The Tank Megathread | 8 | The Tank Awakens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
So we just need to find;
* a dark horse team that is a Sedin twin pairing away from a cup

* a team with $14M in cap space free until 2018, since with NMC's they aren't going to agree to being split up

* a team that would be willing to give us back anything meaningful in exchange, when they are jumping through hoops to fit $14M onto their cap

* a team they would be willing to waive their NMC's to go to. They might just decide to return to Sweden rather than moving their families to another NHL city.

When you actually consider what such a trade involves, you begin to understand why it won't happen unless the Sedin's make trade demands. IMO it's over-simplifying the situation to compare this to the Linden or Luongo trades.

We can retain salary. Also who's to say we trade them and receive zero salary in return?

In the offseason there are plenty of teams that will have enough cap space to make this happen. People are just in denial because they had the thought of their boyhood idols being traded away, but the reality is when this happened almost 20 years ago it set us up with a very nice foundation.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
People need to get used to the reality of us picking 7-12th.

That should be the dialogue here.

ever since Miller came back we trended downwards. We were around 11th place when Markstrom was playing, since Miller came back, we are locked at 7th.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Nylander for example has elite talent. Imo better than his brother

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
I'm kind of glad to be honest that we are winning. You know why? Cause Willie, Benning and Linden don't deserve a top 5 draft pick. They are morons who still think we can make the playoffs. So why would I cheer for a top 5 draft pick for this dumb team when they probably wouldn't know what to do with it if they got it? So forget it, let Willie and Co. keep racking up the wins. Maybe if we get real lucky we can get a wild card and face Chicago/LA in the first round HA HA HA HA HA. Oh well, Aquaman would get some playoff revenue then and maybe sell some jerseys which is what he no doubt wants.

I understand the frustration; takes me back to the misery that was the Watt-Gordon 'era'... We've got an asset that is obviously of no interest for WD, who leaves at the end of the season, and who was a fit last year with the Sedins, and he doggedly refuses to utilize it. In fact, he puts the guy on the 4th line, behind his 'vaunted Hat' combo; it's galling, and it can only wonder what thing Vrbata did to miff WD to have him throw an anchor at his career (yes, the player is equally culpable; but he signed on and demonstrated a skill with the Sedins)...

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Clear top 7? I don't know about that. I have thought that after the top 3, rankings seem to vary.

I misspoke, the Top 6 is clear, but after that it seems to be a bit of a mess.

IMO it goes: The Big 3, a gap, Tkachuk, Nylander and Chychrun, and then another gap, and then McLeod, Dubois, Juolevi, Sergachev, Gauthier, etc.

not sure how true that is but it would be awesome to have the better Nylander to rub in the face of Leaf fans. :laugh:

Could've/Should've had both...

A new pair of skilled European brothers to lead us going forward.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Honestly only gauthier would be extremely disapointing

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Losing tonight was the TSN turning point in this season imo.

You can see Roy and his post game comments, and he is turning his bus to tank town.

Zona is already on the tank bus, and that leaves the Canucks with a glimmer of hope for the playoffs again.

Minny has lost 6 in a row, and no idea why they suck so bad. Must be on the tank train too.

Canucks will sneak into 8th for another year of playoffs and an instant hammering.

I am not sure what we as fans can do, to try to fight this stupid player management. Most teams are smart enough to either go all in, or tank.

sigh :shakehead

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Canucks will sneak into 8th for another year of playoffs and an instant hammering.

I am not sure what we as fans can do, to try to fight this stupid player management. Most teams are smart enough to either go all in, or tank.

sigh :shakehead

Let the chips fall where they may.

If the Canucks are out of contention come trade deadline, trade off Vrbata and Hamhuis (Hammer, with the expectation that he re-signs in the off-season).

If the Canucks make the playoffs and draw Chicago or LA, I still see a value in getting guys like Horvat, Baertschi, Markstrom, Hutton, Etem, Vey, etc. playoff experience. That's the difference between me and most posters on here. I don't think playoff experience for kids is ever a waste, even if we're destined to get spanked (which we will if we make the playoffs).

Let mother nature take its course. I think it's a win-win scenario.

We'll either draft higher or our kids will get more playoff exposure.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
The Sedins>Trevor Linden at any stage of his career

Not comparable. Cmon Y2K

I would argue that the 1994 version of Linden in the playoffs was as good or even greater than the Sedins' in any of the Sedins' playoff runs.

However - outside of that playoff run, it's a no-brainer. Sedins > Linden hands down.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Must lose game tonight. A win puts us way too close to a wildcard spot and knocks down a tank competitor at the same time.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Must lose game tonight. A win puts us way too close to a wildcard spot and knocks down a tank competitor at the same time.

I am down for all wins if Horvat, Baertchi, Virts, Hutton and Marky have good games. As soon as I see Miller in goal it turns to please lose 4-3 and all points from players mentioned above.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I am down for all wins if Horvat, Baertchi, Virts, Hutton and Marky have good games. As soon as I see Miller in goal it turns to please lose 4-3 and all points from players mentioned above.

It is quite the dilemma 'cause I want to see the kids and UFAs play well but that means we'll likely win, which I don't want. Quite the delicate balance but if I had to choose, I'd probably go with losing because it's the best thing for the future. If the kids slow down to end the season it's not like it'll kill their development.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Let the chips fall where they may.

If the Canucks are out of contention come trade deadline, trade off Vrbata and Hamhuis (Hammer, with the expectation that he re-signs in the off-season).

If the Canucks make the playoffs and draw Chicago or LA, I still see a value in getting guys like Horvat, Baertschi, Markstrom, Hutton, Etem, Vey, etc. playoff experience. That's the difference between me and most posters on here. I don't think playoff experience for kids is ever a waste, even if we're destined to get spanked (which we will if we make the playoffs).

Let mother nature take its course. I think it's a win-win scenario.

We'll either draft higher or our kids will get more playoff exposure.

Top 10 pick > Playoff experience and it's not even close. We were just schooled and a relatively inexperienced playoff team. It seems like guys like you don't understand just how far away we are from being legit contenders again. Out prospect pool is decent. A bunch of green houses as you like to say but we're missing any real difference makers. We need at least 2 drafts of drafting in the top 5-7 before this team can really start moving in the right direction.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Top 10 pick > Playoff experience and it's not even close. We were just schooled and a relatively inexperienced playoff team. It seems like guys like you don't understand just how far away we are from being legit contenders again. Out prospect pool is decent. A bunch of green houses as you like to say but we're missing any real difference makers. We need at least 2 drafts of drafting in the top 5-7 before this team can really start moving in the right direction.
But just imagine how many more cups Chicago might have if they'd gotten playoff experience in 2007 instead of drafting Patrick Kane. Probably be up to a cool dozen at least by now. That playoff experience is potent stuff ya know ...

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
The idea that the players will despondent because a couple veterans get traded is just silly. No one on this team, including Hamhuis, is going to care if a couple of vets get traded at the deadline by the next training camp. It's a handful of games to end the season and they are already out of the playoff picture. If anything, the younger players will be excited to have a bigger opportunity on the team and will look forward to an influx of highly skilled prospects that strategic trades at the deadline can bring.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
The Canucks will never trade the Sedins. Why fixate on this?

I hope neither the Sedins or the organization have their minds set on "never".

In 2 years when they are upcoming UFAs and likely at the end of the road, it might be worth it for both sides to give it a shot elsewhere. Whoever they are traded to would likely become the leading contender and the trade would return a butt-load of assets. I don't think the trade would be as difficult as some make it out to be as we could retain on both contracts and also take cap back (which will lead to an even larger return).

Playing for a different organization at the end won't hurt their legacy or standing in Vancouver one iota.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad