OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Mid-Winter Blues Music

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Since we were doing guitar chat a bit ago, the Pro Reverb finally made it up from Slovakia:

27b1b284623a1fd87118701760c70e90876cf98e_2_750x1000.jpeg

Also pictured: '64 Selmer Little Giant, 2007 Gretsch 6120, and this is on the turn table:

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Negativland recorded and used an angry call from Greg Ginn after the fallout of the U2Negativland put out on SST (starts at the 45 second mark):

That’s hilariously on brand for Ginn. I’ve read/watched plenty of things that point to him being an incredibly douchey POS.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Y'all seem to like a lot of punk or punk-adjacent stuff. What are anybody's thoughts on Parquet Courts?

I really liked a lot of stuff off Sunbathing Animal and Content Nausea. There was some stuff that was unlistenable noise to me as well, but for the most part I liked them enough to buy them on vinyl. I've been trying to get into their most recent full length albums (Human Performance, Wide Awake!), but they aren't quite hitting the same.

They are a little outside of the norm of what I listen to. So I don't know if I just caught them at the right time before or if I just need to keep giving the newer records a listen.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Y'all seem to like a lot of punk or punk-adjacent stuff. What are anybody's thoughts on Parquet Courts?

I really liked a lot of stuff off Sunbathing Animal and Content Nausea. There was some stuff that was unlistenable noise to me as well, but for the most part I liked them enough to buy them on vinyl. I've been trying to get into their most recent full length albums (Human Performance, Wide Awake!), but they aren't quite hitting the same.

They are a little outside of the norm of what I listen to. So I don't know if I just caught them at the right time before or if I just need to keep giving the newer records a listen.
Their most recent album Sympathy For Life (like a lot of their albums) ranges sooo much in sound. The song Pulcinella reminds me of Songs: Ohia or Red House Painters. Plant Life and Zoom Out sound very Talking Heads. They have some majorly whacky songs intertwined and some that lean more towards their more punk-y earlier stuff.

So to your last point, given their sound varies so much, it only makes sense to like some of their stuff more than the rest.

Wide Awake! is the album that introduced me, specifically the song Tenderness. So going from that to some of the other tracks in their discog is a major leap.

Last edited:
Reactions: pistolpete11

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I like most of what I've heard. I admit I haven't heard their last two albums aside from maybe a track or two off of "Wide Awake!"

I really dig all of "Light Up Gold" though, their second album. This is the opening track.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

The one singer Andrew was in one of my favorite bands ever, Teenage Cool Kids. Definitely worth a peep.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Their most recent album Sympathy For Life (like a lot of their albums) ranges sooo much in sound. The song Pulcinella reminds me of Songs: Ohia or Red House Painters. Plant Life and Zoom Out sound very Talking Heads. They have some majorly whacky songs intertwined and some that lean more towards their more punk-y earlier stuff.

So to your last point, given their sound varies so much, it only makes sense to like some of their stuff more than the rest.

Wide Awake! is the album that introduced me, specifically the song Tenderness. So going from that to some of the other tracks in their discog is a major leap.
Tenderness was a standout for me as well, but unfortunately it was one of the few between the 2 albums after a couple of play throughs... and the one that ends "f*** Tom Brady!" :laugh:

I didn't not like them, so I'm going to give them a couple more shots.

I like most of what I've heard. I admit I haven't heard their last two albums aside from maybe a track or two off of "Wide Awake!"

I really dig all of "Light Up Gold" though, their second album. This is the opening track.

I don't know if I've listened to Light Up Gold, but I've heard that song before. It's kind of hard to forget about the "forget about it's".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad