The Tank Megathread | 8 | The Tank Awakens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
Yes please to the CanaFan-Plan.

But even if we don't lose the next 2 ; unless we complete annihilate the Avs & Coyotes it should be pretty clear that the playoffs aren't an option and we should start selling asap.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Might be an unpopular choice, but if all played out this way and we got Pouliot, drafted Chychrun and one of McAvoy/Bean, I would seriously look at dealing Edler at the draft to Ottawa or Dallas for the teams 1st + Honka/Chabot.

Adding Pouliot, Chychrun, McAvoy/Bean, Honka/Chabot to Tanev and Hutton would Stabilize our D for many years. Obviously a lot would need to play out perfectly for all to happen but its still fun to think about.

You're not wrong at all. I, too want to see Edler traded for a younger defenseman.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You're not wrong at all. I, too want to see Edler traded for a younger defenseman.

Honestly if all that actually came true (it won't) and we picked up Pouliot, Chychrun, and Bean/Mcavoy by the draft, I'd strongly look at offering Edler to Tampa in a deal for Drouin. As much as i've questioned Drouin's character in the other thread, I'd easily gamble on him if the main chip going the other way was Edler and maybe a 2nd.

That would set us up with pretty good Under-23 talent/depth at every position except Centre, which would hopefully be remedied with another high pick in 2017.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Management is too closeminded to know what to do.

At some point the owner's going to have to step up and ask the hard questions...why am I spending to the salary-cap maximum for a lottery team?...and why do I now have more than $7 million in NHL salaries buried in Utica?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
At some point the owner's going to have to step up and ask the hard questions...why am I spending to the salary-cap maximum for a lottery team?...and why do I now have more than $7 million in NHL salaries buried in Utica?
To be fair, $2.5 million of that was a contract that Gillis signed - not Benning.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Well the day is starting off good. Ran the lottery simulator 5x this morning we drafted 2nd twice and 3rd twice. PLS for the love of god Benning TANK TANK TANK

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014

For me, it depends on who said "younger defenseman" is. Is it........Travis Hamonik per se, or is it a prospect? If it's for a prospect, I would have to say 'no.'

On defense, the Canucks' biggest priority should be in protecting and nurturing Ben Hutton, along with what should be Andrey Pedan next season. By having Edler and Tanev in the line-up (along with what I'm hoping is a re-signed Dan Hamhuis after we trade him for a 1st at the deadline and then bring him back), it allows for a guy like Ben Hutton to have far less pressure in his development.

Give Hutton a whiff of Top 4 duty next season. If he excels in the role, then you can explore trade options regarding Edler.

The worst thing the Canucks can do on defense is trade Edler and Hamhuis without receiving an adequate veteran return. Not only do you end up throwing a guy like Hutton to the wolves, but you also end up throwing Markstrom to the wolves as well. Last thing you want is giving Markstrom a heavier workload in front of a weak and inexperienced D (i.e. making Markstrom susceptible to being 'lit up' and losing confidence).

Keep Edler and Tanev. Trade Hammer if you must (for a 1st), but make damn sure you re-sign him in the off-season.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Well the day is starting off good. Ran the lottery simulator 5x this morning we drafted 2nd twice and 3rd twice. PLS for the love of god Benning TANK TANK TANK

Here's a question.

Lets say the following happens:

1) Canucks miss the playoffs, but finish around 22-25th overall in the league. They have no luck in the lottery and are slated to draft 5th-8th.

2) Canucks trade Dan Hamhuis at the deadline for a 1st.

Do you think the Canucks would be able to move into the Top 3, or even Top 2, by trading their own 2016 1st along with the 1st they get from Dan Hamhuis?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Here's a question.

1) Canucks miss the playoffs, but finish around 22-25th overall in the league. They have no luck in the lottery and are slated to draft 5th-8th.

Do you think the Canucks would be able to move into the Top 3, or even Top 2, by trading their own 2016 1st along with the 1st they get from Dan Hamhuis?

Probably not. Just going off the top of my head but I can't recall a time when a team in the top 3 moved down for a top 5-8 plus another first. I think the talent drop is considered quite big to go from 2-3 to 5-8, plus this draft is shaping up to have a killer top ~15 but a so-so back half of the first round. I don't think the lure of an extra pick ~20 will be enough.

Could be wrong of course.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Here's a question.

No because no team is trading out of the top 3. And if we draft in the 5 spot I would still be happy taking tkachuck chychrun or Dubois and use the later first on McAvoy or bean and then hope to use our second Rd pick on clauge, Girard or krys

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Here's a question
Let's say the oilers finish bottom 5(well, seems like it's not even a question) and they don't win the 1st overall pick.
You think they will draft another forward?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Here's a question
Let's say the oilers finish bottom 5(well, seems like it's not even a question) and they don't win the 1st overall pick.
You think they will draft another forward?

Typically BPA. But I think it's a question of whether they think Laine or Pulujarvi are leaps and bounds better than Chychrun. If it's close, they take Chychrun. If they get the 2 or 3 slot, it might make sense for them to trade down to the 4-6 slot, pick up some assets and draft D.

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
Are the Canucks getting 2nd round pick from CBJ for Torts this year or next?

Can anyone please tell me how many picks and which teams picks Canucks have this year?

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Desjardin has lost them.

And iam hoping horvat and a few others are aware they got something special with a lottery pick or two.

Players dont try to lose. But they do stop playing hard when the coach is clueless.

After our response to calgary i think the season is over. Just pray the dice give us laine.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Can anyone please tell me how many picks and which teams picks Canucks have this year?

Probably not this year given where Columbus is in the standings.

At this point they have their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 7th, plus Carolina's 7th.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015

CBJ gets to Choose either 16, 17 or 18 if I am not mistaken.

And we have all our picks, Minus our 5th, plus Carolinas 7th

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Lets take BPA for the 1st in the 1-10 range then just go defense defense defense defense with the rest of the draft

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Will be interesting to see if we are a cap team next season. Wouldn't surprise me if we have an internal ceiling for a few years here.

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
These 30 games are very important for the Canucks.

As much as people want to say with Canucks luck they wont pick top 3. I like to stay positive. Hopefully teams below us start to get their **** together and win some games.

I think all teams below us will win some games to end the season so I still think drafting top 5 is not out of reach for the Canucks.

Best thing would be they go on losing streak and Jimbo trades Hamhuis and Vrbata(before the trade deadline) and the veterans give up on the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad