Blue Jays Discussion: The "So, How About Them Blue Jays?" Edition. [1.5 Games ahead of Yankees]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

cleveland, ohio – indians president mark shapiro will soon know if he is going to leave the club to take a similar role with the toronto blue jays, sources told the northeast ohio media group.

A source, who did not want to speak publicly about shapiro's future, said there would be "closure" within the next few days, in one direction or another. Either shapiro, who's worked in the indians' front office since 1992 and has served as president since 2010, will choose to leave cleveland for the big-market, deep-pocketed, american league-contending blue jays, or he won't.

The indians open a three-game series in toronto -- where shapiro could be working next season -- on monday.

shapiro has declined comment on the report, but indians manager terry francona has all but confirmed that shapiro is considering whether or not to remain with cleveland, where he served as general manager for nine seasons before his promotion to team president.

Before the indians played the los angeles angels friday at progressive field, francona said "one of the reasons i think mark would think about leaving is because i think he's confident that things are in place, the way we have worked so hard to do it" – referring to the foundation shapiro, francona, and general manager chris antonetti has built with the indians.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
It's even worse because IIRC when Hutch was in the rotation regularly and getting starts and getting lit up, Zaun absolutely bagged on him, saying that the wins didn't disguise the fact that he was getting knocked around and just happened to get crazy run support.

Though this might have more to do with Zaun's crazy axe to grind against Stroman for having the gall to grow up to be 5'10 instead of 6'0

also GDT is open

Is that a joke about how coincidentally Zaun is also 5'10?

Zaun probably just forgets how good Stroman was last year. Cut the guy some slack its not like he would have watched every one of his starts last year :sarcasm:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

tolleson said he doesn’t know why anthopoulos accused him of quitting.

“i have a wife and two kids, and over the last three months i haven’t had an opportunity to be with them because of my injuries, going from doctor to doctor, from florida to buffalo, and travelling with the buffalo team, trying to focus on getting healthy,†tolleson said.

“if i would have wanted to quit, i would have gone home to be with my family.â€

tolleson batted .253 in 109 games for the jays last year and .268 in 19 games before his injury this season. He said this summer has been the most difficult of his 11-year pro career.

“i would be lying to you if i didn’t say this course of injuries has broken me down as a person — it broke me down to tears quite a few times,†he said.

Asked whether he was medically fit to play when the jays designated him for assignment, he said he would have played if he was healthy.

“the players’ union and the commissioner’s office are sharing facts and sorting all that out,†he said. “if i was medically ready to play, anyone who knows me, the 25 guys in the (jays’) clubhouse, and the 40 or so who have been through the club in the triple-a clubhouse in buffalo, will tell you about my desire to play this game.â€

tolleson said he has been taking batting practice with the buffalo club for the past week and has tested his hamstring successfully in drills over the past few days. He said he is “very close†to being able to play again.

He was disappointed that his strained relationship with the jays had become public, he said, especially in light of the the positive vibes created by the “amazing tam†anthopoulos has constructed.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Jon Heyman had his inside baseball article and in it is reporting that Chris Davis/Scott Boras are looking for a 10 year 225 M$ deal :amazed:. He talks about Shapiro potentially being the President of the Jays too, so maybe my prediction that AA will be President was incorrect. Here's the article

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario

Regardless of whether he did or not, that's just a completely stupid comment for AA to make, considering the position the team is in (playoff spot, in the media spotlight now on both sides of the border, etc). I doubt it'll effect the team's performance, but it's going to be a PR nightmare for the Jays front office if this doesn't get settled quietly.

Unless, as Tolleson says, you have a guy putting in no effort while being injured to get back, even if all medical checks are coming in inconclusive or in conflict of each other, if he's not comfortable and says he's in pain, you can't claim he's ************. It won't work out well for anyone.

I imagine there's very little chance the PA loses a case against his DFA if the Jays stick to their guns.

mikebel111*

Nice win boys. Complete effort. Offense, pitching, defence

You have to love Osuna. 3-0 count on 1st batter than activate "beast" mode. Great stuff

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Regardless of whether he did or not, that's just a completely stupid comment for AA to make, considering the position the team is in (playoff spot, in the media spotlight now on both sides of the border, etc). I doubt it'll effect the team's performance, but it's going to be a PR nightmare for the Jays front office if this doesn't get settled quietly.

Unless, as Tolleson says, you have a guy putting in no effort while being injured to get back, even if all medical checks are coming in inconclusive or in conflict of each other, if he's not comfortable and says he's in pain, you can't claim he's ************. It won't work out well for anyone.

I imagine there's very little chance the PA loses a case against his DFA if the Jays stick to their guns.

I think this is about his grievance...basically, Tolleson is arguing that the Jays DFA'd him when he was hurt, and the Jays are suggesting that he's abusing the DL (he went on the DL before being sent down so he collects a MLB paycheque despite not being on our 40-man).

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
tumblr_nttjr3YmP71r37slco1_400.gif

Mar 14, 2011

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
http://www.lonestarball.com/2012/10...nt-mark-shapiro-talks-stats-war-and-much-more

Great read on Shapiro. Awesome to hear how progressive he is. Hell, he's built one of the most progressive FO's in baseball with the Indians. Just hope he and AA wouldn't clash in Toronto, which is pretty much the one big fear here with bringing in a baseball guy as pres.

From what I've heard, he doesn't interfere with his GM in Cleveland. Still, it wouldn't surprise me that, if he is hired soon enough, he may be the one deciding on AA's extension.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Dombrowski, now Shapiro.

Who else was named dropped in the Moneyball deadline scene?

:sarcasm:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
From what I've heard, he doesn't interfere with his GM in Cleveland. Still, it wouldn't surprise me that, if he is hired soon enough, he may be the one deciding on AA's extension.

I think anyone coming as President would be.

With the Jays currently leading the division, and the moves AA has made in the past year, I'm not sure how AA won't get an extension.

Unless things unravel completely, and we don't even get a wildcard spot, I think it's a pretty easy decision to bring back AA.

I think there's more of a discussion to be had about Gibby, and whether the new President think he's the right manager to take this team to a championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad