OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Mid-Winter Blues Music

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
That’s hilariously on brand for Ginn. I’ve read/watched plenty of things that point to him being an incredibly douchey POS.
The best takedown of Ginn is Henry Rollins' and Dez' interviews in Punk Planet. Apparently Ginn, in addition to being a prick, was also really into Black Oak Arkansas. :laugh:

There are a few beloved/well regarded bands that every song just sounds the same to me. Even when they release a new album. Anyone else?
As a seasoned record holder, I think you need to listen with proper, expensive, veteran ears. Maybe really try to listen to the Moody Blues, they're deep.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm not going to lie- the first 3 songs I played on my beloved Gretsch were AC/DC's "Highway to Hell", CSNY's "Ohio", and the New York Dolls' "Personality Crisis". :laugh:

AC/DC have so many good albums, it's unreal.

Reactions: Deport Ogie

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Hopefully you bought a schoolboy outfit first.
I did it ala Bon Scott. In the nude. :laugh: Also, don't steal my Gretsch, I've marked it with my musk.

But for real, AC/DC is possibly the only band you can always put on the stereo at a punk party, a metalhead party, an indie rock party, a hip-hop party, or even weird art school kid party and everybody is cool with it.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
When I typed the original post I had The Hold Steady/Craig Finn in mind. Every song that I ever heard from them is about the same subject matter. It’s like yeah I knew a girl from Minneapolis she fell into some hard times. There was drugs and alcohol we knew a guy with some money blah blah. Maybe I just need to listen to more of their stuff

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
When I typed the original post I had The Hold Steady/Craig Finn in mind. Every song that I ever heard from them is about the same subject matter. It’s like yeah I knew a girl from Minneapolis she fell into some hard times. There was drugs and alcohol we knew a guy with some money blah blah. Maybe I just need to listen to more of their stuff
I find Craig Finn pretty hard to listen to TBH, because he's got the faux-Bob Dylan delivery, but he's not nearly as good as a lyricist. But the Hold Steady did some good stuff.

Edit: I'm personally a big fan of Boys and Girls in America.

Last edited:

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I don’t dislike them, I just think all the stuff that I heard sounds similar and is about the same shit. I am listening to Boys and Girls in America now and it is a little different for the most part, but I just got to First Night and it is kind of what I am talking about. It sounds pretty good though.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think more or less every single pop country song from around the 2010s until recently are basically identical.

In nothing but all the worst ways.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

May 17, 2009
Maine
Anyone here messing around with the Eternal Jukebox? It's pretty sweet if you have songs that you really like.

I've tried a couple different genres and it seems to work best with house music. I started a spreadsheet to track what I've tried. Some good house selections at the end. It works nicely with a few American Analog Set tracks which I will be adding once I go back and listen to them again.

EDIT: Well I mean to drop that in as a link but maybe this is easier.

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Panic at the Disco released their first new song in like 4 years today:

Gives me real Vices and Virtues vibes, which is awesome because that was my favorite Panic at the Disco album.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Searching for popular/ semi-popular songs from the 2000s people may have forgotten. Show me what you've got

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad