The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
Which player I'd rather have between Zegras vs necas all depends on what other moves are made

Could make arguments that both would be great adds, the spot and role they are acquired to fill is what would make me like it hate the move

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Necas+Kotkaniemi for 11+Jokiharju+Rosen?

Peterka - Thompson - Quinn
Benson - Cozens - Necas
Greenway - Kotkaniemi - Tuch
Krebs - [ADD] - [ADD]

Not tuch JK and having another buy out in 2 years. Taking JK removes 11OA.

The deal needs to include

Quinn/Peterka +Jokiharju+Krebs + 2nd for Necas+Drury+

11OA not traded.

Buffalo could trade down some then move a late teen with a pick coming back

Signing Necas for $8M causes cap issues u lesssalsry us moved.

As I've said they might have $4M in space without skinner bought out. 4m and quinn/ peterka could swallow necas salary.

They could also trade Power/Byram

Does Necas rule out Kane then ?
Kane could do s 1yr of skinner is bought out.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Got this for the front of our house for the wife and I. Took about a week and a half and they verified with a picture before they made it to make sure we were getting what we wanted. We love it!

20240626_183521.jpg

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Yeah. This lazy comparison is driving me insane as well. Necas is a stud, it is unlikely we get him, and he will be a positive addition to whoever gets him.

A young speedy offensive driver is skinner because he isn’t physically tough to play against…
Either way, it's a relatively sideways move to pay a non-physical/tough/forechecking playoff type winger big money plus the dead cap of the non-physical/tough/forechecking playoff type winger that you replaced.'

Ok great...a younger version of Skinner for a long-term contract at between 9-13 mil per season when adding the dead cap, depending what stage of the buy-out, that STILL isn't the guy you want in rounds 2-4.

I'd rather ditch Skinner's contract asap, rather than ditch Skinner asap. I'd also rather get bigger/heavier/stronger/tougher if hoops are being jumped through to clear cap space.

BTW - this is a rumor I believe because it already came out a while back that the Sabres scouting dept wanted Necas over Mittelstadt, but Botts took Mitts (which now looks like - oh wait WAS a lucky break).

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Yeah. This lazy comparison is driving me insane as well. Necas is a stud, it is unlikely we get him, and he will be a positive addition to whoever gets him.

A young speedy offensive driver is skinner because he isn’t physically tough to play against…
He can't win faceoffs and he is terrible defensively, he also wants to play at center.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Necas was bottom 2 each of the last few years among canes forwards in shot, goal, and xgoal differential stats. Its just not a tempting scenario given the contract and trade prices

The pessimistic side of me thinks the buyout is actually an overcorrection from Terry, and he wants to show he's serious about winning by getting the new hot name, and mad that people think his 9M guy is lazy.

The optimistic side of me thinks that trading for a guy like Necas could be akin to the briere addition back in the day, and we could maybe there's another level he hasn't shown yet.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
As long as the extension to Manga is reasonable, I'm all for it.

And I personally won't think it's a sin if Skinner is bought out. Yeah, the $6+M against the cap in 26/27 might hurt, but it's still ~$2.5M less than it would be if Skinner was on the roster. I'm relatively unconcerned about the ~$2.5M cap hit the last 3 years as the cap is going up and it'll be a pittiance.

It's 1.5M less, they still need to have a league minimum player in the slot.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Is Necas what we need???

Just use whatever it’s gonna cost to acquire him and use it to pry Cirelli and Jeanotte from Tampa….about the same salaries and they’d make us a hella lot better
I think our top needs are a top 4 defensive defenseman and a strong two-way middle 6 center.

If I had to choose one it’s the D-man. I think we’re very weak on the back end. We have young talent but they need a veteran presence that’s actually capable of playing good hockey.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
I think our top needs are a top 4 defensive defenseman and a strong two-way middle 6 center.

If I had to choose one it’s the D-man. I think we’re very weak on the back end. We have young talent but they need a veteran presence that’s actually capable of playing good hockey.
? “ very weak on the backend “ is hilarious and not equal to adding a vet presence

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Haven’t really been following the offseason storylines for the first time in a long time… always have liked Necas though. He’s a hell of a skater.

I do think we need to consolidated our young forwards a bit. Necas would be a good place to start.

Should be an interesting week. I think the FO might finally be aggressive in making this roster as good as they can with their cap space. One can hope I guess.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
? “ very weak on the backend “ is hilarious and not equal to adding a vet presence
They are weak. Talented but weak. Defenseman take time to reach potential.

Our entire top 4 D and goalie averages like 22-23 years old. We’re not going to have much success with that for a while. Our older defense are terrible.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Not sure how I feel about Necas for potentially 11OA and then the estimates on his possible salary.
Necas is better than pretty much every 11th overall pick since 2005 (Kopitar) so I am all for including It in the deal. Salary will be interesting though if It happens.

I’m curious, where do you think Necas slots in the lineup and is there a specific role you see him in?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Necas is better than pretty much every 11th overall pick since 2005 (Kopitar) so I am all for including It in the deal. Salary will be interesting though if It happens.

I’m curious, where do you think Necas slots in the lineup and is there a specific role you see him in?

They were once supposedly interested in him, not sure how they slot him. *shrug* Maybe he gets some center time, maybe just on LW?

Reactions: The Blunder Years

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

If they trade for Necas I’d bet he starts on Cozens wing. Quinn on the other. Lot of heavy two way lifting for Quinn on that line but Cozens has proven to need his wingers to drive lines…and Peterka probably has first look at top line usage with how he finished last year.

A healthy Quinn and Necas would be a big upgrade on last year’s second line. Stronger top six. Especially since Peterka more than replaces Skinner At this point.

Need some dogs in the bottom six. Benson is a third line dog next year. Greenway probably on the other wing. Want more of a matchup guy than Krebs in that center spot for sure though. You get a good defensive matchup C and that line can do something with a coach who understands matchups.

4th line…i got nothing.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Not sure how I feel about Necas for potentially 11OA and then the estimates on his possible salary.

I dont like it.

I have concerns on cap getting handcuffed

you need to move Paterka/Quinn/Power/Byram to making the cap work.

I hate this analysys of comparing specific drafted spots. It utterly meaningless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad