (still using my shorthand for smileys cause I want to). One day, I would like to meet you and reenact the scene from Rainman where the 2 brothers are coming down the elevator. In all seriousness, I love your personal stories and the fact that your open to sharing them.
Thanks, I do appreciate that!

I'm actually a pretty private person sometimes. I don't use Facebook or other social media. If I did, I probably would make few updates. This is actually the only forum where I've shared some stories about myself. I made the mistake of telling some toxic relatives (who I've cut all ties with) my username on here years ago, so I sometimes get the feeling they may be E-stalking me (LOL) on here, since they have no other access to contact me. I haven't blocked their numbers, but knowing them, they would be subtle and try to snoop around in secret. I actually don't even remember their numbers, since it's been 2.5 years of no contact, and I've gotten a new phone since then, without saving the contacts.

I can't even remember the last time I've watched Rain Man! I wish I could remember the scenes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad