The Tank Megathread | 8 | The Tank Awakens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Team playoffs may be short-sighted, but team tank suffers from tunnel vision.

Team tank has this belief that all that is needed is a high enough pick to turn this franchise around. One player just isn't enough, and neither is one draft. Arguably the best draft pick in a decade hasn't immediately turned around Edmonton's fortunes. They are still years off.

I'd argue that 'team playoffs' are being realists, and just want to enjoy some playoff hockey in the middle of a long term slump for the franchise. The only way out of this mess is development of the youth and having players like Horvat, McCann and Virtanen turn into star players. This isn't going to happen in no-pressure hockey on a team that isn't aiming for a playoff spot. We can't just intentionally lose and hope that an 18 year old kid like Matthews is going to fall into our laps and turn around our franchise.

I'd rather tunnel vision building a Stanley cup team than tunnel vision a lost decade of nothing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Was thinking of Hamhuis, but Edler is intriguing...term left on his contact and a legitimate top-pairing d-man...just how desperate are the Blues, Rangers and Caps likely to be?...but Edler has a limited 'no-movement' clause in his contract, does he not?

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
here is a question for anyone. If that certain Alberta team gets another first overall draft pick. will the NHL step in and do something?

The problem is it's too late by then. What are the odds that another franchise is so crappy at hockey while being so lucky at the draft lottery that they manage to snag 5 first overall picks in a 7 year span?

It's simply too late for the NHL to do anything to stop something that never should have been allowed to happen in the first place. At this point, it would be akin to Microsoft issuing a Y2K patch for Windows 10.

The NHL dropped the ball when they tinkered with the draft lottery odds -- they fixed the wrong problem. The problem wasn't that the worst teams in the league had the best chance to get the #1 pick. The problem was that it was too easy for teams who'd very recently had the #1 pick to get it again

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Ottawa leads Tampa Bay 3-1mid-way through the second. A Senators' win would be somewhat big.

Edit: now 4-1

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Yup

The two current players carrying this team were chosen 2 & 3 overall.

Linden carried this team in 1994 and was chosen 2nd overall.

lets not forget.... for a good part of our past 10 years... our team was lead by a number 2,3 and a number 4th pick (Luongo)

We went up against boston in 2011, who also had 2 top 3 picks in their line up, (Horton and Seguin)

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm on board with Team Tank... and I've never ever in the past wished for the Canucks to ever lose a game.

Ideally we can tank enough to get a top 3 pick... we're not that far off really. I honestly think Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary and Toronto could all pass us. Hell, so could Columbus. They're 6-3-1 in their last 10.

If Benning can make some good moves we could position ourselves to have 3 first round picks and also pick up a few mid-late round picks and it could do wonders for our turn around.

I'd love to see the Canucks with a top 3 pick, and then make a serious push to get Matthews with one or possibly even both of the other first round picks.

If we keep the #3, the two later first round picks could be used for some solid dmen, but I'd still take BPA.

PLEASE BENNING.... JUST THIS ONCE BLOW ME AWAY....

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Tank or not, it feels like the Canucks have become THE most irrelevant team in Canada.

Unless we get #1 overall, I don't see that being changed.

I was gonna drop some sarcastic joke about the Oilers failing their way to stardom but the mere thought of that "organization" is giving me both brain and anal cancer...

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Polarbearclub is one of the very few people on "Team Benning" with you, you shouldn't throw him under the bus like that.

I enjoy engaging about the Canucks on the Canucks forum, and if I wanted to talk heaps about the oilers I'd go to their forum. Seems like common sense?

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Team playoffs may be short-sighted, but team tank suffers from tunnel vision.

Team tank has this belief that all that is needed is a high enough pick to turn this franchise around. One player just isn't enough, and neither is one draft. Arguably the best draft pick in a decade hasn't immediately turned around Edmonton's fortunes. They are still years off.

I'd argue that 'team playoffs' are being realists, and just want to enjoy some playoff hockey in the middle of a long term slump for the franchise. The only way out of this mess is development of the youth and having players like Horvat, McCann and Virtanen turn into star players. This isn't going to happen in no-pressure hockey on a team that isn't aiming for a playoff spot. We can't just intentionally lose and hope that an 18 year old kid like Matthews is going to fall into our laps and turn around our franchise.

What an absolute horrible post. These "team playoffs" guys are so delusional. When has anyone said one draft or one player will turn this team around? Also Horvat, McCann and Virtanen won't turn into stars in no-pressure hockey team? Then how did OEL turn into one? Lol. Your guys argument against no tanking is so freaking bad.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I enjoy engaging about the Canucks on the Canucks forum, and if I wanted to talk heaps about the oilers I'd go to their forum. Seems like common sense?

Maybe the anti-tank crowd shouldn't mention them in just about every argument about how tanking "doesn't work" then?

Just a thought anyway ...

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Maybe the anti-tank crowd shouldn't mention them in just about every argument about how tanking "doesn't work" then?

Just a thought anyway ...

I tend to keep the oilers out of my mouth unless I'm trashing them in the "around the boards" thread...seems a good place where the pro-oilers Canucks fans can keep their oilers talk.

Showing viddies of McJesus isn't exactly what one expects to find on the Canucks forum.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Also on "team tank" but mainly for the purpose of Benning/WD getting fired with a nice high pick being the bonus.

Wille is canned no matter what at the end of the season, even casual fans are starting to dislike him.

Should get a top 10 pick this year.

Getting Benning fired is the hard part, might take another year sadly.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I tend to keep the oilers out of my mouth unless I'm trashing them in the "around the boards" thread...seems a good place where the pro-oilers Canucks fans can keep their oilers talk.

Showing viddies of McJesus isn't exactly what one expects to find on the Canucks forum.

Like I say, if they weren't brought up constantly by anti tankers (though perhaps not yourself) then it wouldn't elicit further discussions (and videos) on said team. It's not like the pro-tank crowd ever really brings them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad