The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Power is probably the one player I’m most excited to see under a new coach. He’ll never be a bruiser but his physicality needs to improve in a big way and is his lowest hanging fruit
God knows if he adds physicality but becomes an infinitely worse actual player a certain section of Sabres Twitter will think he’s amazing now.

They watched Rasmus Ristolainen. They did not understand Rasmus Ristolainen. Yearning for the days we were “hard to play against” while finishing dead f***ing last.

Reactions: GrierIsGod123

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I remember Ruff trying to turn Tyler Myers into something he was not due to his size. Hopefully he learned from that experience.

Power's engagement and intensity in his own zone needs to improve. And in saying that I don't need him to ever throw an open ice hit, and I don't need him to cross check spines in front of the net, but he needs to use his big ass body to block out lanes through the house.

If 5'9" Yanni Gourde and Power go into the boards or the crease for a 50/50 puck, there's a good chance Gourde is coming out with the puck.

That shouldn't be a big ask of a defenseman without jeopardizing their offensive strengths.

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
Power's engagement and intensity in his own zone needs to improve. And in saying that I don't need him to ever throw an open ice hit, and I don't need him to cross check spines in front of the net, but he needs to use his big ass body to block out lanes through the house.

If 5'9" Yanni Gourde and Power go into the boards or the crease for a 50/50 puck, there's a good chance Gourde is coming out with the puck.

That shouldn't be a big ask of a defenseman without jeopardizing their offensive strengths.
Totally agree with you Fezzy! I'm really hoping that Ruff is able to figure out how to make that happen.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012

I think I remember him trying to check someone of Gourdes size and bouncing off, that was a frustrating watch.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Need left wing.

Edmonton needs to clear up space. Anyone interested in Kane if he is willing to wave his NMC? :sarcasm:
I liked him a lot when he was with sabres

He marches to his own drummer. Hell of a player but not sure he would be good for the locker room and accountability focus

I liked him a lot when he was with sabres

He marches to his own drummer. Hell of a player but not sure he would be good for the locker room and accountability focus
He seems to be a rules don’t apply to me type of guy

Reactions: Jacob582

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Based on the 10+ Edmonton games I saw in the playoffs last year no I don't want Evander Kane on our roster.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Skinner had probably reached his expiration date but I’m not convinced they’ll replace his goals this year. Maybe they’ll be that much better on D that they don’t have to worry about it but ya gotta score goals to win games
I get what you’re saying but I don’t think losing Skinner will matter much to the overall situation. This is coming from someone who doesn’t hate Skinner and usually defends him on here. But I’m looking at the big picture and how he helps/or doesn’t the team’s play 5v5, on PK and PP. The 3 game states that all contribute to determining if you can outscore your opponents overall.

5v5

Last season was the first time in 12 years they outscored their opponents 5v5 (174 to 159). Thats with with 4 of our top 5 goal scorers from 22-23 (Tage/Skinner/Cozens/VO) having big drop offs in goal production (combined they scored 44 fewer goals). Yet we still managed to be tied for the 12th most GF 5v5 and only 5 fewer than the 6th place team. They only dropped off 23 goals from the prior year (197 to 174) largely due to Peterka's breakout (+13 goals) and found money with Benson’s 10.

They won the 5v5 battle by shaving 45 goals off from what was given up the year before (from 204 to 159). They gave up the 11th fewest goals against. Mostly due to goaltending.

They don’t need to produce offense like two years ago to pull this off again. They just need to get near last season’s goals scored. Which seems like a very repeatable thing to do. I don’t think losing Skinner’s 15 goals from last season will make it much harder.

They also need to keep the goals against around the same. I think focusing on this is the more important task. Addressing team defense and structure/discipline to do just that has been a theme with their coaching hire and offseason moves. Skinner doesn’t help in those areas and it’s probably the main reason he was bought out.

PK

Obviously Skinner doesn’t PK. But I bring it up because last season our 5v5 play and PK weren’t perfect but were doing their jobs to help our chances of “scoring more goals than the opponent”. Our PK improved from being 28th (73% kill rate) two years ago to 13th (79.8%) last year.

PP

This was the shit show that killed our season. We went from 9th best conversion rate (23.4%) two years ago to 28th (16.6%) last season. The 4th most PP minutes (450mins) to the 29th (372mins). The 9th most PP goals (63) to the 30th (37). We couldn’t draw penalties or convert them when we got them. This is a priority to fix and they don’t need Skinner here to do it.

Our overall goal totals last season (all situations)

GF -> 244 or 2.98 GF/gm (23rd)
GA -> 243 or 2.96 GA/gm (11th)

If we had a PP similarly successful as two years ago we would have had an overall top 10 offense. Paired with our 11th fewest goal allowed would put us, at worst, in the thick of a playoff race last and at best we make it.

I laid it out this way because I think you need to look at the big picture to see where losing Skinner impacts us or doesn’t. The most that could be said is we may miss his 5v5 goals. But with all the other things being addressed were he doesn’t help (team defense/PP), I think its hard to argue he’s needed to “outscore our opponents” overall.

Last edited:

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I get what you’re saying but I don’t think losing Skinner will matter much to the overall situation. This is coming from someone who doesn’t hate Skinner and usually defends him on here. But I’m looking at the big picture and how he helps/or doesn’t the team’s play 5v5, on PK and PP. The 3 game states that all contribute to determining if you can outscore your opponents overall.

5v5

Last season was the first time in 12 years they outscored their opponents 5v5 (174 to 159). Thats with with 4 of our top 5 goal scorers from 22-23 (Tage/Skinner/Cozens/VO) having big drop offs in goal production (combined they scored 44 fewer goals). Yet we still managed to be tied for the 12th most GF 5v5 and only 5 fewer than the 6th place team. They only dropped off 23 goals from the prior year (197 to 174) largely due to Peterka's breakout (+13 goals) and found money with Benson’s 10.

They won the 5v5 battle by shaving 45 goals off from what was given up the year before (from 204 to 159). They gave up the 11th fewest goals against. Mostly due to goaltending.

They don’t need to produce offense like two years ago to pull this off again. They just need to get near last season’s goals scored. Which seems like a very repeatable thing to do. I don’t think losing Skinner’s 15 goals from last season will make it much harder.

They also need to keep the goals against around the same. I think focusing on this is the more important task. Addressing team defense and structure/discipline to do just that has been a theme with their coaching hire and offseason moves. Skinner doesn’t help in those areas and it’s probably the main reason he was bought out.

PK

Obviously Skinner doesn’t PK. But I bring it up because last season our 5v5 play and PK weren’t perfect but were doing their jobs to help our chances of “scoring more goals than the opponent”. Our PK improved from being 28th (73% kill rate) two years ago to 13th (79.8%) last year.

PP

This was the shit show that killed our season. We went from 9th best conversion rate (23.4%) two years ago to 28th (16.6%) last season. The 4th most PP minutes (450mins) to the 29th (372mins). The 9th most PP goals (63) to the 30th (37). We couldn’t draw penalties or convert them when we got them. This is a priority to fix and they don’t need Skinner here to do it.

If we had a PP similarly successful as two years ago we would have had an overall top 10 offense. Paired with our 11th fewest goal allowed would put us, at worst, in the thick of a playoff race last and at best we make it.

I laid it out this way because I think you need to look at the big picture to see where losing Skinner impacts us or doesn’t. The most that could be said is we may miss his 5v5 goals. But with all the other things being addressed were he doesn’t help (team defense/PP), I think its hard to argue he’s needed to “outscore our opponents” overall.
1723405062052.jpeg

More than just the raw total I see a stylistic hole in someone who’s both willing to go in close and has the skill to maneuver and finish there. Maybe benson takes off to the stratosphere but otherwise I think they’ll lack both that possession and reactiveness. Granted, if Ruff delivers, it may not matter

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
While this is true, it's more than that. Its the inability to assess needs. It's inability to address needs. (which are hand in hand)

The fact he said he needed to add a top 6 forward and came away with Zucker is a red flag.

The fact that he didn't even attempt to modify the defense is a red flag.

Adams simply isn't a good GM. He's a good person and, from the sounds of it, a good manager. He simply doesn't have the right temperament or acumen to be a GM.

You need more of a ultracompetive CEO type, he's the nice manager who didn't say anything when you came in 30 minutes late everyday.
Yeah. I agree he can't assess needs either. I just think step 1 is assessing what you have, and then step 2 you can move on to what you need.

It's impossible to know what you need if you don't know what you have.

Adams assessment of the team hasn't lined up with reality.

2020-21:
Adams thought we were: Taylor Hall away from the cup. So he got us Tay tay
Reality: Last in the entire league

2021-22:
Adams thought we were: Tanking. Losing Ullmark for nothing. Eichel situation, trading away Reinhart and Risto, etc. He added the bare minimum to fill out roster spots while spending to the cap floor.
Reality: He wasn't far from the truth. But then the team turned the corner from bottom feeder to middling in the final 2 months of the season through nothing but adding Tuch, internal growth and getting healthy.

2022-23:
Adams thought we were: still a 75 point team and that the end of season growth was a mirage. His off season moves reflect that. He made no real additions. Still at the cap floor.
Reality: we were a 91 point team without any real additions.

2023-24
Adams thought we were: a 95+ point team if we ran it back with no improvements
Reality: we were an 84 point team

2024-25
Adams thinks: needed to reshape the bottom 6. Thinks the defense is set. Is counting on the top 6 to take a step forward with no outside additions.
Reality: to be determined

KeepKane

May 6, 2015

5v5

PK

PP

Awesome post. Skinner's gone because it's tough to get guys to buy into playing a certain way when the highest paid winger plays like him. Skinner will be a good fit in Edm and prob one of the best bargain contracts in terms of goals/$.

Ruff's focus is pretty simple....

#1 Fix the PP- This should not be a hard task at all. Byram's movement on the PP last year was eye opening. He would drift away from puck carrier to create space and run into other Sabres time after time. Our players need to have way better spatial awareness and MOVE to the open ice. Quinn should also help with some firepower across from Thompson. Dahlin needs to step up and Captain a top PP unit.

#2 Get everyone in top shape and ready to play most nights(some back2back games you just might not have it). Mitts quote after a morning skate in Col, Adams, Tuch, Cozens, Lafferty and NAK all said guys have to be in better shape at start of year and coaches need to be tougher/faster on guys. Team added speed with McCleod, Malenstyn, Lafferty, NAK, & Byram now Ruff needs to get them to practice and play faster.

#3 Develop young top tier players (Quinn, Cozens, Benson, Peterka, Power, Byram). These are all top 10 picks (sans Peterka) that have all the tools to be elite for us. Ruff needs to find what works best for each guy in order to reach their potential all while fitting into what the team needs . Should be comprised of a combination of more ice time or PP time, tough love, hard conversations, limiting ice time, PP1--> PP2 or PP2 to bench, maybe even watching a game or two from upstairs.

I'm excited for the season to start!!

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
Call me a deranged optimist but I love the makeup of the first two lines. It might not look as sexy on paper but they're combos you're always happy to see jump over the boards.
I really think Quinn becomes a first liner this year. I think he's got a higher hockey IQ and is more defensively aware than Tuch. And I love Tuch.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
DC24, ask Byram what MacK always did and start doing that.
Easy, MacK was friends with Crosby and Marchand. Greatness trained with greatness and each player bolstered their good habits, and strengthened their weaknesses.

Reactions: Butt Ox

KeepKane

May 6, 2015
I really think Quinn becomes a first liner this year. I think he's got a higher hockey IQ and is more defensively aware than Tuch. And I love Tuch.
I want to see Tage-Quinn as a pair and then Cozens-Tuch. Cozens and tuch can be an elite all situations 2nd line that are difficult to play against.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
View attachment 900359

More than just the raw total I see a stylistic hole in someone who’s both willing to go in close and has the skill to maneuver and finish there. Maybe benson takes off to the stratosphere but otherwise I think they’ll lack both that possession and reactiveness. Granted, if Ruff delivers, it may not matter
Skinner will certainly go to the net but he didn’t do it much last season. A sign of that was he drew the fewest penalties of his career. Thats not an indictment of him either. It’s pointing out that even the guys with that in their game were neutered last year by a team wide systemic problem.

Cozens and Quinn, not Benson, are the first names that come to mind of higher end players still here willing to go to the net + the skill to finish. Quinn in particular would be the prefect replacement for Skinner. Obviously he's a winger. But he brings much of the same offensive skills/that snarky chippiness while playing a better team game and is much better defensively.

At 5v5v last season - Quinn 27gms 8g 8a 16pts (24g 48pts pace) That pace is up there with Skinner’s best seasons. Thats after Quinn put up in 75gms 13g 30pts the year before. A 15-20 goal/35+ point season is a pretty realistic expectation for Quinn next year, he may even repeat what he started last year. Either way, that should be more than enough to replace whats lost with Skinner offensively while getting a much better all around play.

Anything Benson does on top of Cozens/Quinn would be gravy.

Skinner was never a great possession player. He was just as likely to kill possession as to maintain it. Not sure what you mean by reactiveness.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
We have Offer Sheets!
Blues have offer sheet-ed both (Edm) Holloway and Broberg

I love doing that in the EA games. Teams go nuts in free agency and don’t sign their RFA, and don’t have the room to match offer sheets. So I pay them just enough to not have to send anything back, but more than the cap space the other team has. :laugh:

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Skinner will certainly go to the net but he didn’t do it much last season. A sign of that was he drew the fewest penalties of his career. Thats not an indictment of him either. It’s pointing out that even the guys with that in their game were neutered last year by a team wide systemic problem.

Cozens and Quinn, not Benson, are the first names that come to mind of higher end players still here willing to go to the net + the skill to finish. Quinn in particular would be the prefect replacement for Skinner. Obviously he's a winger. But he brings much of the same offensive skills/that snarky chippiness while playing a better team game and is much better defensively.

At 5v5v last season - Quinn 27gms 8g 8a 16pts (24g 48pts pace) That pace is up there with Skinner’s best seasons. Thats after Quinn put up in 75gms 13g 30pts the year before. A 15-20 goal/35+ point season is a pretty realistic expectation for Quinn next year, he may even repeat what he started last year. Either way, that should be more than enough to replace whats lost with Skinner offensively while getting a much better all around play.

Anything Benson does on top of Cozens/Quinn would be gravy.

Skinner was never a great possession player. He was just as likely to kill possession as to maintain it. Not sure what you mean by reactiveness.
Not in terms of hard-driving play, just in-close finishing. In the same way, what I meant to suggest by possession isn’t like advanced-metric style, just literally personally maintaining the puck on his stick deep in the zone and quick shooting around the net. The reactive quality for me is the brain-body connection to adjust in order to retrieve the puck in close proximity to goal and fire it when appropriate, which in spite of his *many* bad habits is an attitude I think is otherwise lacking among the forwards. You mention that a team-wide issue and I think we agree that there’s room to reestablish behaviors, but I do worry about the general capacity of some of our high end forwards. Skinner exhibited what you could reasonably call laziness and selfishness in his bad habits, but I seldom saw him as a dumb or hesitant player.

E: thinking about it a bit though, there’s a fine line between “lazy” and “stupid” and I’m not sure it’s objectively measurable. Skinner making a conscious choice to do something dumb vs Tage or Tuch not knowing better feels true to me and I’d stand on it, but it’s not really possible to prove it for obvious reasons

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad