The team that tanked the most aggressively got Bedard.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Fans may not care about fines that large but owners do.
Doubt it. Not when the franchise is sitting like 40 mil under the cap with no reason to spend next year. The Bedard win means no reason to go batty for 23-24, so between the two seasons the club saves about 75 million. In fact it was probably part of the “agreement” before the fine was levied.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I have a friend who works for an NBA franchise. He once heard an owner wanting to sue because he claimed it was rigged, some of the ping pong balls had helium so they would bounce higher and others were painted with heavy lead paint to keep them down.

The issue is not the NHL it's the owners. They are never going to agree to a lottery system that may come back and bite them.

The reason this lottery is a big issue is because, IMHO, it seems so slimy that a team embroiled in scandal wins the lottery after tanking to get what appears to be a generational player to help drive ratings in year 2 of the TV contract in the US that was trending down by around 20%.

Thus keeping said player in the limelight of a popular team in the Central Time zone, and away from Canada, 3 West Coast teams and a team nobody watches, Columbus.

For some it fit too perfectly for Bettman and the NHL's US TV market.

I sincerely don’t understand why the “after tanking” part matters here at all. What did Anaheim do differently? How is Columbus’ way of losing, if you admire that, supposed to influence the ping pong balls?

The NHL could have taken Chicago’s 2023 1st away from them in October 2021 but they didn’t. If you wished they did, fine.

Saying too perfect for the 3rd seed in the lottery to win so it couldn’t have just happened is nonsensical.

Did the NHL care about US TV ratings when they sent McDavid to Edmonton and Eichel to Buffalo?

Did the NHL care about US TV ratings when they sent Matthews to Toronto?

If they cared so much about major TV markets why didn’t Philly get the 1OA in 2017 or the Rangers get the 1OA in 2019 instead of NJ?

Buffalo is the 54th largest media market in the US, why did the NHL give them multiple 1OAs? Why did Edmonton get 4 1OAs again, including McDavid?

Just because you don’t like the results doesn’t mean the NHL did anything to make it happen. You’re gut feelings on this isn’t proof of anything.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Arizona started the year off with a 14/game road trip.. they won at the start , and then went on a losing streak…. Their home record was better than some teams that made the playoffs.

as much as the a lot of the fans wanted them to lose.. they weren’t tanking. If they were tanking they would have kept Rick Toccet as the coach..
really? what did they do to improve last off season? All they did was take on big contracts (Weber, Voracek on top off Ladd and Little) and went into the season with one of the worst teams on paper including Vejmelka as their #1.

If there was a team that was CLEARLY tanking going into the is season it was Arizona and Chicago. Lets not be naive here.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Blue Jackets kept inserting former leaf joke in net , that was going too far .
Before you throw shade about another team do some research. Elvis was out hurt and just now recovered. Tarasov was out hurt and they traded Korpi because his contract expired in July. We received Quick as part of the Korpi trade and he wanted to play for a contender so he was traded to Vegas for Hutch and a pick.

Reactions: Viqsi

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
The NHL punished the Blackhawks for this with a 2m fine, but they just fined them without taking any picks away.

Fans don’t care about the team’s money so big fines don’t mean as much as a 1st Round pick so in retrospect that was probably a mistake.

If this was worthy of a 2m fine then taking away a 1st was definitely in the conversation too.

With Arizona, they took picks away but actually cut them a break with fines because of their financial situation, and also their new owner had just come on right before COVID.

The club could had technically been individually fined for every single prospect they tested and there were ~20 kids. It would have been a sizable amount, since the fine is “no less than $250k”.

View attachment 706104
[…]
View attachment 706107
View attachment 706109View attachment 706110
View attachment 706111View attachment 706112View attachment 706113View attachment 706114View attachment 706115

This right here is why I absolutely hate that the Hawks won the lotto. They should have forfeit the pick this year the same as Arizona in 2021 and been levied a much bigger fine than 2 million.

What a joke.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
This right here is why I absolutely hate that the Hawks won the lotto. They should have forfeit the pick this year the same as Arizona in 2021 and been levied a much bigger fine than 2 million.

What a joke.
Just watch. They won't be able to build much next year either even if they want to. And they will be picking in the top 5 again. Hell, they could get the number one pick again.

That's just how fate works. It delivers the most pain to the most amount of people as possible. They will pick in the top 5 next year, and Connor Hellebuyck will find his way there. And this will make the Teows/Kane era look meh average.

Putt Pirate

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 15, 2015

What a joke.
Keep that hate until we win a few more cups with Bedard.

Hawks fans enjoy the hate. We just don't enjoy stupid. Like complaining about something a year ago JUST because we won the lottery. News flash.....Hawks fans didn't set the penalty the NHL did. Go bitch there. But the Dumbs would still think it is rigged like they did for McD. Just enjoy the $ spiggot and cap increases as we improve.

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Per Bedard every time the Ducks lost a game McTavish was texting him about how glad they were when they lost

#Tanking amirite

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
So what is the league going to do next year when 10 teams are competing to see how badly they can trash their rosters for 3/4 of the season ? There will still be a couple delusional management teams next year who wont tank. But still. Clearly tanking works. The harder the tank the better.

This idea that the lottery is preventing tanking is ridiculous.
I sort of thought Tim Murray's experience was the always the contrary to this theory. You want proof? Where is Tim Murray now?

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
So what is the league going to do next year when 10 teams are competing to see how badly they can trash their rosters for 3/4 of the season ? There will still be a couple delusional management teams next year who wont tank. But still. Clearly tanking works. The harder the tank the better.

This idea that the lottery is preventing tanking is ridiculous.
Yzerman should have left well enough alone.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Per Bedard every time the Ducks lost a game McTavish was texting him about how glad they were when they lost

#Tanking amirite
i would say so, yes.

Knowing that, its good he never went there. If there is a team he might pull a Tkachuk on, it would be the Hawks. Not the Ducks

Keep that hate until we win a few more cups with Bedard.

Hawks fans enjoy the hate. We just don't enjoy stupid. Like complaining about something a year ago JUST because we won the lottery. News flash.....Hawks fans didn't set the penalty the NHL did. Go bitch there. But the Dumbs would still think it is rigged like they did for McD. Just enjoy the $ spiggot and cap increases as we improve.
Well you are just a horse shoes team. Absolute garbage till the ping pong balls deliver.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007

#Tanking amirite
Yeah I recall hearing this and thinking how dumb do you have to be to make this info public. Further, how did the NHL no take immediate action?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
After the deadline that Hawks roster was just brutal . Maybe the worst i've ever seen. Seth Jones and a bunch of randos pretty much

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
After the deadline that Hawks roster was just brutal . Maybe the worst i've ever seen. Seth Jones and a bunch of randos pretty much
Everyone can say that but as a whole with less talent than the teams around them they sure as hell played better than the ducks, jackets, in every one of those games. You don’t fluke your way to beating to beating all of Boston, Pittsburgh, Calgary, Ottawa, Toronto, Dallas, and Nashville all in a convincing fashion to close out the season.

It’s really telling how Richardson got a team with no talent playing better competitive hockey than a team with 2 star players already. If there was a mini tournament for first overall I have zero doubt hawks outwork any other bottom team and still win

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Everyone can say that but as a whole with less talent than the teams around them they sure as hell played better than the ducks, jackets, in every one of those games. You don’t fluke your way to beating to beating all of Boston, Pittsburgh, Calgary, Ottawa, Toronto, Dallas, and Nashville all in a convincing fashion to close out the season.

It’s really telling how Richardson got a team with no talent playing better competitive hockey than a team with 2 star players already. If there was a mini tournament for first overall I have zero doubt hawks outwork any other bottom team and still win

Some of those were pre-deadline. The win against the Stars was with Domi and Kane still on the Hawks who scored all goals for them that game.

After the deadline they won against 1 playoff team . That win against Boston.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Some of those were pre-deadline. The win against the Stars was with Domi and Kane still on the Hawks who scored all goals for them that game.

It was nearly 2 playoff teams, but the Hawks knocked the Pens out. It's weird when you think about what that Hawks win against Pittsburgh in the 2nd to last game did. Us Hawks fans thought it was costing us our best shot at Bedard. That ended up working out.

But it also knocked the Pens out of the playoffs and put Florida in the playoffs, and here they are in the conference finals now.

Meanwhile, the Ducks lost their last 13 games to secure the worst record in the league. You don't lose 13 in a row by accident.

Reactions: shakes the clown

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It was nearly 2 playoff teams, but the Hawks knocked the Pens out. It's weird when you think about what that Hawks win against Pittsburgh in the 2nd to last game did. Us Hawks fans thought it was costing us our best shot at Bedard. That ended up working out.

But it also knocked the Pens out of the playoffs and put Florida in the playoffs, and here they are in the conference finals now.

Meanwhile, the Ducks lost their last 13 games to secure the worst record in the league. You don't lose 13 in a row by accident.

Many of the players on the Hawks clearly tried ( fighting for another NHL job and all that ) but that was one of the worst rosters assembled roster in modern NHL history after the deadline. The topscorer on the Hawks that ended the season there had 40 points.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Many of the players on the Hawks clearly tried ( fighting for another NHL job and all that ) but that was one of the worst rosters assembled roster in modern NHL history after the deadline. The topscorer on the Hawks that ended the season there had 40 points.
I would agree if someone said Davidson tanked the hardest of all gm's. But the players and coaching staff for the Hawks clearly put an effort out that exceeded the other teams that were in serious contention for the #1 pick.

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

A simple look at where every one of those teams finished shows they were all a win away from making the playoffs amongst those that missed save for Ottawa but we also dropped the hammer on them earlier

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Of course a team unlikely to win it was going to win it. Every team was unlikely to win the lottery as no team had better than a 50% chance to win it. I suppose when someone rolls a 6-sided die they should think the outcome was rigged because gosh darnit that number had only a 1/6 chance of coming up.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah I recall hearing this and thinking how dumb do you have to be to make this info public. Further, how did the NHL no take immediate action?
Hockey players from different teams text eachother about how they're doing and their reactions to same all the time. Unless McTavish is acting under orders from the Ducks front office (IMO unlikely), while that may be cringeworthy I don't think it'd be against the rules.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

Considering the Sabres finished last not too long ago with a 10 game win streak facing several playoff teams you can totally fluke your way to wins especially when half of those teams had their playoff matchups setup for a few months lmao.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad