The Tank Megathread | 8 | The Tank Awakens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
We can retain salary. Also who's to say we trade them and receive zero salary in return?

In the offseason there are plenty of teams that will have enough cap space to make this happen. People are just in denial because they had the thought of their boyhood idols being traded away, but the reality is when this happened almost 20 years ago it set us up with a very nice foundation.

I'm sure Aquilini would be thrilled over that idea :laugh:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It's a sign that we should sell at the deadline.

In Benning's world it means we can't trade Hamhuis because Edler will be out until after the deadline and we need to make the playoffs. Let's be honest, this is unfortunately the truth.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I was looking at "Behind the Lens" on CDC, and one of the captions was a quote from Jim Benning after picking is mom up from the airport for the mother's road trip:

"I picked my mom up from the airport," explained GM Jim Benning, " and she asked me to explain why we haven't been winning. I was like, it's nice to see you too mom."

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
In Benning's world it means we can't trade Hamhuis because Edler will be out until after the deadline and we need to make the playoffs. Let's be honest, this is unfortunately the truth.

That is a legitimate fear.

He should have already by now, but let's hope he is thinking bigger picture than a futile playoff making attempt and manage his assets properly.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
That is a legitimate fear.

He should have already by now, but let's hope he is thinking bigger picture than a futile playoff making attempt and manage his assets properly.

The true fear is that Edler's injury runs 4-5+ weeks, and Benning actually picks up a veteran defenseman (like Liles or Russell) at the deadline for a 2nd round pick AND doesn't move Hamhuis.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
The true fear is that Edler's injury runs 4-5+ weeks, and Benning actually picks up a veteran defenseman (like Liles) at the deadline for a 2nd round pick AND doesn't move Hamhuis.

Benning hasn't traded any Canuck pick in the 1st-4th round for any depth player so far. At most, he flipped picks for relatively young players (Baertschi, Vey), so I don't think that fear is realistic.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Not sure if you guys have read this yet but check out this tsn article http://www.tsn.ca/trade-deadline-who-is-the-next-domino-to-fall-1.435923 confirming Hanhuis as the top trade bait guy.

In there it also talks about how we actually have the worse cap management in the league...

No team has a more dire cap situation than the Canucks, which was exacerbated by Hamhuis’ first game back on Saturday after two months on the injury list. They are also overloaded on the blueline, forced to sit Alex Biega as a healthy scratch just a few days after he signed a two-year contract extension.

As it stands, Vancouver cannot afford to add even a minimum salary NHL player at the trade deadline. Every other team in the league can bring in a player with a full season salary of at least $1.5 million, according to GeneralFanager.com.

Vancouver’s situation needs fixing. An injury to Alex Edler on Tuesday night might provide the necessary cap space for now. But moving Hamhuis, 33, and his $4.5-million cap hit as an unrestricted free agent rental would provide a permanent solution.

The complicating factor with Hamhuis is that he owns a full no-trade clause. He can call his own shot for the rest of the season - and as a British Columbia native, he might want to stay close to home.

But tell me more how cap space doesn't matter...

BuzzBuzz

Apr 7, 2011
Benning hasn't traded any Canuck pick in the 1st-4th round for any depth player so far. At most, he flipped picks for relatively young players (Baertschi, Vey), so I don't think that fear is realistic.

3rd for Dorsett?

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008
If Canucks are smart, they should claim Ehrhoff, trade Hamhuis/Vrbata (others like Hansen, Burrows and maybe Edler for GOOD returns. Otherwise dont trade them) and TANK.

Chances of making the playoffs were already slim and with Edler and Sutter injured, they are not making the playoffs.

You guys agree?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
If Canucks are smart, they should claim Ehrhoff, trade Hamhuis/Vrbata (others like Hansen, Burrows and maybe Edler for GOOD returns. Otherwise dont trade them) and TANK.

Chances of making the playoffs were already slim and with Edler and Sutter injured, they are not making the playoffs.

You guys agree?

As noted above we have legitimately no cap space. We'd have to put Edler or Sutter on IR, or move Hamhuis, before we claimed Ehrhoff I think.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
The true fear is that Edler's injury runs 4-5+ weeks, and Benning actually picks up a veteran defenseman (like Liles or Russell) at the deadline for a 2nd round pick AND doesn't move Hamhuis.

He loses me at that point of he does anything like that. I grab a pitchfork and join the haters.

Not that I love him so far, but I have defended him at times because i don't mind some of his moves, his drafting, and I think some of the hate goes over the top and not all the moves are as catastrophic as made out to be on here.

But this is time i am really watching and have been reserving judgement for. On a bright note he hasn't been afraid to move Higgins, Prust, Weber off the roster.

Really no point in keeping Vrbata. He is making no impact.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think moving Vrbata for like a 3rd rounder (or another reclamation project like Pedan/Baertschi) is a foregone conclusion at this point. Hamhuis I just don't know ... I have no faith in Benning doing the logical thing and just planning for next season. The only way we strategically shift to a full rebuild from a management/ownership point of view is when people stop buying playoff tickets and there isn't any revenue left from empty, first-round appearances.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Not sure if you guys have read this yet but check out this tsn article http://www.tsn.ca/trade-deadline-who-is-the-next-domino-to-fall-1.435923 confirming Hanhuis as the top trade bait guy.

In there it also talks about how we actually have the worse cap management in the league...

But tell me more how cap space doesn't matter...

Your point is correct obviously...but reading that I couldn't help but think a silver lining that at least Benning cannot bring in a stale veteran at the deadline.

Giving some credit to management, they are generally on a consistent path to get younger now.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
He loses me at that point of he does anything like that. I grab a pitchfork and join the haters.

Not that I love him so far, but I have defended him at times because i don't mind some of his moves, his drafting, and I think some of the hate goes over the top and not all the moves are as catastrophic as made out to be on here.

But this is time i am really watching and have been reserving judgement for. On a bright note he hasn't been afraid to move Higgins, Prust, Weber off the roster.

Really no point in keeping Vrbata. He is making no impact.

I can see a team giving up a low 2nd rounder for Vrbata. The fact WD hasn't used Vrbata with the twins much this year should be very telling.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
One Canucks scout at Jets/Blues game yesterday.

Benning's pro scouting meeting takes place this week lol.

He might actually become a buyer, Ladd was probably the player scouted.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I would love to have Ehrhoff back, always like him. And it would be quite humbling.

But...something something cap space...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad