Blue Jays Discussion: The "So, How About Them Blue Jays?" Edition. [1.5 Games ahead of Yankees]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I agree with Zaun - get Tulo out of that lead off spot. Right now Revere earned a chance there.

Revere
Donaldson
Bautista
Encarnacion
Tulowitzki
Smoak
Martin
Goins
Pillar

mikebel111*

Looks like Tulu is finding his form. Hard hit ball. And Mr. Clutch AB on Tuesday

No need to remove him leadoff spot

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah Revere deserves to be tried in the leadoff

Revere has been unreal at turning the line up over. Can't make any rash decisions when our bottom 6 is Navarro Pillar Revere Pennington Goins. Normally it would be Smoak/collabello, Martin, pillar revere goins. Looks waaaay better and performs way better

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Nonsense.

Ok, what do you suggest? Tulowitzki needs a spark right now. He doesn't look comfortable in the lead off spot, he can't seem to decide whether to be patient or swing away. Put him in the middle, where he's been successful almost his entire career.

I agree that Revere has been good in the 9 spot, so who hits lead off? Or just keep things status quo? Ftr, this isn't knee jerk because we didn't score today, Tulo just hasn't been good at the plate.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Ok, what do you suggest? Tulowitzki needs a spark right now. He doesn't look comfortable in the lead off spot, he can't seem to decide whether to be patient or swing away. Put him in the middle, where he's been successful almost his entire career.

I agree that Revere has been good in the 9 spot, so who hits lead off? Or just keep things status quo? Ftr, this isn't knee jerk because we didn't score today, Tulo just hasn't been good at the plate.

If Tulo is going to stay at leadoff, then Revere needs to be batting 9th.

Why he was 7th today is absolute stupidity on Gibbons behalf. The guy hits three times, swipes a bag and doesn't score a run.

Cliff Pennington should be on the bench for the remainder of the year.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Where Troy Tulowitzki is hitting is not affecting his approach whatsoever. And for you to think that you can judge an individual's comfort level is nonsensical. He was batting third in Colorado prior to being trade to Toronto, and was in an 0-20 slide.

Ben Revere is empty average, low wOBA, and functions best at the bottom of a lineup.

And please don't tell me it's not a knee jerk reaction. I don't even have to look at the box score of today's game to know that Tulowitzki likely didn't get a hit and Revere probably did. And even still, you're using a small sample size and ignoring the track record of one of the best players in baseball; worse off, assuming he's mentally weak enough to let where he is batting in a lineup affect his approach.

People are entitled to be nonsensical, but at least be honest about it.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013

If Tulo's uncomfortable in the leadoff spot, I'm sure they'd move him. Don't forget he was in a funk before he came to Toronto, 0-20 something, and that was when he was hitting in the spot where he's "comfortable." With him struggling, it's natural to want to try to change something, but it's probably just action for the sake of action. Even stars have bad months (and he's hit the ball well for the most part during this bad month, and has been scoring runs, so bad is a very relative term here). I'd give him some more time.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Why he was 7th today is absolute stupidity on Gibbons behalf. The guy hits three times, swipes a bag and doesn't score a run.

Pennington and Goins combined 2 for 7 with a walk. Tulo and Donaldson combined 0 for 8 with a walk. If Revere was hitting in front of them today it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

But I agree. I like Revere at 9.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Next they'll tell me this isn't knee jerk either.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Where Troy Tulowitzki is hitting is not affecting his approach whatsoever.

[.....]

Where Troy Tulowitzki is hitting affects how pitchers decide to pitch to him.

He has struggled with the most fearsome trio in the majors followed up right after him.

How much more of a clue than that do you need to conclude this guy is having serious issues at the plate?

Is the most important September in the past 23 years really worth letting the guy figure it out, or should we be optimizing our batting order to give us the best chance at winning?

mikebel111*

Tulo is hitting better lately so no reason to change anything. 21-5 with Tulo leading off?
In a clutch AB, who you want at plate, TT or Revere. Easily Tulo even in his unlucky stretch
And no thanks to Revere leading off.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Pennington and Goins combined 2 for 7 with a walk. Tulo and Donaldson combined 0 for 8 with a walk. If Revere was hitting in front of them today it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

But I agree. I like Revere at 9.

I'm sorry but Pennington should be a defensive sub and that's all.

He has no use for us starting games.

mikebel111*

He has struggled with the most fearsome trio in the majors followed up right after him.

How much more of a clue than that do you need to conclude this guy is having serious issues at the plate?

Is the most important September in the past 23 years really worth letting the guy figure it out, or should we be optimizing our batting order to give us the best chance at winning?

21-5 record with him leading off. But yeah huge changes are needed. This team clearly doesnt do well with him leading off.
And please stop with mentally affecting him. No need to say such a dumbfounding thing

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The only reason I could see Tulo being moved down in the line up is so that he can see more pitches from the dug out. He's in a new league with a lot of new pitchers so it may benefit him to be able to watch them pitch to a couple of batters before he gets up. In my opinion anyways. I like him lead off though.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
21-5 record with him leading off. But yeah huge changes are needed. This team clearly doesnt do well with him leading off.
And please stop with mentally affecting him. No need to say such a dumbfounding thing

21-5.

How many wins were directly related to his batting?

I love his defence and it's been a real difference maker for us since the trade, but if you ran his numbers vs. leadoff hitters over the same sample, he'd be near last easily.

mikebel111*

The only reason I could see Tulo being moved down in the line up is so that he can see more pitches from the dug out. He's in a new league with a lot of new pitchers so it may benefit him to be able to watch them pitch to a couple of batters before he gets up. In my opinion anyways. I like him lead off though.

If he batted 5th, he probably wouldnt see many fastballs with the guys ahead of him. So it makes no difference. Nothing wrong with him leading off

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

1. If you're going to quote me, quote the entire post.
2. Quantifying statistically that Troy Tulowitzki has struggled in the month of August is perfectly acceptable and measurable
3. Qualifying that those quantified struggles are due to the spot in the lineup in which he is hitting is lazy

Note: correlation does not imply causation

4. Ignoring the 0-20 slide he was on prior to becoming a Blue Jay and batting third for the Rockies is irresponsible
5. Assuming a given player, with a proven track record, will not progress back to the mean he has established over an appropriate sample size is stupid

6. Take this beating in stride

mikebel111*

21-5.

How many wins were directly related to his batting?

I love his defence and it's been a real difference maker for us since the trade, but if you ran his numbers vs. leadoff hitters over the same sample, he'd be near last easily.

I could care less about his individual numbers. We are winning with him leading off thats good enough for me. The guy is hitting better so why switch

Oh I know its okay the team could lose 3 out of 4, but at least Tulo is hitting well now

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
[..............]

3. Qualifying that those quantified struggles are due to the spot in the lineup in which he is hitting is lazy

[.....................]

Ignoring the correlation between pitch quality and batting order position is at the very least "lazy", if you ask me. I could easily think of a better word.

How you chalk up this relationship to "lazy" analysis is easily one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on this board.

I suppose line-matchups in hockey to you are fictional too, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad