OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

This album has gotten a lot of flack, justly so in some cases, because it's pretty goofy and self indulgent in places. That being said, those bass lines...

Last edited:

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC

This album has gotten a lot flack, justly so in some cases, because it's pretty goofy and self indulgent in places. That being said, those bass lines...

Speaking of Cynic, today I finally picked up At Death's Door II, a Roadrunner comp from 1993 most notable for having a killer lineup and a handful of non-album tracks. Cynic's contribution (and the current main reason to own the CD now that Death's cover of Kiss' "God of Thunder" has been reissued elsewhere) is a demo version of "Uroboric Forms" recorded a couple years before Focus came out. This is why the only Cynic release I'll ever care about in the future is a hypothetical demo compilation. Hopefully they aren't too into self-absorbed new age ******** to recognize the value of their early material. (Eh, what the hell, I just went to Cynic's website and sent Paul Masvidal an email about it. Minus any insulting language.)

Last edited:

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think you'll see it eventually, metal labels can't resist releasing demo/rarities type stuff, even if it's horrible and serves no purpose.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I think you'll see it eventually, metal labels can't resist releasing demo/rarities type stuff, even if it's horrible and serves no purpose.

True, though with demos if they don't get reissued it usually is the band's decision for one reason or another. I can see Cynic being the kind of band who is now somewhat embarrassed by their relatively primitive/"unenlightened" early recordings or playing the "We just want to focus on our new music" card. They put together The Portal Tapes and slapped a few Portal demos onto a reissue of Focus despite the fact that absolutely no one cares about Portal, though. Then again, Portal tacked hard into the new age stuff.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard -- I'm In Your Mind Fuzz

I've had this one on a lot, lately. Yes... they sound much like the name would imply.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
True, though with demos if they don't get reissued it usually is the band's decision for one reason or another. I can see Cynic being the kind of band who is now somewhat embarrassed by their relatively primitive/"unenlightened" early recordings or playing the "We just want to focus on our new music" card. They put together The Portal Tapes and slapped a few Portal demos onto a reissue of Focus despite the fact that absolutely no one cares about Portal, though. Then again, Portal tacked hard into the new age stuff.

I hear Morehouse is their spiritual advisor.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Miley may be a crazy person, but she is a hell of a singer when she has a good song to sing. Ariana Grande is even better.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Looking for some Synthpop suggestions if anybody has some.

Mostly looking for the traditional sort, not Goth/Darkwave or Industrial.

member 51464

Miley may be a crazy person, but she is a hell of a singer when she has a good song to sing. Ariana Grande is even better.

Ariana Grande has an impressively big voice for someone who is only 5'0.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Chvrches
Cut Copy
Empire of the Sun
Hot Chip
Miami Horror
Toro y Moi
Washed Out

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Not exactly. I already have content from all of those acts in my active rotation. They showed up a lot in the indie playlists I'd check out.

These days I'm looking more for acts like Mesh, Iris, Information Society (still going strong currently!), Tenek, etc.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
How about Ford and Lopatin. Channel Pressure is a really good album. Sort of retro-futuristic midi pop.

homepage_large.a4e326ca.jpg

I also like Joyland by Trust.

homepage_large.685345bd.jpg

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC

So everyone's favorite shelved Quebecois heavy metal album of 1987 finally saw a legitimate release last year. It's one of my most wished-for releases ever and I had no idea until earlier this week! Finally, Mercury Canada's wrongs have been righted by Greeks.

If you're a heavy metal hunter, be sure to look out for their first record, too. Sadly it remains out of print, but it's totally uncommon thanks to seeing release on some of the more popular metal indies of the day (Metal Blade in the US and Neat in Europe).

Of course, the demo material they recorded as Death Dealer is very much worth seeking out, too. They've since reunited under that name and put out a new album, but I haven't heard it. Metal reunions must always be approached with caution.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Speaking of metal, I've been listening to the new record from Obsequaie a ton since it came out. They're heavily influenced by medieval scales, so they could and maybe should have been a really bad, cheesy band, but it's really just wall to wall awesome riffs. It's a little bit of doom metal, death metal with some scattered black metal influence. The regular songs are broken up with harp interludes which are really cool in their own right.

harp track:

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The new Vintage Caravan album "Arrival" is so good. Fuzzy neo-psych hard stoner rock from Iceland. Gunner Stahl would jam to this pre-game if he were still playing...or real.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Speaking of metal, I've been listening to the new record from Obsequaie a ton since it came out. They're heavily influenced by medieval scales, so they could and maybe should have been a really bad, cheesy band, but it's really just wall to wall awesome riffs. It's a little bit of doom metal, death metal with some scattered black metal influence. The regular songs are broken up with harp interludes which are really cool in their own right.

harp track:

This is pretty neat. The melodies remind me a bit of Amorphis on Tales from the Thousand Lakes and Elegy or In Flames on Lunar Strain, though the entire approach is different. Though I guess with Amorphis and In Flames, even though they were explicitly indebted to Scandinavian folk, it's just as much trying to apply Dead Can Dance to metal as deliberately seeking medieval modes, :laugh:.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
It's definitely indebted to some mid-90's melodic death metal, throw Dark Tranquility in the mix too. Too bad most of those bands are terrible now.

Dead Can Dance has always been one of those bands I'll hear and think "oh hey, this is cool," and then I'll forget about them for like a year until I hear them again and the cycle repeats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad