OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'm a big fan of Cage the Elephant. Their first single (Mess Around) from their upcoming album sounded like a rip off of The Black Keys, but I still liked it. This song though has been stuck in my head since I first heard it, had to share.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I've been listening to this FKA twigs EP pretty consistently. It gives me a cool nocturnal vibe of Tricky coupled with Bjork's sensibility to otherness. Very modern though, not a dip into the '90s.

I think it was this badass performance on British TV that sold me.

When she goes into that dance move at 2:55 I think my heart exploded.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Oh, I like Beefheart too.

Good stuff man. If that instrumental Decals clip interests you, there was a disc on the Grow Fins box set with rehearsal instrumental versions of Trout Mask Replica tunes. Nice to get clarity on those contrapuntal lines.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
WVqeaSn.jpg

I'm in there somewhere. Spent the past weekend in Hampton, Virginia for a 2 day Bassnectar and Pretty Lights concert. Probably the most insane concert experience ever for me. Can't wait to go back next year.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I've been listening to a crapload of old Darkthrone lately.

Their first 4 albums are so good. I love how their riffs sound very punk influenced at times.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
This has been out for a while, but I just recently found it and thought I'd share. The full story is here, but the tl;dr is that T Bone Burnett produced an album of some 'lost' Dylan lyrics with Elvis Costello, Rhiannon Giddens, Taylor Goldsmith, Jim James and Marcus Mumford. So, anyway, for those of you who haven't heard it ...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Any of you guys vintage audio buffs? My old Tesla (vintage CSSR technology that I stole from the university!) receiver just died and I'm looking to pick up something a little more... durable. I know most of the typical 70's Japanese receivers/amps to look for, but if anyone has some off the wall suggestions for this week's flea market/pawnshop/second hand store search, let me know. American brands are probably out of my price range, but that's cool 'cause the 70s Japanese amps are where it's at for the money, IMO.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I run an old stereo rig for my records. It's a Euro model (mostly black on the front panel instead of all silver) Pioneer SX-950 (it's called an SX-5570) with matching-era HPM-100 speakers and the matching black Pioneer turntable. I honestly don't know enough about the entire subject other than this setup sounds better than any component receiver setup that I've heard more or less anywhere else. I hooked it up to my entertainment center at one point and it even sounds better (to my ears) than high priced surround systems when playing movies. And again... just two speakers.

This likely won't be much help but you can't go wrong with anything by Pioneer, Sansui, Yamaha or Marantz from that era. I was a little shocked to see how much eBay prices have gone up in the intervening years, though. When I inherited this thing (about ten-ish years ago) you could get a gone-through, cleaned up and tested Pioneer SX-950 for, like... 300 bucks. They are 700-900+ now.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Things are still pretty stable here-- I can grab an SX-535 for around $150 US, refurbished and restored, and some of the more obscure Japanese brands- Onkyo, Rotel, Luxman, Lafayette- seem to go for less. Most Czechs still don't want the vintage stuff, they'd rather grab something new and shiny and 7.1 or whatever. Me? I'd rather run as much analog as I can. Even if it's a line out from my laptop or ipod, I want it to go through an analog amp.

I'm just wondering if there are brands I've never seen before that are worth looking into, since there's not a whole lot of brick-and-mortar second hand audio stores here, so I'll be possibly buying on the internet.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know Rotels have a good reputation. I have a friend that runs an old 70s Onkyo he pulled out of a junk store and it sounds pretty damned nice, to me. Hitachi and Toshiba made some decent late 70s models, as well.

Heh... again... sorry that isn't much help. I'm not well-versed enough to know the really good diamonds in the rough. Though I suspect most anything that still works built during that time is going to sound a hell of a lot better than any black plastic box you find from the decades following.

You and I obviously are of the same mind when it comes to how music should be listened to.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Loud and through an amplifier that looks like it was part of the Apollo moon landing or a 50s sci-fi flick? :laugh:

If your stereo receiver doesn't resemble and weigh approximately the same as the flight control surfaces from a B-17... you probably aren't doing something right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad