Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
If we end with:

Necas
Jensen + Dowd
Blake Coleman

Are you okay going into next season?

I suppose it'd depend on what else we do in the bottom 6.....also assuming in this scenario that Joker goes elsewhere. I'd also have to wonder who'd play their off-side. Necas, Tuch and Quinn are all right-handers.

Necas-Tage-Tuch
Peterka-Cozens-Quinn
Coleman-Krebs-Benson
????-Dowd-?????

Byram-Dahlin
Power-Jensen
Sammy-Clifton

that's a helluva top 9 forwards and top 6 D. Get a couple of other PK/grindy guys to go with Dowd and we're probably looking at a legit run at the playoffs with decent goaltending.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Analytically, Necas seems like a less extreme Skinner - both bad defensive impacts and strong offensive impacts, but Skinner was worse defensively and better offensively.

Necas is also seven years younger, which is something. $8.75M x 8 (EH's projection) is a tough pill to swallow, though.

It's a weird choice, and like others have said, it seems a lot like the Byram deal - amass talent without a plan to build a well-rounded team.

If it's part of a much bigger offseason with more solid depth moves, then I suppose I get it?

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Nothing with Necas replacing Skinner makes me happy. They are practically the same player only slightly taller
Replacing Skinner (and his residual cap hit....and minus the assets to get Necas) with Necas would certainly be a choice.

That said, Necas is flat-out faster than Skinner. And apparently Carolina fans don't all seem to think that Necas is a zero in his own zone.

I can see the appeal....but I agree that I don't see the fit.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It's a weird choice, and like others have said, it seems a lot like the Byram deal - amass talent without a plan to build a well-rounded team.

If it's part of a much bigger offseason with more solid depth moves, then I suppose I get it?

That's exactly where I'd be at. KA would have to really hone in on grit and defense in our bottom 6 forwards. But then it would kind of create an interesting dichotomy where our bottom 6 might be light on offense but heavy on D......and then our top 6 heavy on offense but light on D........

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Necas is also seven years younger, which is something. $8.75M x 8 (EH's projection) is a tough pill to swallow, though.
I don't believe he's going to get that kind of contract now. His best season was 22-23, when he had 28 goals and 71 points. Last season he had 53 points.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
That's exactly where I'd be at. KA would have to really hone in on grit and defense in our bottom 6 forwards. But then it would kind of create an interesting dichotomy where our bottom 6 might be light on offense but heavy on D......and then our top 6 heavy on offense but light on D........
Unless we go for a roll-four-balanced-lines strategy? Really can't piece it together.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Nothing with Necas replacing Skinner makes me happy. They are practically the same player only slightly taller
I just don’t agree. He creates offense and can help drive play, and isn’t a black hole in his own end.

He’s a very talented offensive player.

Just because a player isn’t a two-way forward or tough or gritty, doesn’t mean they are Jeff skinner.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Necas or Zegras...who you choosing?!
Zegras

Well, I may be a little biased here, he was my favorite in the draft and I like his style of play overall. But he's an elite playmaker, I think we has a lot of scoring potential without Skinner (Tage, Quinn, Peterka and a few other guys now and in the future), but we don't have a player like Zegras, even if he's a winger.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Unless we go for a roll-four-balanced-lines strategy? Really can't piece it together.
Ruff did say he wanted to be able to roll lines, didn't he? I honestly think you can balance the lines out with either of those two. Again, it would all come down to the other moves Adams makes.

Zegras

Well, I may be a little biased here, he was my favorite in the draft and I like his style of play overall. But he's an elite playmaker, I think he has a lot of scoring potential without Skinner (Tage, Quinn, Peterka and a few other guys now and in the future), but we don't have a player like Zegras, even if he's a winger.
I have to admit, I'm enticed by his potential.

Reactions: Fjordy

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Necas is nothing like Skinner. Skinner is a better goal scorer, stronger on his skates and better in tight spaces. Necas is more free wheeling, a better playmaker at speed and has elite speed and he can make plays at speed. He’s a one man entry on the PP.

Necas never dogged it coming back. He tries on D, but as a winger, sometimes makes the wrong read or takes the wrong angle.

His biggest flaw IMO, is that at times, he tries to do too much and gets himself into trouble and he hasn’t really gone into the dirty areas. Given who his linemates were, I can see why.

He’d be best on a line with other guys who have speed and can put the puck in the net.

Unlike Skinner, I was hoping the canes would keep Necas, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I don’t begrudge him for wanting to move. He was on PP2 and his most common 5v5 linemates were Jack Drury, Michael Bunting and Kotkaniemi. Last year he was on pp1, played a lot with Svech and Aho (as well as Kotkaniemi )
Thanks for the info!

My first thought was definitely “younger, faster version of Jeff Skinner”. Glad to hear that’s not accurate.

Why do you think Carolina isn’t interested in giving him the bigger role he wants and/or paying him?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Even AFP's long-term number scares me: 7 x $7.5M, when considering who else we have to sign. I don't mind the 3 x $6.25M deal - but then, why not just keep Mitts?
Yes, that also looks rich. And it would be dangerous to sign him to such a contract right away, since he hasn't played a single game for us and we don't know how it will look.

I don't know why it happened with Mitts, maybe Adams just really wanted to add a top 4 D and he liked Byram.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I really like Necas, and haven’t watched a lot of Zegras.

But there is room in our top 9 for a great offensive talent. We have Peterka, Quinn, benson, Tuch, Thompson, cozens, and probably greenway. There’s room. Just because we need to become tougher to play against doesn’t preclude us from adding a fun player like necas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad