The team that tanked the most aggressively got Bedard.

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
There were a lot of teams going all in on a tank. Hell, Anaheim lost 11 in a row to end the season.

Singling out Chicago for tanking the hardest is an interesting take. I don’t disagree that they tanked hard but can’t say they did a better or worse job than the other teams in the top 5

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
There were a lot of teams going all in on a tank. Hell, Anaheim lost 11 in a row to end the season.

Singling out Chicago is interesting. I don’t disagree that they tanked hard but can’t say they did a better or worse job than the other teams in the top 5

We nearly won probably 8 of those by pulling our goalie and scrambling at the last second. Anybody who cites that losing streak as proof that we were trying hard to tank clearly did not watch those games. They were heart-pounding for fans like me who wanted them to lose.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
So what is the league going to do next year when 10 teams are competing to see how badly they can trash their rosters for 3/4 of the season ? There will still be a couple delusional management teams next year who wont tank. But still. Clearly tanking works. The harder the tank the better.

This idea that the lottery is preventing tanking is ridiculous.
Arizona was just as aggressive and they got 6th

its math and probability.... when they had the odds more spread out the Rangers won 2 lotteries as the 15th worst and 7th worst team. How was that better?

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
This
Honestly the worst team should draft first overall.

Let's be honest oilers drafted first overall so long because of how bad they were.

Just a short reminder to stay humble too 😂
Too dangerous of a game imo. Too many teams would have a brutal roster, especially for an important draft like this one.

Games would be unwatchable

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

Singling out Chicago for tanking the hardest is an interesting take. I don’t disagree that they tanked hard but can’t say they did a better or worse job than the other teams in the top 5
what exactly did Anaheim do to tank really? Columbus was the 2nd worst team after making offseason moves to improve by signing Gaudreu. The only team that was getting a bargain bin roster was Arizona who does it every season because they are cheap.

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
We nearly won probably 8 of those by pulling our goalie and scrambling at the last second. Anybody who cites that losing streak as proof that we were trying hard to tank clearly did not watch those games. They were heart-pounding for fans like me who wanted them to lose.
Fair enough lol. That sorta proves into my point from a different direction. I wouldn’t say any of the teams tried to tank more than the other. Each team was a suckfest in their own special way

For what it’s worth though losing 11 in a row to end the season for a draft like that does look suspicious on the surface. But I’ll take your word for it since I didn’t watch too many Ducks games

Reactions: RogerRoger

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
I'm mad that the team who did what they did to Kyle Beach is gifted a generational talent.
Florida Panthers was the team that actually got punished for that, somehow. Then Brunette was unable to make tactical adjustments in the playoffs, got swept by Lightning, experienced league-wide mockery, hired Maurice, struggled in regular season, experienced league-wide mockery again, "Bedard for Chiarot" jokes, thread on Habs board about wanting Cats to lose, then Chicago helped us to get in the playoffs by winning against Pittsburgh, then historical upset in Boston happened, and now with 3-0 lead in second round series vs Leafs.

The circle has closed (or not?). But what a crazy turnaround.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
The only thing we see is now teams on the fringe of the playoffs but not abysmal try to jockey to be just a bit worse to improve their lottery chances. They say they want to stop tanking, lottery fixation has made it worse.

Go back to worst gets first.
I wouldn't mind doing something like 2 teams with the best points percentage with 20 games left get the best odds, then 2 of the worst teams, then the next 2 teams with the best points %, then 3rd and 4th worst teams. etc. Or something in that general realm.

Rewards teams playing well and trying but doesn't put the truly awful teams completely behind the 8 ball.

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago
Man.. I’m as giddy as can be.. I understand the salt from other fans but how can I not be excited?! LETS GO!

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
All these big market American teams keep cashing in on the lottery. Its amusing how hard some deny that the league has been tipping the scale in their favor recently. So many have known this was going to be the outcome since midseason or beyond. Glad I didn't waste my time watching that farcical lottery bull shit show.
Congrats Chicago for being a big market city, that had more to do with this outcome than your pathetic tank of a season.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
All these big market American teams keep cashing in on the lottery. Its amusing how hard some deny that the league has been tipping the scale in their favor recently. So many have known this was going to be the outcome since midseason or beyond. Glad I didn't waste my time watching that farcical lottery bull shit show.
Congrats Chicago for being a big market city, that had more to do with this outcome than your pathetic tank of a season.
Chicago
Montreal
Buffalo
NY
NJ
Buffalo
NJ
Toronto
Edmonton
Florida

What are we even doing here today? 2 out of the last 10 have been "big market american teams" 20%? Canadian teams have gotten it 30% of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad